Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What religion is the right one for you?

Michchamp

A lot of people assume because they were born to parents of a particular creed, that is the religion they should follow. Or even more illogically, they believe that is the only option out there, or the objective truth. But this is not the case; you're free to pick and choose which one you like best, or if you want to take it a step further, you can believe in nothing at all!

Here's a summary of the five major world religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism): link. If for example, you love pulled pork sandwiches, or have a "thing" for capital punishment, this is helpful to see what your options are.

If you're looking to get off the beaten path, or maybe you just want to be "hip" and get into something a little more underground don't worry. There are less followed religions you can join, rounding out the top 10 are Sikhism (great if you hate shaving and getting a haircut), the Baha'i faith (not so great if you're into violence), Confucianism, Jainism (a little risky because people may think you're a nazi when you go around with your swastika necklace), and Shinto.

And if those still don't do it for you, you could go tribal. or maybe find some really obscure or old religion no longer practiced. Classicists might enjoy bringing back the polytheist religion of the Greeks & Romans. It had something for everyone.

If I had to pick, I guess I'd either be a Buddhist or a Confucian, but fortunately I don't have to pick because of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I absolutely had to choose a religion, I'd be Mormon. I hear they have some pretty sweet underwear that stops bullets and knives. Then, I'd join the military and take out Putin and Kim Jong Un. I'd march west and stop the violence in the middle east, then to Africa where I'd free all of the school girls and wipe out every single terrorist organization. After, I'd go back home and hide in my house and hope the Indians don't come to kill me. Luckily, my underwear will keep me safe. Soooooo, y'all are fucked.

Atheism over all, it requires very little time to practice it

Hellenism

Zeus is a supreme deity you can be proud of.

zeus24j2.jpg

My favorite story is the one about King Stork... where a bunch of frogs beg Zeus to send them a king, so he sends them a log. Then they say "No, a real king." so he sends them a stork, which starts eating all the frogs. They beg him to make it stop, but he just laughs at them. You don't fuck with Zeus, and you always know where he stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've studied "The Big Three" along with Buddhism and Native American teachings and I've taken something from each, of course the three main religions aren't really all that dissimilar in my opinion. I have a few Hindu friends and also once ate dinner at a Baha'i couple's house. I've dabbled a bit in Taoism too. If I had to lay claim to a faith I'd probably lean towards Buddhism, Taoism, or some of the Native American teachings I've read.

The Baha'i folks were very nice and peaceful, which is important to me. Very open to other people's ideas and ideals...definitely more of an inclusive group rather than exclusive, but I'll never forget, and this was probably ten or more years ago, when we were talking about their faith that every year you're supposed to send money to Baha'i headquarters and this "donation" was called hullabalooka or something bazooka. And that's where they lost me. Like I said, nice folks and got a recipe for what they called Wacky Cake. It was an egg and dairy free cake that was pretty damn good. That, however, was not a Baha'i thing.

I am dating a Rastafarian now....and man does she smoke a lot of herb...

You know...after a bit of cogitation, Quakers are pretty cool too. I spent about a years-worth of Sundays going to the Quaker meetinghouse a few years back. Sitting in complete silence for an hour each morning was pretty peaceful...

You're related to Tinsel?

Ha!!

I was thinking about a response to your OP about buddhism being an excellent religion for you (the auto-correct capitalized buddhism but buddhists don't capitalize buddhism) because it doesn't even acknowledge the existence of a supreme being, and there's a lot of other things that are fun about buddhism, too...

but...

I just watched the Kentucky Derby and I've been drinking mint julips...so I'm holding off on my response...

As I read elrod's responses about all the other fun religions a person could practice on this thread...well, those would sort of be the philosophies I would be involved with...along of course with Druidism...

And I know elrod must have been watching the Kentucky Derby...although I don't know if he would have drinking mint julips, maybe those microbrews he goes out and markets...

Ha!!

I was thinking about a response to your OP about buddhism being an excellent religion for you (the auto-correct capitalized buddhism but buddhists don't capitalize buddhism) because it doesn't even acknowledge the existence of a supreme being, and there's a lot of other things that are fun about buddhism, too...

but...

I just watched the Kentucky Derby and I've been drinking mint julips...so I'm holding off on my response...

As I read elrod's responses about all the other fun religions a person could practice on this thread...well, those would sort of be the philosophies I would be involved with...along of course with Druidism...

And I know elrod must have been watching the Kentucky Derby...although I don't know if he would have drinking mint julips, maybe those microbrews he goes out and markets...

I was in fact drinking microbrews, tinsel, but despite my beer snobbery I have had a julep or two in my life (and enjoyed them) and had I been watching the Derby with others and juleps were around I would have had a few. Watching the ponies solo it was much easier to just crack and pour.

You know...after a bit of cogitation, Quakers are pretty cool too. I spent about a years-worth of Sundays going to the Quaker meetinghouse a few years back. Sitting in complete silence for an hour each morning was pretty peaceful...

if I had to create a new religion... it would be a mix of buddhism, quakerism, and rastafarianism. or else I guess I would be a Quaker with some rastafarian & buddhist tendencies.

There was an empty storefont downtown for a while last year. While they were looking for a new tenant, someone put a small sign in the window that said "buddhist gift shop".

There was an empty storefont downtown for a while last year. While they were looking for a new tenant, someone put a small sign in the window that said "buddhist gift shop".

That's sort of like MichChamp's Stop Buying Shit You Don't Need t-shirt he's wearing in one of the pictures in his photo gallery.

Back