Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Antiques Roadshow

Michchamp

Anybody else watch this? I just started to the last year. I fucking love it. it's usually on around 6-9PM on PBS, before the Daily Show comes on, and there's really nothing else on the idiot box I can stand watching until then.

today is a rerun of the Atlanta episode... they just showed these two dumb old southerners who had an antique Yankee Connecticut bureau refinished so it would match their other furniture. The appraiser was like "okay, well, I hate to tell you this, but if you would've left the original finish on, it would be worth about $230,000. But now it's only worth about $30,000." They were like "Oh. Well, that's still pretty good..."

fucking idiots. I'm so glad I don't live in the south.

I used to watch some back years ago when that Lara chick was host, but just like anything, you can only see it so many times before it becomes white noise, and it's been on a long time.

All shit like this is just fake..

what do you mean? I have no idea whether the appraisals are accurate, but according to the show, those are real people with real antiques, not actors.

what do you mean? I have no idea whether the appraisals are accurate, but according to the show, those are real people with real antiques, not actors.

The appraisals are generally for insurance values, or sometimes retail. I believe they're pretty accurate. Now that does not mean anyone will get that amount when they sell said antiques, because almost every buyer will always want a resale/profit buffer.

Wish that I would have taken a greater interest in hunting for antique "buried treasures" like my mother had when I was a child/teen in the 60s-early 70s, and before most people knew the true value of many of the items that they were selling in their garage, basement and yard sales.

But my younger brother and I quickly became bored while sitting in our family station wagon, when my mother drove around metro-Detroit by perusing maps and the newspaper classified ad section. Hauling heavy, dusty, cobweb-covered antique furniture out of cluttered, dank. and cramped basements and then up often narrow and creaky stairs w/o damaging the furniture or the walls was a sweaty, exhausting and awkward chore.

But during her heydays of collecting, Antiques Roadshow most likely could have devoted nearly a season's worth of episodes to the stuff my mom had, especially her impressively massive clock and china-doll collections.

Last edited:
Wish that I would have taken a greater interest in hunting for antique "buried treasures" like my mother had when I was a child/teen in the 60s-early 70s, and before most people knew the true value of many of the items that they were selling in their garage, basement and yard sales.

But my younger brother and I quickly became bored while sitting in our family station wagon, when my mother drove around metro-Detroit by perusing maps and the newspaper classified ad section. Hauling heavy, dusty, cobweb-covered antique furniture out of cluttered, dank. and cramped basements and then up often narrow and creaky stairs w/o damaging the furniture or the walls was a sweaty, exhausting and awkward chore.

But during her heydays of collecting, Antiques Roadshow most likely could have devoted nearly a season's worth of episodes to the stuff my mom had, especially her impressively massive clock and china-doll collections.

yeah... a large number of items seem to come from estate/garage sales. I'm always surprised by how many things look like cheap sculpture turn out to be done by some famous artist, and sell for a few thousand or more. And even if that's not a home run, it's a nice return on an investment of a couple bucks. It seems like most of the notable pieces have the artist marks somewhere on the bottom or in a nondescript place... I guess that would be something to look for. I would have no idea what furniture is worth though.

we watched one of the episodes on Detroit. I remember two chairs carved exclusively for some auto-baron's mansion, were worth a lot. The current owners of the house had them, and said a lot of old furniture was included in the purchase price. there were also native american artifacts and such that weren't worth a lot, but considering the owner found them on his property and paid nothing, it was something.

yeah... a large number of items seem to come from estate/garage sales. I'm always surprised by how many things look like cheap sculpture turn out to be done by some famous artist, and sell for a few thousand or more. And even if that's not a home run, it's a nice return on an investment of a couple bucks. It seems like most of the notable pieces have the artist marks somewhere on the bottom or in a nondescript place... I guess that would be something to look for. I would have no idea what furniture is worth though.

My mother had a subscription to "Kovels Magazine" iwhich helped her become a pretty shrewd antiques collector. The clock chiming/alarming intro to the song "Time" on Pink Floyd's epic DSOTM album had nothing when compared to the noise in our home every hour on the hour..especially @ noon and midnight....lol.

Of course she just had to use the upstairs bedroom next to mine to store her huge doll collection, and soon afterwards, I watched an episode of the late Rod Serling's "Night Gallery" horror TV show, where a doll very similar to those in her collection became an animated vicious Chucky-like doll with enormous sharp teeth...yikes!!

night_gallery_doll.jpg

Last edited:
that's creepy.

for some reason that reminds me of a family in my neighborhood growing up that were big into antiques, esp. grandfather clocks. The dad restored them. their house was always spotless, and like a museum with lots of old things on the walls, and had at least one old grandfather clock in every room.

I was friends with their youngest son, and I remember being instructed not to walk across their yard and leave footprints in the snow, or leave my bike in the driveway (had to walk it around the back), so as not to disturb the pristine image of their house, I guess...

Back