Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

why atheists are so hated

Hated is probably too strong a word and I think this analogy could apply to a lot of -isms, but the basic idea probably has some truth to it. Pew did a survey about how warm people's feeling are towards other groups.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/

0 is cold and negative as possible, 100 is warm and positive as possible, and 50 means you don't feel particularly positive or negative towards that group. Atheists get a cool reception, but the range for the averages was 40-63, which is not as bad as I would have expected.

PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_ALL.png

Hated is probably too strong a word and I think this analogy could apply to a lot of -isms, but the basic idea probably has some truth to it. Pew did a survey about how warm people's feeling are towards other groups.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/

0 is cold and negative as possible, 100 is warm and positive as possible, and 50 means you don't feel particularly positive or negative towards that group. Atheists get a cool reception, but the range for the averages was 40-63, which is not as bad as I would have expected.

PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_ALL.png

that's interesting.

how come they didn't interview mormons, buddhists, hindus, or muslims though?

no love lost between atheists and evangelicals, I tell you that.

It's us atheists fault... they go around being so mean to everyone who tries to keep Christ in the previously pagan, non-Christian holiday they renamed Christmas.

kinda funny that white evangelicals have such high marks for Jewish people, but it's not reciprocated.

maybe it goes back to the Jews knowing Evangelicals only like them insofar as they believe slaughtering them will bring about the second coming of their lord, Jesus Christ. that would make me feel a bit uneasy as well.

that's interesting.

how come they didn't interview mormons, buddhists, hindus, or muslims though?

Probably weren't enough in the survey.
It also mentioned a 20 point swing in attitudes towards atheists depending on whether or not the person actually knew an atheist. So 30 if you don't and 50 if you do. Assuming most atheists actually know a Christian, that could explain some of the unreciprocated warmth.

Probably weren't enough in the survey.
It also mentioned a 20 point swing in attitudes towards atheists depending on whether or not the person actually knew an atheist. So 30 if you don't and 50 if you do. Assuming most atheists actually know a Christian, that could explain some of the unreciprocated warmth.

Good observation. If most christians met me, they'd like atheists a lot more.

they'd probably even become atheists themselves in order to be more like me.

Good observation. If most christians met me, they'd like atheists a lot more.

they'd probably even become atheists themselves in order to be more like me.

A capital idea!!

So the next time that a group of Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking @ your door, invite them in for a (de)spirited convo.

Last edited:
I'll invite them around back to admire my rosebushes. no one with nice rosebushes can be evil

You are not going to convert a Jehovah's Witness to atheism.

Those people are fucking crazy.

I'm not trying to convert; I'm just saying they will want to be more like e due to my sheer awesomeness.

there's actually a jehovah's witnesses place (church? temple?) two blocks up our street. We drove by on a Sunday one day as they were leaving whatever it is they do together (mass?), and I was surprised they all looked totally normal. they don't seem to proselytize in our hood, or at least we've never seen it so far.

I'm curious why only 89 of 100 Jews like other Jews..why do they continue to be Jewish if they don't like "there people". Same can be said about the other groups as well..

I'm not trying to convert; I'm just saying they will want to be more like e due to my sheer awesomeness.

there's actually a jehovah's witnesses place (church? temple?) two blocks up our street. We drove by on a Sunday one day as they were leaving whatever it is they do together (mass?), and I was surprised they all looked totally normal. they don't seem to proselytize in our hood, or at least we've never seen it so far.

Mass, I believe, is only used by us Catholics. We like to be different.

Based on the attitudes of the Jewish people in my circle I'm surprised it's even that high.

I think they're called Kingdom Hall's or something like that. And every one that I've seen is windowless, which I find extremely odd...

if there really was a religion that was accurate id want it to be the Vikings. Valhalla sounds cool....

I think they're called Kingdom Hall's or something like that. And every one that I've seen is windowless, which I find extremely odd...

It's just that, a hall. They don't believe in the 'house of god' thing like other churches. They have no crucifixes or anything hanging up, it's just a meeting place where they discuss their interpretation of the biblical events, and possibly the conquest of the world.

A kingdom hall has as much in common with an evangelical church, as a walmart does with a hospital.

My sister (one of 3) and her family are witnesses, and huge pains in the ass. I bet the rest of my family would rather they were atheists like me, rather than witnesses.

if there really was a religion that was accurate id want it to be the Vikings. Valhalla sounds cool....

But where are you going to find virgins willing to have sex with all the dead guy's friends and then die to go to Valhalla with him?

Back