Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

USA 2 Azerbaijan 0 Final

biggunsbob

friendly in San Francisco.

0-0
65 minute mark .

Is it me.. I feel we should be way better then this county :/

Sorry for not responding til now (I've had a busy week), but I was a little disappointed in our play. I thought we did very well in possession for the most part, but we had a few defensive breakdowns in the back and we didn't do a great job in the final third of the field (scoring).

Brad Davis had some nice crosses and set pieces, validating his spot on the roster, since that's all he was brought on for. But even though I like Alejandro Bedoya, I think he fits better on the right side of our midfield, not the left side (which is where he started). He's a solid two-way player who does a good job getting back on defense, but I don't think he's brings as much offensively on the left side since he's right-footed and therefore has more trouble getting in crosses from that side.

I liked the combination of Jozy Altidore and Aron Johannsson. They seemed to play well together, which likely stems from them both playing for AZ Alkmaar two seasons ago. I'd be interested in seeing them get more playing time together. Also, I thought Altidore did a good job controlling the ball as we started counterattacks, but he really struggled to get any shots on goal.

Yup.. It took us way to long to score verses this smaller country... Your analysis is spot on...

Last edited:
The game today against Turkey was much more exciting to watch. It was an up-tempo game with both sides attacking and getting numerous scoring chances. Our offense looked good, but our defense was a bit shaky. Bradley played great, like normal. Also, I thought Altidore played very well. He did everything well except put the ball in the net (which unfortunately is his main job...). The goal between Bradley and Fabian Johnson was beautiful and Dempsey did a good job being in the right spot to take advantage of the Turkish defender's missed clearance later on.

Timmy Chandler made some bad mistakes at left back (I'd expect Damarcus Beasley to start there in the World Cup) and Julian Green looked pretty bad. Other than one good run, Green had trouble with his touch and connecting with his teammates. He still looks like a boy among men.

Overall, it was a well-played game, more like what we can expect to see in the World Cup. Going forward, our defense needs to communicate better, Klinsmann needs to decide who will start as our left mid, and Altidore needs to find a way to score.

Well that is good guess.. I just want us to make it out of the group and give usa soccer a boost again...

Well that is good guess.. I just want us to make it out of the group and give usa soccer a boost again...

If we do manage to make it out of the group, we wouldn't play some of the powerhouses like Brazil, Netherlands, Italy, etc. until the semis

Back