Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preferred player in the draft?

lgolfer

If the Pistons are able to keep their draft pick, let's say they're picking at #8. Who would you want them to take, realistically?

Without having thought about it a lot yet, I think Doug McDermott would be a great fit at SF. He's a very efficient scorer (something the Pistons don't currently have), he's one of the best shooters in the draft (great accuracy and quick release), can score from anywhere on the court (post-up, mid-range, or from 3), and has a very high basketball IQ. The biggest question I'd have about him is on defense. But if he's able to be average on defense, we'd likely have Josh Smith and Drummond behind him to cover any mistakes.

Marcus Smart is another guy who intrigues me. He's a very good point guard and great defender. His shot needs to continue improving and of course there are the "character concerns" from this season, but he would be a great PG for the future, although we'd have to figure out what to do with Jennings.

What do you guys think about these 2 players and who else would you like to see them draft?

I like the McDermott idea as well. He'll bring some much needed shooting to the team and has good size.

I'm not high on Smart, he's got skills but he's a tweener guard and his game reminds me of Stuckey a bit but a little more under control. He's not a very good shooter. I don't see him making that much of an impact. Maybe a good 6th man.

Last edited:
Marcus Smart's stock has dropped off so much. I'd be very surprised if he goes top 10.

I don't know what they'd do with Jennings, but Dante Exum might fall to 8 because of his youth, hard to say.

They definitely need someone who can shoot. I kind of like Monroe, why trade him?

They definitely need someone who can shoot. I kind of like Monroe, why trade him?

It's because either him or Josh Smith needs to go. It's been a failed experiment on Dumars' part. Unfortunately because of the large contract that Dumars gave Smith, his trade value is very low and the Pistons are unlikely to get anything good for him. On the other hand, Monroe's contract expires at the end of this season, but we'd be able to execute a sign-and-trade deal with another team to give Monroe an extra year on his contract. Monroe has a lot more trade value than Smith unfortunately.

It's because either him or Josh Smith needs to go. It's been a failed experiment on Dumars' part. Unfortunately because of the large contract that Dumars gave Smith, his trade value is very low and the Pistons are unlikely to get anything good for him. On the other hand, Monroe's contract expires at the end of this season, but we'd be able to execute a sign-and-trade deal with another team to give Monroe an extra year on his contract. Monroe has a lot more trade value than Smith unfortunately.

Granted I don't watch the NBA but I do play NBA2K :). Can't Smith play SF with the two bigs? I think a PG who can shoot and be more consistent would round this team out..

Granted I don't watch the NBA but I do play NBA2K :). Can't Smith play SF with the two bigs? I think a PG who can shoot and be more consistent would round this team out..

The floor spacing just hasn't worked. Smith is a poor 3 point shooter, which means there is very little room for Monroe and Drummond to work down low. Also, Smith is a very good scorer down low and if he plays SF, he can't be down low very often. And at times Smith has struggled defending other SFs.

The floor spacing just hasn't worked. Smith is a poor 3 point shooter, which means there is very little room for Monroe and Drummond to work down low. Also, Smith is a very good scorer down low and if he plays SF, he can't be down low very often. And at times Smith has struggled defending other SFs.

Got it. Thanks.

although the draft is top heavy it tails off quick after like the top 6. The options you guys are talking about seem to be the best. Smart or McDermott although id throw in Ennis. But if im honest I don't like any of those players THAT much. Id almost rather give up the pick this year than potentially lose a better pick next year. Sf id say is the most important need. Problem is theres no good prospective SFs in the top 10. McDermott will be considered one but he cant guard any position in the NBA...and your true position is who can you guard?

Trade Monroe and our pick for the rights to Wiggins :D

Last edited:
although the draft is top heavy it tails off quick after like the top 6. The options you guys are talking about seem to be the best. Smart or McDermott although id throw in Ennis. But if im honest I don't like any of those players THAT much. Id almost rather give up the pick this year than potentially lose a better pick next year. Sf id say is the most important need. Problem is theres no good prospective SFs in the top 10. McDermott will be considered one but he cant guard any position in the NBA...and your true position is who can you guard?

It would probably take more than that to get Wiggins, and we need a shooter which Wiggins is not.

McDermott is Adam Morrison 2.0.

Won't be able to get his own shot in the NBA....can't defend. He'll be a teams 7th or 8th man in 3 years.

McDermott is Adam Morrison 2.0.

Won't be able to get his own shot in the NBA....can't defend. He'll be a teams 7th or 8th man in 3 years.

He'll be better than Morrison. I don't expect McDermott to be an all-star, but he will definitely be better than Morrison.

Cleanthony Early might be the best SF on the board by the time we pick. Him and Young from Kentucky will probably both be viewed as reaches there.....but its a pretty weak draft at that position.

Back