Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

5 of the worst coaching decsions

biggunsbob

The worst coaching decisions
1. 1986: John McNamara leaves Stapleton on the bench
All postseason, the Red Sox skipper had replaced Bill Buckner at first base late in the game with Dave Stapleton. Except in Game 6 of the World Series. You know what happened.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. 1998: No double-team on Jordan
The Utah Jazz lead the Chicago Bulls by one point in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Hmm, who will take the shot? Jerry Sloan keeps only Bryon Russell on Michael Jordan, who hits the final shot of his career to win the title.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. 1978: Miracle of the Meadowlands
Giants lead the Eagles 17-12 with 20 seconds left. Inexplicably, coach John McVay has QB Joe Pisarcik hand the ball to Larry Csonka. The play is botched and Herman Edwards scoops the ball up and runs it in for the winning TD. The win gives the Eagles a wild-card spot and their first winning season since 1966.
4. 1992: Rick Pitino doesn't guard the inbounds play
On the final play of the regional finals against Duke, Kentucky coach Rick Pitino elects to not guard Grant Hill on the inbounds pass. Hill throws an unobstructed pass to Christian Laettner, who hits the game-winning shot to beat Kentucky 104-103 in OT.
5. 1999: Dan Reeves starts Eugene Robinson
On the eve of Super Bowl XXXIII, Falcons starting safety Eugene Robinson spent a sleepless night in jail after he was picked up for soliciting an undercover prostitute. Reeves starts him anyway and Robinson gets burned several times as the Broncos win 34-19.

Only disagree with #5 because regardless of who started, the Broncos were set to destroy the Falcons (remember should have been the Vikings). The best part was that Eugene Robinson had been on the Packers the year before and had been running his mouth both weeks leading up to the then UPSET win by the Donkeys over Fah-vre and the cocky Pack.

Good topic: Here are some other ones I can recall.

Dick Williams letting Gossage pitch to Gibson.
Ross going for two when down by four.
Morningweg "taking the wind" in overtime.
Just about any decision Leyland made in the ALCS (I jest, except for his jimmy-jacking of his pitching staff in Game 2)

Last edited:
How about when Bill Belicheck went for it on a 4th and 2 from like their own 35 late in the game while they were winning 34-28 against the Colts. They came up short and Peyton Manning and Company won the game on the next drive.

The fourth down call was stupid by Bill ...I remember thinking WTF...Then laughing...

That would be Belichick's incredible ego getting in the way of clear thinking.

This past year's AFC title game was a joy to attend. He got outcoached and his team got its ass handed to them by a "finess team."

And then we took their best DB in the off-season; the same guy Welker laid out.

I would also add Grady Little leaving in Pedro Martinez in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, I was a huge Red Sox bandwagon fan for a few years because the Tigers were horrendous and I was just a stupid kid. Pedro had like 2 guys on with a 2 run lead and was at about 120 pitches, bullpen was fresh and ready but Little left Pedro in, gave up the tying run next AB, Yanks win on the Boone walk off in extras. Last time I have ever (and will ever) cried after a loss.

The worst coaching decisions
1. 1986: John McNamara leaves Stapleton on the bench
All postseason, the Red Sox skipper had replaced Bill Buckner at first base late in the game with Dave Stapleton. Except in Game 6 of the World Series. You know what happened.
2. 1998: No double-team on Jordan
The Utah Jazz lead the Chicago Bulls by one point in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Hmm, who will take the shot? Jerry Sloan keeps only Bryon Russell on Michael Jordan, who hits the final shot of his career to win the title.
3. 1978: Miracle of the Meadowlands
Giants lead the Eagles 17-12 with 20 seconds left. Inexplicably, coach John McVay has QB Joe Pisarcik hand the ball to Larry Csonka. The play is botched and Herman Edwards scoops the ball up and runs it in for the winning TD. The win gives the Eagles a wild-card spot and their first winning season since 1966.
4. 1992: Rick Pitino doesn't guard the inbounds play
On the final play of the regional finals against Duke, Kentucky coach Rick Pitino elects to not guard Grant Hill on the inbounds pass. Hill throws an unobstructed pass to Christian Laettner, who hits the game-winning shot to beat Kentucky 104-103 in OT.
5. 1999: Dan Reeves starts Eugene Robinson
On the eve of Super Bowl XXXIII, Falcons starting safety Eugene Robinson spent a sleepless night in jail after he was picked up for soliciting an undercover prostitute. Reeves starts him anyway and Robinson gets burned several times as the Broncos win 34-19.

I have to disagree with #2. The push off should have been called an offensive foul. Most people think of that play and say how great it was for him to hit the game winner on his last shot of his NBA career. To me it just showed the kind of shit he got away with because he was MJ.

Rich Rodriguez decides to leave Morgantown, where he was revered, to take the head coaching job at the University of Michigan.

Bill Frieder decides to announce he's leaving Michigan to take the head coaching job at the University of Michigan just before the NCAA tournament.

Hutch holds a runner on third instead of sending the runner home and the next batter strands the runner, pretty much every final game of the Softball season.

I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more.

Oh...Tressel covers up tat gate...although I was glad about that one...

Woody Hayes slugs that one Clemson dude in the throat, ending his coaching career...I actually was a little sorry about that...

Last edited:
Back