Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why is this not in the news?

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
You would think CNN would be all over this. Seems like it was made for them.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...-deaths-of-800-children-found-in-septic-tank/

Neglect and abuse: The Irish government is launching a criminal investigation into the discovery of 800 dead children found in the septic tank at a home for unwed mothers run by nuns in western Ireland.

Reports indicate the children were malnourished and neglected by the nuns, which is suspected of causing many of the premature and tragic deaths. Hundreds of infants and toddlers in a home for ?fallen women? and their ?illegitimate? children are believed to have been buried in a septic tank next to the former home for single mothers and their children.

The home was run by Bon Secours nuns in Tuam between 1925 and 1961.

Ireland?s Roman Catholic Church has instructed the order of nuns who ran the home that it must co-operate with any inquiry into the investigation, according to the Reuters news agency.

Speaking in the Irish Parliament on Wednesday, the minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Charlie Flanagan, called the discovery of what is described as an unmarked grave as ?deeply disturbing? and a shocking reminder of a darker past in Ireland when our children were not cherished as they should have been.

In the past, unmarried mothers and their children were incarcerated in state-funded, church-run institutions called mother and baby homes or Magdalene asylums, where the women worked to ?atone for their sins,? while their children were taken from them.

Perhaps even more disturbing, this is probably not an isolated case. The home in Tuam was only one of a dozen mother and baby homes in Ireland in the years after the Second World War, all of which treated their inmates in a similar fashion.

It is hard to grasp the magnitude of the physical and psychological abuse the women and their children suffered at the hands of nuns determined to punish both mother and child for being party to a pregnancy not sanctioned by the church.

This sad episode is yet another reminder of the Catholic Church?s failure to protect children. The moral corruption of the Catholic Church is by now well documented. The Catholic brand is forever tarnished, reduced to a symbol of moral corruption and decay, a symbol of inhumanity, a symbol of broken and dead children.

I heard it on NPR radio the other day but saw it nowhere else

Excuse me, I should have clarified. TV news. If 800 dead children were dug up in Joe Schmo's backyard in Florida, it'd be non stop coverage. It'd make that missing plane's coverage look juvenile. But 800 bodies in a catholic-run home? Nahhh, put it on the web only. Nothing to see here.

Excuse me, I should have clarified. TV news. If 800 dead children were dug up in Joe Schmo's backyard in Florida, it'd be non stop coverage. It'd make that missing plane's coverage look juvenile. But 800 bodies in a catholic-run home? Nahhh, put it on the web only. Nothing to see here.

Imagine the outrage from pro-lifers, if they instead had found 800 aborted fetuses in the septic system of an illegal abortion clinic in Ireland. But hey, these mothers obviously were sinners who refused to accept "personal responsibility" for their slutty behavior and deserved to be punished, along with their offspring.

Imagine the outrage from pro-lifers, if they instead had found 800 aborted fetuses in the septic system of an illegal abortion clinic in Ireland. But hey, these mothers obviously were sinners who refused to accept "personal responsibility" for their slutty behavior and deserved to be punished, along with their offspring.

Every abortion clinic in this country would be burned to the ground.

I gotcha. And yeah, I have to agree. The media would have lost it's mind.

the pro lifers will fight tooth and nail to make the unwed mother have that unwanted baby that she can't afford or support. once it's born, they'll argue against AFDC, SNAP, ETC.

Hey, you're on your own now slut

I saw it on Breitbart and heard it on NPR last week. It's probably not getting coverage for a couple of reasons. First, because it's at least 54 years old and most of the people involved are either dead or will be soon. Second, while this is no doubt beyond horrible, the Church has been through the ringer for its treatment of women in this situation and their offspring during that era - unless it's revealed that this was institutionally sanctioned infanticide, other than the extreme and horrifying nature of the crime, it's not a major new revelation - that of course, does not make it any less tragic. Third, it happened in Ireland - if it happened in the US 50 years ago, it would without a doubt get infinitely more coverage than Kermit Gosnell did.

I have to say I find the spin here disturbing - seems as if child abuse is being used as justification for abortion.

Last edited:

I have to say I find the spin here disturbing - seems as if child abuse is being used as justification for abortion.

well, abortion was not LEGAL, and therefore unavailable to poor women in Ireland during this time period. (as has now been pointed out ad nauseum, the legal status of course means that only the wealthy had access to them.)

it comes down to what's a better option for a kid: being aborted in utero, or suffering a few miserable years of hunger, malnourishment, sickness, and likely physical and even sexual abuse, knowing nothing but pain and darkness, before dying and having your carcass crammed into a septic tank?

which would you choose???

Sure neither option is pleasant and in a perfect world people wouldn't have to face it, but we can at least take small steps to reduce suffering of poor orphaned children and preserve a small shred dignity for poor, unwed women in a catholic country.

No, it doesn't come down to that - abortion is never the only other option particularly for an otherwise healthy young woman. The idea that anyone would say neglect or even abuse is justification for abortion or that abortion somehow dignifies poor unwed mothers is just sick.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't come down to that - abortion is never the only other option. ...

please elaborate.

poor, unwed mothers should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, right?

work in the fields, or in the factory mills until the baby drops out, pick it up, tie it to their back, and keep working.

or they can drop the baby off for some free daycare at one of those catholic orphanages that are known to be so great at that... er... maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not news because everybody saw Philomena.

I never saw it. Should I? Would it make me "pro life" i.e. "pro... forcing others to abide by my own personal religious moral code, while claiming to love 'freedom'?" Then maybe I could go to heaven, like Spartanmack will.

I never saw it. Should I? Would it make me "pro life" i.e. "pro... forcing others to abide by my own personal religious moral code, while claiming to love 'freedom'?" Then maybe I could go to heaven, like Spartanmack will.

It wouldn't change anything. Just the story is somewhat related to the subject of the OP. I think it is based on a true story.

please elaborate.

poor, unwed mothers should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, right?

work in the fields, or in the factory mills until the baby drops out, pick it up, tie it to their back, and keep working.

or they can drop the baby off for some free daycare at one of those catholic orphanages that are known to be so great at that... er... maybe not.

Are you really so ignorant that you think we can't do better and thus we should summarily execute innocent unborn human beings based on the possibility that they might be abused or because they could grow up with less than what someone else has? These atrocities are arguments for things like adoption and social reform, not murder.

Last edited:

great acting, great plotline, I think you'd like it. I made a thread about it in the movies section a few months back

Are you really so ignorant that you think we can't do better and thus we should summarily execute innocent unborn human beings based on the possibility that they might be abused or because they could grow up with less than what someone else has? These atrocities are arguments for things like adoption and social reform, not murder.

I'm still heartbroken over the millions of sperm that die a horrible death every time someone has an ejaculation. oh the horror

Back