Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Group of Death

Nothing like getting progressively worse results and still advancing. Good old World Cup.

How does a group get this nickname?
by having two good European teams usually, and a particularly good country from South America, Africa, US/Mexico, etc. It's kinda stupid though, especially since no one has any idea how any given team will do, other than the host country usually doing better than they otherwise would.

in this world cup you could argue that Group D was actually the Group of Death (Italy, England, Costa Rica, Uruguay).

it's pretty awesome that we advanced though. we were the odds on favorite to finish last in our group before kickoff.

Glad we lost. Keeps the team humble. A win might have put them in an overconfident mindset going into the 16.

I think we're better as underdogs with little expectation.

Ghana had knocked us out of the last 2 world cups I think.. Along with 2 of the top countries is why I think it got its name...To be fair I think another group had the knick name also...

by having two good European teams usually, and a particularly good country from South America, Africa, US/Mexico, etc. It's kinda stupid though, especially since no one has any idea how any given team will do, other than the host country usually doing better than they otherwise would.

in this world cup you could argue that Group D was actually the Group of Death (Italy, England, Costa Rica, Uruguay).

You could make that argument about any type of pre season rankings, predictions, etc. We as fans need to fill the time some how!

These games are occurring in multiple Brasilian time zones aren't they?

I don't think Brazil has that many time zones. They haven't played any games in the far west of the country so I think it's only two at most.

Also, all the final games of the group stage are played at the same time to prevent collusion from affecting the results.

Ehh, soccer isn't like college sports where there is a ton of parody. The best teams in the world have been the best for decades. So, when you see a group that has Ghana (African Power), Portugal (world power), and Germany (probably the best team in the world), it's fair to say that it will be a so called "Group of Death," compared to a group that had Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, and Nigeria. There were a couple of very difficult groups, and the rest were pretty average.

It's not a stretch to determine what groups are going to be the best.

Last edited:
Back