Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sell Me This Pen...

tinselwolverine

So I just saw The Wolf of Wall Street...I rented it from Netflix, and just like Jordan Belfort was really pissed off that he only made $49 million in one year instead of $52 million, I was pissed off that none of my Hollywood pals was able to lend me the DVD before it was available...

So whether ya saw the movie or not...the whole stupid "sell me this pen..." sales acumen test, or whatever I guess, was a sort of prominent theme motif...

Thing is...I'm looking it up on line...and it seems that NOBODY knows the absolute and indisputable correct first response to the question...

Is it a question?

There is an absolute correct response that salesperson who knows the difference between his or her genitalia and the part of their hand they use to service it (notice no sexism here; lots of babes are great salespeople) would respond with.

Margot Robbie can sell me anything she wants.

margot-robbie-gif-18.gif

Margot Robbie can sell me anything she wants.

Yeah, and Cristin Miliotti, the Mother in...well....the Mother finally in How I Met Your Mother....Call me a sap, but I think she's just cute as a plumb...looks like Bubba Watson is getting himself in pretty good shape for another green jacket; at last look fifteen minutes ago, our Tigers were blowing chunks...

Yeah, and Cristin Miliotti, the Mother in...well....the Mother finally in How I Met Your Mother....Call me a sap, but I think she's just cute as a plumb...looks like Bubba Watson is getting himself in pretty good shape for another green jacket; at last look fifteen minutes ago, our Tigers were blowing chunks...

She is cute. Don't know if you watched/followed the show. I thought the ending was kinda disappointing.

She is cute. Don't know if you watched/followed the show. I thought the ending was kinda disappointing.

I binged watched it on Netflex/local independent television stations over the summer.

Loved the show, once I started following it.

The wife did to.

The ending was more than disappointing to me; and also to the wife.

Actually slightly a little depressing, even.

But the actress who played the mother is super cute, and (spoiler alert) thankfully, still alive!!

I was a little disappointed in Wolf of Wall St. It was good, but not as good as it thought it was. 2 things, nudity and length (length of the film in minutes...just in case mentioning nudity primed your mind to think of anything else). In films with aspirations, I think nudity and length, if they go beyond the norm, indicate the mark the director thinks he's hit. Maybe I should just limit my comment to the length of the film so I don't sound like a prude. I found the ratio of time:interesting things to be lacking. It was a good movie, but it could have been an equally good 2 hr movie. Especially, when they went out of their way to make it sound like they were trimming the uninteresting bits with the "I'm gonna skip the financial details you don't need to know" twice. Keep in mind, I really enjoyed Nebraska, so it's not like I can't appreciate a movie with a more relaxed pace.

Sex scenes don't enhance a movie. There is no reason for it..those scenes didn't make the movie better. It could have been so much better..

Well...for better or worse...those things were apparently really going on; all the sex and all the drugs and criminality and such.

Jordan Belfort wrote his book, The Wolf of Wall Street at the encouragement of Tommy Chong, who he served time with at whatever Club Fed he ended up going to.

I didn't know before I saw the movie that the title was taken from the title of that Forbes article.

God you are such a prude.

Maybe but watching a sex scene I'm not suddenly saying "oh man this movies getting good now".

Call me prude if you want I just want to see a good movie.

Well...for better or worse...those things were apparently really going on; all the sex and all the drugs and criminality and such.

Jordan Belfort wrote his book, The Wolf of Wall Street at the encouragement of Tommy Chong, who he served time with at whatever Club Fed he ended up going to.

I didn't know before I saw the movie that the title was taken from the title of that Forbes article.

Yeah, but how many times do you need to be told it was going on? Something a little scandalous in the beginning, cutting the hair of that one lady had an impact, maybe the big panning scene at the end towards the end that showed the scale it got to...I guess you could see that like the mountain of coke in Scarface, but it didn't have the same impact. You see Coke Mountain and it's "Whoa! Check out Coke Mountain!", but you pan over the Sea of Debauchery, and it's "Yeah, yeah, it goes on and on...it's been going on and on for 3 hours now. I get it."

Less coulda been more. I guess that's what I'm saying. The slow trickle of nudity through the whole movie had less of an impact than the right scenes in the right places would have had. I mean, if we're going to hold things thing up to the high artistic standards I had the impression it was worthy of. I'm nitpicking here. I feel far more strongly that it was just too long, cause it really goes for everything. There's a slow trickle of not giving a crap and defrauding the customers. There's a slow trickle of everything. It's just slow.

Last edited:
I get your point.

New it was a long movie, and I thought it would be too long for me to watch in one sitting, but it turns out that wasn't the way I felt.

I really liked it.

As for the amount of sex and nudity and the debauchery that was portrayed, maybe it was the filmmakers intent to show just how much of that type of thing was going on in that environment.

Last edited:
I get your point.

New it was a long movie, and I thought it would be too long for me to watch in one sitting, but it turns out that wasn't the way I felt.

I really liked it.

As for the amount of sex and nudity and the debauchery that was portrayed, maybe it was the filmmakers intent to show just how much of that type of thing was going on in that environment.

Voice recognition?

You mean my texting? Place recognition? I voice text almost everything these days.

You mean my texting? Place recognition? I voice text almost everything these days.

Yeah. Your voice text software is pretty good. The thought that you were voice-texting never crossed my mind 'til that last post. You should send a copy to ML.

Last edited:
Back