Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

bad movies are good?

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
For years, I've noticed something different about myself when it comes to watching movies. My friends and critics will absolutely destroy a film, tell me how horrible it was, how bored they were, and what a waste of time and money the experience was. I just don't see it.

Sure, there are movie genres that I don't like because they just don't interest me. There are movies with acting so horrible that I'll stop the movie before anything happens, but many times I don't really care. Maybe this is why I think Mark Wahlberg is a good actor and that Adam Sandler movies like, "Just go with it" are hilarious.

I'd say about 80-90% of movies that are generally pushed as bad movies are something that I'd like. Just a few examples. I watched the 2012 version of "Red Dawn" which has horrible ratings and reviews and I love it. Waterworld - good movie. I can't watch it too often because there are parts that are a bit boring and stupid, but once a year or two and I enjoy it. Star Wars Ep 1. Great movie. Jar Jar may be annoying, but that doesn't kill the rest of it for me. Spiderman 3. I really really enjoyed it. I don't see what the disappointment was. The Truman SHow. Excellent. Shooter...one of my favorites.

Is it just me that is this easy to win over when it comes to movies? And what movies do you guys like that most people hate?

I'd be the worst film critic on the planet. I've watched a lot of movies in 30 years and I probably could count on two hands the number of movies I thought were really bad.

Sure there are movies that weren't great but the vast, vast majority I enjoyed to some degree.

I love Shooter. But why did I watch, That's my Boy, twice? That's not my type of movie but Sandler and Vanila Ice crack me up in that movie.

I'm picky as hell but now and again I'll watch that dumbass movie that no one should ever watch.

Nearly every film on that list you mentioned was terrible IMHO Monster. I don't recall if I ever saw Spiderman 3.

Red Dawn; the storyline drags it down. A military move strong enough to cripple the US Armed Forces, yet a handful of untrained 20-somethings undermine the whole thing. Nope.

Episode I (star wars) The add ins that sucked were things like Annikin built C3PO, too much screen time devoted to the pod racing, the Gungans were a race of retards, not just Jar Jar. IMO they set the age group focus for it too low.

Waterworld: it was really bad only in terms of it's hype and cost. Other than that it was just a lackluster cheesy at times film. Seriously, riding around in the Exxon Valdez...smoking cigarettes names Black Death.

Truman show was okay, but overhyped.

Shooter would have been a good movie if I never read 'Point of Impact' by Stephen Hunter. Sorry Marky Mark, you just aint no Bob Lee Swagger, not even close. In the same fashion, I had a hard time giving the movie Jack Reacher a fair shake with Tom Cruise playing a guy who is supposed to be 6'6" 250lbs.

My problem is I guess I don't just lose myself in the movie like I should, which was why I disliked X-Men Days of Future Past, no spoilers, but the plot has more holes then swiss cheese.

As long as you get some entertainment value out it..that's my motto. That don't have to be perfect. I haven't been to a theater in years so 2 hours watching a movie on Netflix or Encore instead of another rerun of an old TV show it's worth it.

I'd be the worst film critic on the planet. I've watched a lot of movies in 30 years and I probably could count on two hands the number of movies I thought were really bad.

Sure there are movies that weren't great but the vast, vast majority I enjoyed to some degree.

See, that's exactly how I am. And with TV shows, too. I'll get hooked on shows and then they're cancelled because they had horrible ratings and reviews from just about everyone.

The Last Samurai is probably in the top two or three movies that I've ever seen (up there with Godfather I/II and Gladiator) and I don't know anyone who thought it was more than a decent movie.

Nearly every film on that list you mentioned was terrible IMHO Monster. I don't recall if I ever saw Spiderman 3.

Red Dawn; the storyline drags it down. A military move strong enough to cripple the US Armed Forces, yet a handful of untrained 20-somethings undermine the whole thing. Nope.

Episode I (star wars) The add ins that sucked were things like Annikin built C3PO, too much screen time devoted to the pod racing, the Gungans were a race of retards, not just Jar Jar. IMO they set the age group focus for it too low.

Waterworld: it was really bad only in terms of it's hype and cost. Other than that it was just a lackluster cheesy at times film. Seriously, riding around in the Exxon Valdez...smoking cigarettes names Black Death.

Truman show was okay, but overhyped.

Shooter would have been a good movie if I never read 'Point of Impact' by Stephen Hunter. Sorry Marky Mark, you just aint no Bob Lee Swagger, not even close. In the same fashion, I had a hard time giving the movie Jack Reacher a fair shake with Tom Cruise playing a guy who is supposed to be 6'6" 250lbs.

My problem is I guess I don't just lose myself in the movie like I should, which was why I disliked X-Men Days of Future Past, no spoilers, but the plot has more holes then swiss cheese.

See, everything you say is everything I've heard about those movies. I just don't care for some reason. Weird. But yet...sharknado is the stupidest movie I have ever seen and everyone loves it?

I love bad action movies. I literally own all JCVD movies. Love every Arnold movie, my favorite movie franchise is Fast and the Furious.

As long as you get some entertainment value out it..that's my motto. That don't have to be perfect. I haven't been to a theater in years so 2 hours watching a movie on Netflix or Encore instead of another rerun of an old TV show it's worth it.

The only time I go to the theater is if there's a movie that I absolutely can not wait 5 or 6 months for to come out on Blu-Ray. And I hate the pirated cam versions.

See, everything you say is everything I've heard about those movies. I just don't care for some reason. Weird. But yet...sharknado is the stupidest movie I have ever seen and everyone loves it?

See, I wouldn't ever even watch a movie called 'Sharknado'. Same thing with the Saw movies, never seen a single one, never will. When I hear a shitload of people going off about a movie with 6 sequels I know it's garbage I'll want to avoid. If I could only go back and erase the memory of all the Rocky movies after II.

See, I wouldn't ever even watch a movie called 'Sharknado'. Same thing with the Saw movies, never seen a single one, never will. When I hear a shitload of people going off about a movie with 6 sequels I know it's garbage I'll want to avoid. If I could only go back and erase the memory of all the Rocky movies after II.

The first Saw was really really good if you like that genre. The rest are pretty good but really are nothing compared to the first. Then again, I've only seen 2 and 3.

My ultimate good/bad movie is Roadhouse. Original Red Dawn is up there. I see a pattern. As far as JCVD movies go Kickboxer hands down. But Hard Target has the best movie line ever: "Tak' your pig-stick, an' your boyfrien' and go find a bus-to-catch?"

I used to live next door to the director, Anthony C. Ferrante. He used my dead dog Dutchess (she wasn't dead at the time) in a movie called Boo that really put him on the map in his genre - that genre being, of course, really awful movies that for whatever garner a cult following and make money - which is why he ended up getting a million bucks to direct Sharknado.

Last edited:
My ultimate good/bad movie is Roadhouse. Original Red Dawn is up there. I see a pattern. As far as JCVD movies go Kickboxer hands down. But Hard Target has the best movie line ever: "Tak' your pig-stick, an' your boyfrien' and go find a bus-to-catch?"

yeah, there's probably a way to define when it's good/bad, or just crap. Road House has that special something.

Originality goes a long way; maybe that's what it comes down to. at least you can give a stupid movie like Red Dawn or Road House credit for that.

If anyone could make the movie/act in the part (i.e. does it star Will Smith, Adam Sandler, etc.?) or the plot/script is formulaic, it loses points with me. Same with movies that push a political agenda that sucks (Top Gun). Or that try to replace an obvious lack of quality in the plot, acting, and/or writing, with blood and gore or shock value... that's like 99% of the horror movies that have come out post 1980.

and don't get me started on the Saw franchise... people - a lot of people - are entertained by torture? They enjoy sitting and watching other humans suffer physical and mental pain and anguish on a huge screen? WTF??? And our society gives things like that an "R" rating, but if a movie depicts sexual relations between two consenting adults with a little too much reality it's NC-17? We are a sick and twisted people.

sorry... I got a little carried away.

Ed Wood was a movie that was critically panned that I thought was actually pretty good.

It was a fiction about this fictitious movie producer director; who made a fictitious movie Plan 9 From Outer Space was phony movie's title, that the world would come to view as the worst movie of all time.

I don't know who wrote the original screenplay, but I thought it was a pretty good concept.

I remember when an actor said "if i wait for that perfect movie I might never act again." Same goes for watching movies..If you keep on waiting for that really good movie you might not watch anything for a long time. Especially these days..

I remember when an actor said "if i wait for that perfect movie I might never act again." Same goes for watching movies..If you keep on waiting for that really good movie you might not watch anything for a long time. Especially these days..

LOL are you strapped to your couch with no access to the remote control?

Get netflix... take back your life. For $8/month you can watch whatever movies you want, good or bad.

Back