Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anybody here go to church?

michiganalex

I went to Mt. Haley Church of God, in Midland but since i moved to st. Clair, i started going to First United Methodist here in town.

Yes. Often. It's the most important thing I do in a given day.

I went to this...Jewish Chapel, I guess...at Mt. Sanai cemetery last Sunday for a funeral.

I went to a funeral home in Merrill, for a memorial ceremony conducted by some Protestant minister last February.

I recently went to a wedding at some kind of synagogue or temple.

I got married under a huppa - that Jewish canopy like in Fiddler on the Roof - two years ago tomorrow - at the Fremont Hotel in Dallas.

A little over a year ago, during my mother's last days, I took her to Catholic Mass at the care facility where she spent her final days.

A couple years ago and change, I went to that famous cemetery in Hollywood - I think it's named Hollywood Forever - and attended a multi-denominational funeral for my on again off again paramour of over twenty years.

A couple of other funerals at Mt. Sanai, going back a few years.

I did go to this ancient church in Ireland that my grandfather had gone to as a kid there.

Pretty much weddings and funerals, and the occasional tourism event, that's it.

The funerals have been outnumbering the weddings and tourist events, and at 53, my guess is that trend is not going to change any.

We baptized champ jr. Last fall. Of course it was not my decision... But it made the wife happy and since it is a meaningless ritual that don't cost nothin' I wasn't going to argue.

Hadn't been in a church (except for famous cathedrals while on vacation) in years, and haven't been in one since!

We baptized champ jr. Last fall. Of course it was not my decision... But it made the wife happy and since it is a meaningless ritual that don't cost nothin' I wasn't going to argue.

Hadn't been in a church (except for famous cathedrals while on vacation) in years, and haven't been in one since!

I'm surprised you and your wife can coexist. Two people on different sides of religion usually don't work out well..

Was it a Russian Orthodox Church? Or a Ukraine Orthodox (I don't know if Ukraine has its own Orthodox branch of the Eastern Orthodox Church group)?

I'm surprised you and your wife can coexist. Two people on different sides of religion usually don't work out well..

Meh. She's "spiritual not religious" or whatever. She wasn't even raised in the church she picked (Ukrainian Greek catholic).
She doesn't really practice any religion but believes in "something else out there. " I usually don't really get into it with her, unless she asks me my thoughts, and even then I say things like "well that's nice sweetie" when she tells me she can see someone's "aura" or feel good or bad "energy" from them. Not everyone can have the mental toughness I do, and deal with the cold hard realities of life as I can, without the mental crutch provided by religious belief.

And that's OKAY. Just keep your fuckin religious displays out of my government buildings.

Was it a Russian Orthodox Church? Or a Ukraine Orthodox (I don't know if Ukraine has its own Orthodox branch of the Eastern Orthodox Church group)?

See my other response. It was Ukrainian catholic. They have their own separate branch of Catholicism. I believe they acknowledge the supremacy of the pope.

That's what we had to sign on the baptismal form anyway. (Yes, my brother and I both lied about it in order to move things along)

Proud to report Champ jr. Screamed bloody murder through the whole ordeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
when she tells me she can see someone's "aura" or feel good or bad "energy" from them...

But that shit is real...I don't use the word "aura," but I sense people's "energy" all the time...

Now it likely doesn't have anything to do with anything supernatural but rather my five sensory perception and my 53 years experience dealing with other people here on the planet; but still, it's real shit...

Last edited:
Meh. She's "spiritual not religious" or whatever. She wasn't even raised in the church she picked (Ukrainian Greek catholic).
She doesn't really practice any religion but believes in "something else out there. " I usually don't really get into it with her, unless she asks me my thoughts, and even then I say things like "well that's nice sweetie" when she tells me she can see someone's "aura" or feel good or bad "energy" from them. Not everyone can have the mental toughness I do, and deal with the cold hard realities of life as I can, without the mental crutch provided by religious belief.

And that's OKAY. Just keep your fuckin religious displays out of my government buildings.

I'm curious why they're your government buildings? They're mine too..

As far as spiritual not religious, baptizing a child is definitely on the religion side.

Last edited:
As far as spiritual not religious, baptizing a child is definitely on the religion side.

I've never baptized a child, but yeah, I politely participate in religious ceremonies when not to participate would be rude, or if I believe it would be rude, such as like I posted in my answer to the OP question...

Which is why I say "I'm really not religious" rather than "I'm not religious..."

I've never baptized a child, but yeah, I politely participate in religious ceremonies when not to participate would be rude, or if I believe it would be rude, such as like I posted in my answer to the OP question...

Which is why I say "I'm really not religious" rather than "I'm not religious..."

Different when you baptize a child. It's a Christian rite of admission and adoption. So that's a pretty big step on the religion side.

Typically people who lack that trait are the same people who claim to others they possess it in abundance. My "religion" is a cross I carry willingly, not a mental crutch I lean on.

But I actually I see your point about religious belief enhancing mental toughness. So do St. Thomas More, St. Lawrence, St. Stephen, St. Perpetua, St. Felicity, St. Agatha, the martyred saints of China, St. Maximilian Kolbe ... I could go on.

I've never heard of anyone baptizing a child who didn't believe in God or did at one point So your wife believes or else she got bored one day and said 'hey you know what..'.

I generally attend services for weddings and funerals, i even go with my wife every other year for easter, but it was more of something to do prior to brunch.

on a side note, my kids do go to a preschool affiliated with a church, more out of convenience than anything else

I've never heard of anyone baptizing a child who didn't believe in God or did at one point So your wife believes or else she got bored one day and said 'hey you know what..'.

I'm not sure why it was so important for her. its not like she goes to church ever or prays or anything like that. her belief system seems pretty cobbled together on an ad hoc basis to me

I'm not sure why it was so important for her. its not like she goes to church ever or prays or anything like that. her belief system seems pretty cobbled together on an ad hoc basis to me

You might need to have a talk with the Lady. She might be harboring feelings for God..:nod:

Last edited:
we no longer actively go to church but do go on occasion ourselves and for occassions, like weddings etc. I am fine without the orthopraxy of going to service once per week at this stage but find no fault with people who are of faith or attend church weekly (or semi-

My Mom the Minister used to refer to the Chreasters ...the families that showed up only at Christmas and Easter and out of convention as much as out of faith (and for the family photos and brunch afterwards).

We are sort of in that category now and I had my share of church as a kid.

Back