Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Interesting Supreme Court ruling

zyxt9

in favor of public prayer before government board

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/politics/scotus-new-york-public-prayer/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

My take, they made the wrong decision solely from the perspective that people in attendance are being made uncomfortable. If an individual wants to pray, that I fully support, but there really is no need for a governmental body to lead a prayer. That's for one's priest, rabbi, etc. during worship services, not for beginning governmental duties.

in favor of public prayer before government board

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/politics/scotus-new-york-public-prayer/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

My take, they made the wrong decision solely from the perspective that people in attendance are being made uncomfortable. If an individual wants to pray, that I fully support, but there really is no need for a governmental body to lead a prayer. That's for one's priest, rabbi, etc. during worship services, not for beginning governmental duties.

I say YAAAAYYY - stick it to those atheists. :*)

(Just kidding - I don't even know who the complainants are.)

two women, one atheist the other jewish. the atheist claim is that the prayers are unfounded and unwarranted in a governmental assembly, and I personally agree. the jewish complainant was arguing the prayers were also too Christian and not inclusive of other religions enough. I understand her view to a degree, but still do not understand the need for the prayer in a governmental assembly situation.

It's funny, I wonder if the same Justices would offer the same opinion if the case has been about an Islamic prayer, and not a Christian one.

Not likely. Another case of conservative Justices using personal beliefs over constitutional ones.

It's funny, I wonder if the same Justices would offer the same opinion if the case has been about an Islamic prayer, and not a Christian one.

Not likely. Another case of conservative Justices using personal beliefs over constitutional ones.

Was just thinking that. hope the Dearborn city council forces all in attendance to pray to Mecca next meeting.

I believe it was the same US SC justices who recently voted against similar prayers or religious activity. odd that they changed their tune regarding this one instance, IMO.

I believe it was the same US SC justices who recently voted against similar prayers or religious activity. odd that they changed their tune regarding this one instance, IMO.

what other opinion? this was 5-4... the majority was "the usual suspects" with Kennedy joining in. I can't imagine them ever voting against "similar prayers or religious activity" (unless of course the religion at issue was not Christian.)

from the record, it appears the town's efforts to include non-christian prayers were pretty pathetic, and done after people started complaining. like you said... why even have a prayer? you KNOW it's going to piss people off. if you're that concerned, pray outside before the meeting. or after its adjourned. why be a dick about it? Jesus wouldn't act like that.

Jesus wouldn't act like that.

According to the books, when Jesus was involved in any kind of public forum, people were coming to listen to what he had to say.

So it is kind of apples and oranges.

Last edited:
The only real thought the conservative Justices had on the subject:

hqdefault.jpg

So... in accordance with the Supreme Court ruling, a Florida guy is trolling his town IN PERSON by converting to Satanism, and demanding to open his local town hall meeting with a Satanic prayer.

?I just want equal billing. We allow various religious nutjobs to give a prayer. They pray to Jesus who is make-believe, god who is make-believe, why not Satan who is make-believe??​
Indeed. Why not?

also... the town is Deerfield Beach, which may sound familiar to some of us because it's Denard Robinson's hometown! Go Blue! Hail Satan!

“I just want equal billing. We allow various religious nutjobs to give a prayer. They pray to Jesus who is make-believe, god who is make-believe, why not Satan who is make-believe?”​

Do you believe Jesus is make-believe?

Last edited:
?I just want equal billing. We allow various religious nutjobs to give a prayer. They pray to Jesus who is make-believe, god who is make-believe, why not Satan who is make-believe??​

Do you believe Jesus is make-believe?

Well, yes, but allow me to qualify that. Do I believe he existed? yes, based on the fact that non-christian sources referred to his existence. Do I believe in the biblical accounts of his actions and divinity? no.

So... in accordance with the Supreme Court ruling, a Florida guy is trolling his town IN PERSON by converting to Satanism, and demanding to open his local town hall meeting with a Satanic prayer.

Indeed. Why not?

also... the town is Deerfield Beach, which may sound familiar to some of us because it's Denard Robinson's hometown! Go Blue! Hail Satan!

that's great stuff, hell, equal protection doesn't just apply to the mainstream. let's just make sure that the satanic prayer doesn't denigrate other religions and we'll be just fine

Back