Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Donovan left off US World Cup squad

Michchamp

link. I don't know about this... a lot of people are arguing its for the best, but I still think he can play, and his experience would be huge.

reading the comments, it looks like some people have also written us off and think it's best just to use this Cup to get some experience for younger guys. I think that's bullshit. You get younger guys experience during qualification... you play to win in the Cup.

It's a weird thing... Not sure Him and his coach get along... I would have put him on the team... Not smart.

hes more talented than most of the people on the roster....klinsman has a guaranteed contract and is moving forward with guys he can see helping in 2018. He pissed this world cup away....not like we were going to be a credible factor in the cup anyways. I can see both sides but it still was a pretty shitty thing to do. Hes like the only player us soccer fans that only come out during world cup time know lol.....im sure theres a lot of fans like that across the US. This move at the least is going to hurt the marketing programs that im sure were centered around Donovan. As far as results in the cup goes....this didn't effect anything....we had no chance when he was on the team...we will have no chance when hes not on the team.

link. I don't know about this... a lot of people are arguing its for the best, but I still think he can play, and his experience would be huge.

reading the comments, it looks like some people have also written us off and think it's best just to use this Cup to get some experience for younger guys. I think that's bullshit. You get younger guys experience during qualification... you play to win in the Cup.

20 years ago I said the US would win a World Cup in 20 years. Oops.

Klinsmann's son tweeted some crap about how he was laughing about Donovan being left off the roster.

in true dipshit fashion, he subsequently deleted his twitter account, but maybe that's some evidence of the animosity between them & looks like a personal decision, not a professional one.

I don't know about the team's dynamics, and how well Donovan was liked by his teammates, but it seems like a bully move on Klinsmann's part. The stink he made over Donovan's leave of absence seemed absurd to me. It's like he picked on that as a chance to assert his authority as a coach, but I think it was misguided. And to the extent Donovan was a leader & had the respect of his teammates, this would only hurt Klinsmann's rep with the team.

People seem to either be certain that Donovan was better than all our other forwards, or now worse than all our other forwards... and I have no idea. It seems wrong to me to think that he wouldn't be able to contribute as a sub even, in a situation where we need a goal. his experience and temperament could only help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read about this decision the more and more I am convinced it's going to be a disaster.

Hughes... I don't think you could write the US off like that before, and I still don't now, but if we don't advance, this is on klinsmann.

First, I'll say that I was very surprised to see that Donovan did not make the team when the news broke. Having said that, I was only expecting him to be a sub. I think he could've helped the team, but I think there were probably 2 reasons he didn't make the team.

1. I don't think Donovan's style of play fits with how Klinsmann wants to play in the World Cup. I think the following quote from an article explains this well.

"Had he made the roster, Donovan would most likely have played on the left side of midfield. He is not, however, a natural winger and his omission suggests that Klinsmann is determined to play with as much width as possible. A player such as Germany-based Fabian Johnson offers the ability to whip in crosses from that flank, as opposed to Donovan, who would seek to make darting runs inside.

Such an approach may reap rewards against Portugal, which has a sturdy and strong defensive line but is most susceptible to be attacked from the angles."

If you've ever watched Donovan play, it's evident that his way to attack the defense is by making "darting runs inside" like the article says, instead of crossing the ball in. Also as the article points out, that style of play likely won't work against Portugal, Ghana, and Germany. It sounds like Klinsmann wants to keep constant pressure on the opponent and play with pace. If that is true, Donovan doesn't fit that. Donovan himself has admitted that his body can't handle what it used to. Plus, we already have Graham Zusi and Alejandro Bedoya who can play on the right side, only leaving an opening on the left, which is not a strong suit for Donovan. This is probably why Klinsmann said he considered Donovan to be a forward, since he does not fit the midfield role in the formation Klinsmann will likely use for the World Cup. And as a forward, we have guys who are better fits there than Donovan (Clint Dempsey, Aron Johannsson, Chris Wondolowski).

2. I don't think Klinsmann got along well with Donovan. It likely had something to do with Donovan's sabbatical to Cambodia in early 2013. I would blame Klinsmann more for this relationship breakdown.

Ultimately, I don't think that Donovan fits the scheme that Klinsmann wants to employ for the World Cup and that's the main reason he was left off the team. It seems odd, but can you imagine how much worse it would be if Donovan made the team, but never came off the bench because he didn't fit in Klinsmann's fast-paced, high pressure style gameplan? Any US soccer fan would want to kill Klinsmann!

Last edited:
tumblr_n38lb39lNo1twkqono1_500.png

Here's an article that I think also does a good job explaining why Donovan was left off of the team.

I suppose it would have been easier for Jurgen Klinsmann to just throw Landon Donovan on his World Cup roster, deserved or not, even if he didn't believe him to be one of the 23-best options available. But then nothing about Klinsmann's tenure with the US Men's National Team has been about the easy way out. If anything, it has been a construct in breaking with the norm and routine that had made US Soccer stale; it's been about challenging new concepts in team-building and tactics and squad-selection and fitness and training.

So while my initial reaction to Donovan – who has been a pedestrian player in a relatively pedestrian league this season and a passenger on the national team for quite some time – being left off the 23-man roster was mild surprise, it was anything but shocking. If you've been paying attention to Klinsi's MO since taking over the team – his response to the turmoil and anonymous shots at him during a slow start to qualifying; how quickly he moved on from some of the old guard like highly-capped defender Carlos Bocanegra; his steadfast resolve to see how those around him react to change and being forced to deal with new sets of sometimes uncomfortable ideas – then you could see this coming.

"I think it's a surprise, but the writing was on the wall, right?" is how one longtime US international player summed it up. As Klinsmann explained to the US Soccer website: "I just think the other guys, right now, are a little bit ahead of him. I told him that and he understands it, but obviously he is very disappointed."

And if you happened to have spent any time in Germany eight years ago this month – as I did covering the 2006 World Cup for The Washington Post – and saw what a nationwide tempest Klinsmann set off by abruptly dropping decorated Oliver Kahn as his starting goalkeeper with Die Mannschaft in place of Jens Lehmann – then you know that the fallout from "Donovangate" will not faze the manager in the least. Klinsmann has already allowed his iconoclastic bent to court far greater controversies than this, and the reaction from both within the hardcore US Soccer community, as well as from a mainstream US sporting public still largely clueless about the makeup and inner workings of its national team will not affect him in the least.

This pales in comparison to anything he faced while coaching his country during a World Cup held in his country, and that German team quickly shut up its legion of naysayers and won the affections of their nation. I also can't help but wonder if Klinsmann feels his teams will thrive from a little friction as well, pulling a little closer from the controversy and rallying from within in the aftermath of something like this.

Klinsmann will follow his convictions, we know that much, and I applaud his willingness to challenge what's been standard operating procedure. As a passionate supporter of US Soccer, I'm behind the move. I get it. If you wanted another autocrat, who would allow the powers that be at US Soccer to play puppet master with him, then Klinsi was never that guy. If you were into sacred cows and automatic squad selections, then this isn't your manager. The fact that it took five years to eventually land Klinsmann, since US Soccer wasn't willing to play by his rules when first approaching him about the job after the 2006 World Cup, is every indication that he is very much in charge now.

After some awkward moments and uncomfortable situations, his hand has helped this team have great success both in qualifying and on the road against firm European competition in friendlies, and the results are fairly beyond reproach. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this decision – clearly the biggest call of his spell as manager here – and I'd urge you to, as well. (And who knows, ultimately this may be a moot point, as Klinsmann said Donovan is fully committed to joining the team should an injury create a need.)

Here's why:

This is a young man's game.

This tournament, in particular, played in South America at the end of another grueling season (in most of the world), with the US in a group of death that requires extensive travel even within Brazil itself, is not for the long of tooth. At 32, Donovan is past his prime, and playing the position he does – forward or attacking midfielder from the wing – is particularly incumbent upon explosiveness. A player whose pace and ability to make sashaying runs was so integral to his game, has lost a step or two, his delivery on crosses and set pieces for the national team have long been in decline and perhaps, as he himself has alluded to several times in the past and during his sabbaticals from soccer, maybe all of the games and all of the hard fouls and all of his years of service to club and country have caught up to him.

It happens. And his not being on this squad does nothing to take away from what he has meant to US Soccer, as both a youth international and since bursting onto to the global scene in the run up to the 2002 World Cup. But Donovan has done little to impact this MLS season and was a bit part in qualifying at best. Klinsmann's squad selection is prizing youth and pace above much else (call it fresh legs uber alles), and if you allow yourself not to consider the Donovan omission in a vacuum, but rather as part of a larger exercise in putting together a team, it is hardly incongruous with what the manager is doing, as the selection of youngsters John Brooks, Julian Green, Mix Diskerud, Aron Johannsson, Alejandro Bedoya, DeAndre Yedlin and Timmy Chandler speaks to. All of them were born in the 1990s – nearly 1/3 of the squad and this group encompasses what could be several offensive-minded super subs (the role Donovan was trying to cling to).

Fact is, very few field players on this roster are over the age of 30. Donovan's old pal DeMarcus Beasley is 32, but he plays a position of great need, and found a niche on this club in a way Donovan never could. Outside back remained a problem spot and Beasley ended up a regular starter in this new role, and, I imagine, will be a trusted reserve once Klinsi gets his starting XI set. Beasley provides the World Cup experience in the back, and could also fill in as a winger as well if need be. Versatility is imperative.

In the midfield, Brad Davis is the over-30 guy to get the call in a reserve role, and if you want to parse this roster for whom actually got Donovan's ticket to Brazil, it's Davis. Why? Well, for one, he has probably the most deft left-footed delivery in MLS (a role Eddie Lewis served well under Bruce Arena with this team). Davis, like Beasley, has a niche. He can fill that void and if we are looking for someone to provide service off the bench in need of offense, I'd take Davis over Donovan right now, each in current form. I'd rather have Davis over a deadball on a corner or set piece.

If you don't agree, and want to defer to Donovan's past, so be it. But Davis got his spot. And for those misguided enough to think Donovan had a starting role on this team, well, the development of Graham Zusi on the wing has shoved Donovan to the outskirts of this team, as much as Donovan's time off from the game did.

So let's look at the numbers. With his centralback pairing still a quandary and outside defenders hardly cemented, either, Klinsmann went with eight in the back. He needs numbers there to sort it out, and that's why Chandler and Yedlin are in, despite having not been around the team much. That, and their considerable upside as well. Three keepers have us up to 11 roster spots.

In the midfield, he needed a destroyer in reserve, especially with Jermaine Jones a considerable red-card threat, which goes to Kyle Beckerman, who also has shown he can link well in the passing game with Michael Bradley, the fulcrum of this team. Bedoya can run at people with the ball and stretch a defense, Zusi is a starter, Davis provides left-footed service. Some might point to Mix Diskerud as someone who should have been left behind, but it's worth noting the US lost just 1 of the 13 games he appeared in last year, he provides better defensive cover than Donovan at this stage and he also chipped in two goals. He could be a jack-of-all trades perhaps if needed be, centrally or wide in a pinch.

Which brings us to Green. Some will moan about Green's lack of international experience, saying they want Donovan over the teenager. But this is a move with the future in mind – newsflash, the US is not winning this World Cup - and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if in the backrooms, as the US was trying to get the coveted youngster to commit to our country and not Germany, it was whispered in his ear that if he chose the red, white and blue now he'd be one of these 23 players. After losing out on potential difference-making dual internationals like Giuseppe Rossi and Neven Subotic, I'd be the first to applaud US Soccer if in fact it did make a secret pact with Green to land him.

As for the forwards, Jozy Altidore's club season was a total washout, but he's scored goals in droves at times under Klinsmann and is a starting-caliber target forward. Johannsson has been downright magical at times and is coming off a superb club campaign. Clint Dempsey is the captain, assuming Landon's old role with the arm band, and Donovan's old teammate Chris Wondolowski is simply a poacher and he's scored for Klinsi recently and whether you want to consider Donovan a midfielder or forward with this team – he never cemented his status as either during this qualifying cycle – Wondo took what was likely one of the final spots on the plane, leaving Donovan, for the first time really this century, off of it.

I'm sure Donovan's experience will be missed, and, there has been no one I'd rather see taking a penalty kick for the US than him for a very long time (I'd prefer Bradley to Dempsey in Donovan's absence). Donovan may well be the greatest American player ever – though his foibles in his European club career give some pause – and I understand those who recall his big moments in big games, in 2002 and 2010, and feel like that alone should merit his inclusion now. Klinsmann is being more forward thinking than that, perhaps to his own detriment.

If you want to judge this move, assess how some of these young midfielders and strikers (oh, and the 33-year-old Davis) perform in minutes 75-through-90, and perhaps beyond, as they come off the bench with the entire world watching. That's where Donovan might have shown up. I, like Klinsi, believe the kids will be quite alright.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/...nn-made-right-move-leaving-landon-donovan-out

I'm of the opinion that anyone that is surprised by Donovan being left off the team, doesn't actually follow soccer until the World Cup is about to start.

Donovan has been average at best during his regular season and his appearances on the national team have been laughable (if he even plays).

You shouldn't make the national team on name recognition and your performances a half decade ago. If Klinsmann doesn't think Donovan is deserving of the spot, I applaud him for following his opinion and not the popular opinion of fans.

I'm of the opinion that anyone that is surprised by Donovan being left off the team, doesn't actually follow soccer until the World Cup is about to start.

that's partially true. I followed qualifying, but not the MLS, and according to CBSSPorts, Donovan was having a pretty below avg. year in the MLS. They also made the point that if it weren't for name recognition, someone with Donovan's recent history wouldn't be expected to make a national team, which is a fair point.

still, it sounds like he was well-liked, or at least respected by some key players on the USMNT, and could've served as a huge change of pace late in games to break open ties and stalemates.

it's not the end of the world... I guess it'll be less and less of a big deal the closer we get to kickoff.

Donovan has been average at best during his regular season and his appearances on the national team have been laughable (if he even plays).

You shouldn't make the national team on name recognition and your performances a half decade ago. If Klinsmann doesn't think Donovan is deserving of the spot, I applaud him for following his opinion and not the popular opinion of fans.

People who actually follow US soccer were expecting Donovan to be a sub. It was a surprise move for everyone that he didn't even make the team. While it's true that he only has 2 assists and no goals in 7 games for the Galaxy this year, he played very well in 2013 for the National Team. He tied for the lead in goals scored during the Gold Cup with 5 goals. Also, in the game against Mexico where we clinched a World Cup berth, he assisted on the first goal and scored the second goal. All of that happened in the last year, 2013!

I agree that a guy shouldn't make the national team on name recognition and performances a half decade ago. But Donovan has immensely helped the US just last year, like I listed above. Ultimately, I think that he was left off of the team because his style of play doesn't fit with how Klinsmann wants to play in Brazil, not because he's washed up as a player. Also, Klinsmann does not like Donovan, because he doesn't feel like he's committed enough. Those two things combined to leave Donovan off the team.

With all that said, I trust Klinsmann and I'm really looking forward to the World Cup. We definitely aren't favored to get out of our group, but I think we're capable. We're going to have to beat either Ghana or Portugal and get at least a tie against the other one because it's very unlikely that we get a result against Germany.

Last edited:
Ultimately, I think that he was left off of the team because his style of play doesn't fit with how Klinsmann wants to play in Brazil, not because he's washed up as a player. Also, Klinsmann does not like Donovan, because he doesn't feel like he's committed enough. Those two things combined to leave Donovan off the team.

I think that there is a lot of truth to that. If previous games are any indication, I think Klinsmann is determined to be something other than a team that just repeatedly forces the ball up the middle to its forwards over and over.

With the group it pulled, they'll definitely need some different, if not unexpected tactics if they want to make it out of the group stage.

Last edited:
I think that there is a lot of truth to that. If previous games are any indication, I think Klinsmann is determined to be something other than a team that just repeatedly forces the ball up the middle to its forwards over and over.

With the group it pulled, they'll definitely need some different, if not unexpected tactics if they want to make it out of the group stage.

I agree. From what I've been reading, it sounds like we might be playing more of a 4-4-2, trying to take advantage of Bradley's ability in the middle of the field and of the width of the field to cross the ball into the box more often. Recently against Mexico we played very well in the 1st half in a 4-4-2. The problem with a 4-4-2 is that it concentrates the midfield in the middle of the field, which often leaves our outside backs 1v1 with the opposition's wingers. Mexico started taking advantage of this in the 2nd half. And I think Portugal with Ronaldo would do even more damage if we played that way. So it'll be interesting to see what Klinnsman does. I'm looking forward to watching the 3 warm-up games during the next 2 weeks against Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria.

Theres a problem with that...cause if that's the case then several moves klinsmann did make were very contradictory to that. Is Altidore having a good year for his club?....not even close. Theres a lot of people that made the team that are having sub par years. Donovan has had some huge games for the national team this year.....not to mention probably the biggest moment in US soccer history in a world cup. Even if he was to be used as a sub....id rather see him being trotted out there if were down 1 and need some fresh legs than these young kids that have no experience and less skill. It was a slap in the face and his dumb kid proved that....

Theres a problem with that...cause if that's the case then several moves klinsmann did make were very contradictory to that. Is Altidore having a good year for his club?....not even close. Theres a lot of people that made the team that are having sub par years. Donovan has had some huge games for the national team this year.....not to mention probably the biggest moment in US soccer history in a world cup. Even if he was to be used as a sub....id rather see him being trotted out there if were down 1 and need some fresh legs than these young kids that have no experience and less skill. It was a slap in the face and his dumb kid proved that....

Yeah, when his son made that tweet it assured me that the relationship between Donovan and Klinsmann is messed up. If their relationship was even halfway decent I'm sure Klinsmann's son would love Donovan.

Theres a problem with that...cause if that's the case then several moves klinsmann did make were very contradictory to that. Is Altidore having a good year for his club?....not even close.

Altidore had 30+ appearances for a team in the premier league at the age of 24 for the first time in his career. Donovan just chills in MLS against lesser competition. Not really a fair comparison at all.

Donovan has had some huge games for the national team this year.....not to mention probably the biggest moment in US soccer history in a world cup.

He has 1 goal/0 assists in 2014 for the National Team. He hasn't had "huge games" since the 2013 Gold Cup. As for his biggest moment in US Soccer history, that doesn't buy you a lifetime roster spot.

Even if he was to be used as a sub....id rather see him being trotted out there if were down 1 and need some fresh legs than these young kids that have no experience and less skill. It was a slap in the face and his dumb kid proved that....

For what it's worth, I didn't say I'm glad Donovan isn't on the team. If it were my choice, I'd also want him as a substitute. What I said was, if you're surprised/shocked by this, you don't follow soccer very much if not at all.

Donovan has said on numerous occasions that it was hard to be 100% motivated nowadays and that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be on the national team for 2014 WC. I can see how a coach would be very hesitant to bring that kind of attitude on a squad of young players in a tournament the United States historically does poorly in.

Add that situation to the fact Donovan and Klinsmann don't mesh on several levels, plus his average performances in 2014, and the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:
L. Has brought me to the side of leaving him off the team. He knows way more about this stuff then I do.. If LD was only going to be a sub anyway what's the difference.. If he does not fit the coaches style and is not 100% fit why bring him down.. I shows the coach is looking to the future..

Now in the short term it is going to hurt marketing and such and it appears they did not like each other after what was posted by the coaches son. I would have put him on the final 23 but see now reasons why he was left off.. For what it is worth I doubt we win a game in our group but I am rooting for a cup finals verses Brazil!!!!!!

LD scores two goals last night and had a nice pass on another goal LOL..

Following up on the stupid tweet by Jurgen Klinsmann's son, this was tweeted by Mike Magee, the reigning MLS MVP.

HAHAHAHAHAHA DONOVAN HAHAHAHAHA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE HE BROKE THE MLS GOAL SCORING RECORD UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME ������ HAHA #LegenD

In case you didn't see the original tweet by Klinsmann's son about Donovan not making the US World Cup team, here it is:
HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA

Back