Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Another Izzo Rumor

oh, it must be that time of year again. it was the timberwolves last year

If I'm Izzo I don't touch the Pistons with a ten foot pole. They just fired a guy that didn't even get a full year. He has it too good @ MSU. Big $$ and indefinite job security. The good thing for this is MSU will probably give him a raise becasue of this rumor.

Izzo would be a complete failure in the NBA. His coaching style would not translate well.

I hope he doesn't get the job because I don't want to have to look at those whiny faces that dooshbag makes for 82 games.

The Pistons need to fire Joe Dumars and go after an established coach.

Last edited:
I don't see Izzo leaving for the NBA. I know he has repeatedly said that he hates the recruiting process, but I don't think that'll make him leave. If anything he'll retire before taking the Pistons job. Phil Jackson could coach the Pistons and wouldn't even come close to being a .500 team. The front office and players all suck. It's not the coach.

There is a way I can see this happening. One, Gores fires Dumars (who is the mastermind behind our coaching carousel the last decade plus). Two, Gores brings Izzo in to help choose the next GM, someone that Izzo knows and feels he can work with. Three, Gores offers minimum 5 years guaranteed at minimum 5 million per year (with incentives for more).

Having our first round pick probably would help too. Gores and the new GM would need to completely empower Izzo to do what he wants with the players (benching Smith for extended periods if he takes jumpers). And even then, we'll need a more than solid offseason to make a big jump in the standings (still have to move Monroe or Smith, still have to hit on the pick, still have to sign shooters and hopefully a better PG).

The only reason I think Izzo might entertain the offer is due to recent recruiting. Izzo will turn any class into a tourney team, but he seems to be getting a little burned out with those top recruits flip-flopping and slipping through his fingers.

he did comment on it today

"There's been so many rumors over the years. People used to recruit against us 10 years ago that I'd be gone. I'm still here and a lot of those schools have had three different coaches. I've always said I'd never say never to anything, because you don't know what it brings. But I've got so much more work to do here. I've got a great president, a great AD in Mark Hollis and a football coach that really gets along. This is a pretty good place for me right now. We're in a pretty good spot. The program's in pretty good shape. Ain't broke. Why fix it?

he did comment on it today

"There's been so many rumors over the years. People used to recruit against us 10 years ago that I'd be gone. I'm still here and a lot of those schools have had three different coaches. I've always said I'd never say never to anything, because you don't know what it brings. But I've got so much more work to do here. I've got a great president, a great AD in Mark Hollis and a football coach that really gets along. This is a pretty good place for me right now. We're in a pretty good spot. The program's in pretty good shape. Ain't broke. Why fix it?

you say that so it brings you another fat raise!

Working with spoiled millionaires is very different, and probably much more frustrating at times, than working with college student-athletes hungry to prove themselves worthy of being future spoiled millionaires.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Izzo leaving a great gig at MSU for the train wreck the Pistons organization has become.

Wait a second, did Ed Martin do something new that now screws the Bulls and Heat and Pacers and the rest of the Eastern Conference for the next 20yrs regarding free agency and drafting??

No....? Wait, what ...he's dead....?

Forget it. Stay in Lansing.

Last edited:
Wait a second, did Ed Martin do something new that now screws the Bulls and Heat and Pacers and the rest of the Eastern Conference for the next 20yrs regarding free agency and drafting??

No....? Wait, what ...he's dead....?

Forget it. Stay in Lansing.

great argument

Hey, you wouldn't have been as good if we hadn't gotten caught the biggest pay for play scandal in NCAA basketball history!

Back