Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Suarez banned 9 games 4 months

No biting. that's a lesson we've already taught our 9-month-old. He doesn't bite any more, though he still slaps and grabs.

Well, that upsets me on two levels.

1. As a Liverpool fan, I'm pissed that FIFA extended this to his club season where they should really not have any jurisdiction. Would be like the international ice hockey federation trying to ban a player for his nhl season.

2. As a general fan of great play it will be sad to see him not playing anymore at the world cup. Fantastic player. Really I'm realizing I'm very much pro-if you are awesome you should get away with whatever you want. Chiellini is a dick anyway.

Tigers, the dude has bit someone three times. Biting another human being is ridiculous enough in regular day-to-day life. For it to happen on a soccer pitch from the same guy three times over is asinine. I'm surprised at how light the penalty was.

Tigers, the dude has bit someone three times. Biting another human being is ridiculous enough in regular day-to-day life. For it to happen on a soccer pitch from the same guy three times over is asinine. I'm surprised at how light the penalty was.

1. FIFA shouldn't have the power to extend bans to club season, where they have absolutely no power. They are the 'official governing body of the sport' which basically means 'hey leagues, you should just listen to me even though I can't really make you do anything'.

2. Yes he bit someone. Did any of those bites injure anyone in any way or even break the skin? No. There are more dangerous acts that have happened in this very world cup that are not dealt with so severely. Things that are far worse than biting include leg breaking tackles, elbows/punches to the head, really just about any violent conduct that can result in an actual injury. Heck even Chiellini agreed the punishment was insanely harsh.

Bottom line, I have a real problem with this faux outrage over 'biting' because it is treated as if he did break someone's leg intentionally really only because its weird and not because it is particularly dangerous.

1. FIFA shouldn't have the power to extend bans to club season, where they have absolutely no power. They are the 'official governing body of the sport' which basically means 'hey leagues, you should just listen to me even though I can't really make you do anything'.

2. Yes he bit someone. Did any of those bites injure anyone in any way or even break the skin? No. There are more dangerous acts that have happened in this very world cup that are not dealt with so severely. Things that are far worse than biting include leg breaking tackles, elbows/punches to the head, really just about any violent conduct that can result in an actual injury. Heck even Chiellini agreed the punishment was insanely harsh.

Bottom line, I have a real problem with this faux outrage over 'biting' because it is treated as if he did break someone's leg intentionally really only because its weird and not because it is particularly dangerous.

The reason it was dealt with so harshly is because biting someone is not a normal thing to do in soccer and he's done it 3 times now! Injury-inducing slide tackles and elbows to the head are a common occurrence in soccer because they can occur through normal actions during a game. Slide tackling is part of the game and when you go up for a header, it's difficult to keep your arms down and still be aggressive.

Bottom line, if a grown man is biting people, he needs to get psychological help.

The reason it was dealt with so harshly is because biting someone is not a normal thing to do in soccer and he's done it 3 times now! Injury-inducing slide tackles and elbows to the head are a common occurrence in soccer because they can occur through normal actions during a game. Slide tackling is part of the game and when you go up for a header, it's difficult to keep your arms down and still be aggressive.

Bottom line, if a grown man is biting people, he needs to get psychological help.

I hate that 'normal part of the game' argument for elbows and slide tackles.

Sometimes you inadvertently catch someone in the face trying to protect yourself. That's one thing. That is NOT an elbow to the head. Daniele De Rossi for example, in 2006, threw an elbow. That is not something that just happens, there was every bit as much intent as the bit.

Slide tackles same thing. You can be reckless to the point where you put people at risk for injury and as someone who has played at a reasonably high level, I'll tell you that myself and every other player does not regard those tackles as 'part of the game'. You get too reckless where you endanger someone it is just as bad as doing something intentionally in the mind of all the players.

The 'biting' overreaction almost invariably comes from non player/media types while many of the players tend to side with the overreaction side. That happens for the same reasons I've just given, because there are a ton of things that either warrant a lot more punishment, or biting requires a lot less punishment. It is not proportional.

Heck, 2006 one of the world's best players headbutted a guy directly in the chest, intentionally. He got a 3 game ban.

Last edited:
I hate that 'normal part of the game' argument for elbows and slide tackles.

Sometimes you inadvertently catch someone in the face trying to protect yourself. That's one thing. That is NOT an elbow to the head. Daniele De Rossi for example, in 2006, threw an elbow. That is not something that just happens, there was every bit as much intent as the bit.

Slide tackles same thing. You can be reckless to the point where you put people at risk for injury and as someone who has played at a reasonably high level, I'll tell you that myself and every other player does not regard those tackles as 'part of the game'. You get too reckless where you endanger someone it is just as bad as doing something intentionally in the mind of all the players.

The 'biting' overreaction almost invariably comes from non player/media types while many of the players tend to side with the overreaction side. That happens for the same reasons I've just given, because there are a ton of things that either warrant a lot more punishment, or biting requires a lot less punishment. It is not proportional.

Heck, 2006 one of the world's best players headbutted a guy directly in the chest, intentionally. He got a 3 game ban.

I agree that very reckless slide tackles shouldn't be a part of the game. But those are punished, often with red cards. In the case of De Rossi, he was suspended for 4 games for that elbow to McBride. If that was his 2nd or 3rd time, I'm sure he would've been suspended longer.

I'd like you to give me an example of a player who has severely injured an opponent 3 times. I'm not saying that Suarez's bites severely injured someone, but they are dangerous and not human. What made it even worse is that he completely denied doing it, saying that he "lost his balance" and tried to catch himself with his teeth. And then he came out today and said he was sorry, since an apology is the only way he has a chance of making it to Barcelona. To me it seems like you're just defending him since you're a Liverpool fan.

Lastly, headbutting a guy in the chest deserves a red, which Zidane got when he headbutted Materazzi, but it can't inflict much pain or damage. A bite is more damaging than a headbutt because it can break the skin and draw blood.

I agree that very reckless slide tackles shouldn't be a part of the game. But those are punished, often with red cards. In the case of De Rossi, he was suspended for 4 games for that elbow to McBride. If that was his 2nd or 3rd time, I'm sure he would've been suspended longer.

I'd like you to give me an example of a player who has severely injured an opponent 3 times. I'm not saying that Suarez's bites severely injured someone, but they are dangerous and not human. What made it even worse is that he completely denied doing it, saying that he "lost his balance" and tried to catch himself with his teeth. And then he came out today and said he was sorry, since an apology is the only way he has a chance of making it to Barcelona. To me it seems like you're just defending him since you're a Liverpool fan.

Lastly, headbutting a guy in the chest deserves a red, which Zidane got when he headbutted Materazzi, but it can't inflict much pain or damage. A bite is more damaging than a headbutt because it can break the skin and draw blood.

I disagree that headbutting will cause less damage/pain. He could have broken his ribs or if he hit him in the face at all done big time damage. Zidane also had a history of foul play including headbutts.

So to me, there's a huge difference between a 3 game ban and a 4 month ban. You can't possibly suggest that there is THAT much difference between the two offenses.

And for the record I am annoyed because I'm a fan of LFC but I'd be saying the same thing if it were Rooney or Van Persie. It is an absurdly long ban no matter who it was involved. I still remember Joey Barton, throwing an elbow, kicking someone in the leg and then attempting a head butt and all that only got him 12 matches. There have been players who have assaulted referees who get even less than that. The punishment simply isn't proportional. If they banned him for 5-10 international games I wouldn't say a word about it.

Tigers, you cannot compare Zidane headbutting the guy in the chest (and the guy did a great acting job by the way to pretend like he was shot with a bullet) and Suarez biting someone. The guy opened his mouth, and chowed him in the shoulder. And not only that, it was his third freaking time doing it. He deserves to be banished for a long time. It's not acceptable. It's an unnatural act. It's cannibal-type stuff.

Tigers, you cannot compare Zidane headbutting the guy in the chest (and the guy did a great acting job by the way to pretend like he was shot with a bullet) and Suarez biting someone. The guy opened his mouth, and chowed him in the shoulder. And not only that, it was his third freaking time doing it. He deserves to be banished for a long time. It's not acceptable. It's an unnatural act. It's cannibal-type stuff.

You say I can't compare the two as if headbutting someone with force in the chest is a perfectly 'natural' and 'acceptable' thing to do. I can make a pretty convincing argument that it was for more malicious and dangerous than a bite that didn't even break the skin.

Heck, the only thing I saw at the world cup worthy of a 4 month ban was Juan Zuniga intentionally knee Neymar in the back, breaking his spine.

I'm not saying what Zidane was natural. It was a shitty thing to do. But I would much rather take a headbutt to the chest than get bitten by someone. Suarez clearly broke the skin on the other two bites, and you have NO idea what type of shit he can spread to you. I'd risk some broken ribs vs getting infections/diseases from a bite wound. He's not a pitbull. He's a soccer player.

Back