Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wisconsin christians ruin sausagefest

Michchamp

Link:
This year, controversy erupted when religion found its way into the meaty festival. When it was announced that evangelist Bob Lenz, an anti-abortion advocate and the founder of the Christian music festival Lifest, was scheduled to speak at the charity event, some in the Madison community were quick to express their disappointment. Brat Fest organizer Tim Metcalfe quickly rescinded his invitation for Lenz to speak at the event.​
They still had christian rock bands though... eeeyuck.

What is wrong with people? We now have to have spin-off brat festivals so we don't have to eat with people that we disagree with?

What is wrong with people? We now have to have spin-off brat festivals so we don't have to eat with people that we disagree with?

well, I'd argue that if the christians wanted a christian sausagefest, they could've scheduled their own somewhere else. why screw with an established sausagefest?

We actually stopped buying Johnsonville brats because of the Scott Walker thing. It's been easy to find a superior alternative in our area, with an abundance of Polish and German mom-and-pop meat markets in our corner of the Windy City.

well, I'd argue that if the christians wanted a christian sausagefest, they could've scheduled their own somewhere else. why screw with an established sausagefest?

We actually stopped buying Johnsonville brats because of the Scott Walker thing. It's been easy to find a superior alternative in our area, with an abundance of Polish and German mom-and-pop meat markets in our corner of the Windy City.

Christians DID create their own sausage fest. This is a family-run thing that grew out of a grocery store promotion. The government doesn't run everything (no matter how much you might wish it did.)

Christians DID create their own sausage fest. This is a family-run thing that grew out of a grocery store promotion. The government doesn't run everything (no matter how much you might wish it did.)

You're right, it's a private event. sounds like it was fun for everyone to enjoy until the evil of Koch Brothers/Scott Walker polarized things a bit, and now the swing to fundamentalist worship of the christian god drew another line in the sand.

the article says or at least implies it didn't feature any religious mumbo jumbo prior to this year. Not sure if that same guy had organized it in prior years.

It's the same family that started it, but you're right that it changed. 1st, people got upset when Johnsonville sponsored it, because Johnsonville contributed to Walker. This year the religion aspect was added. But this link says it's an addition. There's an additional "Christian stage" for this stuff.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_640e88aa-858e-57e6-96f4-6e88679fc7f7.html

?My gut tells me there might be a little bit of a social media flare-up over this,? Judge said. ?But as long as religion doesn?t become an overwhelming presence at Brat Fest, I don?t think it will be a negative for the brand.

For those wanting the old secular experience, fear not. Bret Michaels, who rose to fame as the lead singer of the metal band Poison, will be among singers hitting the Ho-Chunk Grand Stage.

Johnsonville brats/sausages are so overrated/overpriced. I have found local supermarket brats are fresher, and are available in more varieties, though I really only go for the beer/regular ones. But some of the markets here make them with garlic, pesto, cheese, jalapenos, and lots of other stuff, and are generally the same price or even less then the frozen Johnsonville stuff.

Johnsonville brats/sausages are so overrated/overpriced. I have found local supermarket brats are fresher, and are available in more varieties, though I really only go for the beer/regular ones. But some of the markets here make them with garlic, pesto, cheese, jalapenos, and lots of other stuff, and are generally the same price or even less then the frozen Johnsonville stuff.

This is so true that it makes me really sad that noone around here does brats like that, I've had to settle for Johnsonville. Stupid New England...

They still had christian rock bands though... eeeyuck.

Huh? You never liked Stryper, Creed, or P.O.D?!? haha...
ABq8L3MCsZDKQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
grin.gif

I was always kinda partial to the '69 song "Spirit In The Sky" for its trippy guitar riffs, although it was written and performed by a Jew, Norman Greenbaum.

Last edited:
I'd like to add to this discussion that the thread title is pretty good. Best thread title of the religion board so far.

They don't have good kielbasa there?

Haven't tried them here, the sausages are just different enough that I don't generally count kielbasa as a substitute for brats.

Also, I have no grill, so I haven't had much cause to get brats since we moved.

I'd like to add to this discussion that the thread title is pretty good. Best thread title of the religion board so far.

Thanks. I liked these better though:

"Which Religion is Right for You?"

"The Pros and Cons of Joining a Religion"

and

"Religion sucks"

Haven't tried them here, the sausages are just different enough that I don't generally count kielbasa as a substitute for brats.

Also, I have no grill, so I haven't had much cause to get brats since we moved.

gotcha. I don't get that into the details so for me a brat is any meat in a tube that's bigger than a hotdog and with more spice, or a specific flavor. but I understand there are differences out there that matter more to the hard-cores and diehards, and Packer fans that are actually from Wisconsin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back