Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Family movie night sucked

Michchamp

Was with extended family over the weekend... it was great except for when my aunt brought in a bunch of crappy movies, and everyone settled for watching what may have been the crappiest, "The Brave One" (2007).

The dialog was painful to endure, and the plot was indistinguishable from the NRA/Gun manufacturers' PR Handbook:

Jodie Foster plays an NPR-clone talk radio host living in NYC with her doctor fiancee. They go out to Central Park to walk the dog at night, and are attacked by three whiskey-drinking, cellphone-camera-wielding thugs (no joke... one of the guys is taking long pulls off a bottle of JD in between making threatening comments, and another guy films the violence with his iphone cam). They put Jodie Foster in a coma and beat her fiancee to death.

Hey, these things happen ALL THE TIME, right? And it's not even news at the time*, and the police barely even investigate.

So therefore Jodie Foster needs to buy a gun to protect herself, only the STUPID LIBERALS have a waiting period to buy them (... "30 days? I'm not going to live that long.") so instead she has to buy it from a guy in an alley for $1000, who conveniently walks up to her after she leaves the gun shop.

once she gets the gun, she goes all vigilante through a bunch of absurd scenes that were written by someone who never apparently set foot in a big city, and views them only through TV crime news. Then she learns of a really bad guy from a cop she interviews: a millionaire, drug-dealer, human trafficker who killed his ex-wife because she knew too much, and has gotten custody of his daughter-in-law... but only to kill her because she also knows too much. and the cop knows this but can't stop him because he has the lawyers, and those stupid liberals with their laws (I guess that would be the U.S. Constitution in this case?) means he can't just go and execute random citizens, even though that's clearly the right thing to do.

You can pretty much guess where the movie goes from here. At this point I stopped watching and went to bed. My aunt yelled "Oh great, now who is going to make smart ass comments for us???" as I walked up the stairs.

*In other parts of the movie the media swarm over crime scenes with cameras flashing mere seconds after the police show up, but some crime scenes - even ones in public with multiple deaths - they don't. No one else seemed to mind or even notice the inconsistency, but I guess I'm weird like that.

Jodie. Foster. That was the problem. She can't act her way out of parking ticket.

Jodie. Foster. That was the problem. She can't act her way out of parking ticket.

You didn't like her in Contact? Even in Silence of the Lambs, she had some redeeming qualities.

I'm glad you went to bed Champ. Sounds to me like a pretty good flick. I'm going to rent it, and I would've hated for you to have given away the ending here.

Ha. and she wasn't even the worst actor in the flick. but to be fair, it's hard to act when the lines you have to speak are painfully stupid and unrealistic.

there's a scene in which Jodie Foster's character goes back on her radio show after her attack, and she delivers a line in an ominous tone, that went something like this: "The city is like an organism; its DNA and chromosomes continuously changing."

I was like "What??? How does that metaphor even work? What organism has DNA that continuously changes? that makes no sense." (everyone was like "SHHHHHH! we're TRYING to WATCH THIS MOVIE")

It would be better if you could sync it to a Rifftrax-style "MC smartass comment" audio track.

that's not true... I get pretty overbearing after a while. so if you actually like, or at least want to watch the movie, you wouldn't enjoy my commentary.

You are questioning the reality of a hollywood movie?

It would be better if you could sync it to a Rifftrax-style "MC smartass comment" audio track.

I already have one; I spliced it together from secret recordings of our conversations the couple of times we met up.

I really enjoy dropping in his commentary when I watch Al Sharpton on MSNBC, especially.

I already have one; I spliced it together from secret recordings of our conversations the couple of times we met up.

I really enjoy dropping in his commentary when I watch Al Sharpton on MSNBC, especially.

really? and here I thought you were agreeing with me that tsmith is an idiot and we were having a serious conversation.

really? and here I thought you were agreeing with me that tsmith is an idiot and we were having a serious conversation.

Well, I spliced together a number of versions for various things.

I have a Fox News reel; an MSNBC reel; a sit com reel, a movie reel...a few others..

You are questioning the reality of a hollywood movie?

some other family member made the comment to me after I laughed at the iphone-crowbar-beating-scene. "Hey what are you saying? There's murders every day in Chicago, and other big cities."

oh, where to begin.

Back