Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

idiots taking selfies causing chaos at Tour de France

Michchamp

linky. few of the crashes they have pictures of involve selfies though, disappointingly. I like the dumb old guy taking pics and standing too close taking a shoulder to the chest and going down the best.

How am I suppose to know what selfies were..where would that come up in what I search for with Google?

According to google trends, use of the word selfie online didn't really get going until just last year. It spiked in March, when people were using the word 50% more than now.

Selfie - the narcissistic practice of taking one's own picture at an event or other notable landmark. Often used to post to social media so that everyone knows how cool you are for being in a picture you took yourself at a place you want everyone to know you're at. Also see, really bad pictures that often include a "zoom lense" effect that distorts the face of the selfie in the self-picture.

Also often used by those posting advertisements on various on-line publications where the selfie is used to show the product being offered. Also can be taken in a mirror if you are using an old smartphone.

abc-just-ordered-a-new-show-called-selfie.jpg

Selfie - the narcissistic practice of taking one's own picture at an event or other notable landmark. Often used to post to social media so that everyone knows how cool you are for being in a picture you took yourself at a place you want everyone to know you're at. Also see, really bad pictures that often include a "zoom lense" effect that distorts the face of the selfie in the self-picture.

Also often used by those posting advertisements on various on-line publications where the selfie is used to show the product being offered. Also can be taken in a mirror if you are using an old smartphone.

abc-just-ordered-a-new-show-called-selfie.jpg

that picture makes me want to punch my screen, one of the main reasons I really don't participate in social media.

"hey, look at me, i'm special, look at how exciting my life is."

facebook/instagram = narcissism + insecurity + attention seeking

that picture makes me want to punch my screen, one of the main reasons I really don't participate in social media.

"hey, look at me, i'm special, look at how exciting my life is."

facebook/instagram = narcissism + insecurity + attention seeking

Facebook worked for a long time as most people were new to it all together. You could catch up on what people did that you lost contact with and even get in touch with them...or not, depending on what you find on people's pages. It was like a big high school reunion in slow motion and it lasted several years. But I don't think it works as well as a continuous, normal part of everyone's life. Now that everyone is pretty much caught up, there aren't many good reasons to post very often. I guess it's helpful in looking up people kid's names I can't remember before meeting them...that kind of thing.

Facebook worked for a long time as most people were new to it all together. You could catch up on what people did that you lost contact with and even get in touch with them...or not, depending on what you find on people's pages. It was like a big high school reunion in slow motion and it lasted several years. But I don't think it works as well as a continuous, normal part of everyone's life. Now that everyone is pretty much caught up, there aren't many good reasons to post very often. I guess it's helpful in looking up people kid's names I can't remember before meeting them...that kind of thing.

my wife and I agreed to gradually decrease our Facebook activity, and eventually delete our profiles completely after a couple annoying people pissed us off. we didn't want to just delete them overnight, because everyone would think something bad happened and call us to find out.

we made it through phase 1, of deleting most everything except the profile pics, and years of wall posts (the latter would be too much), and haven't logged in at all for week. but we've noticed there are a few people we still need to contact once and a while, and FB was the only way to do it... so once we get our address books updated, it's sayonara...

Facebook SUCKS!

my wife and I agreed to gradually decrease our Facebook activity, and eventually delete our profiles completely after a couple annoying people pissed us off. we didn't want to just delete them overnight, because everyone would think something bad happened and call us to find out.

we made it through phase 1, of deleting most everything except the profile pics, and years of wall posts (the latter would be too much), and haven't logged in at all for week. but we've noticed there are a few people we still need to contact once and a while, and FB was the only way to do it... so once we get our address books updated, it's sayonara...

Facebook SUCKS!

i've unsubscribed to everyone in my feed so it's only some news and sports feeds. I will occasionally look at the page of someone I want to keep up with but that's about it. It is a useful tool to share some pics with the kids here and there but I really don't do that anymore.

I never thought it was a "selfie" if there was someone else in the pic with you, but I guess it still is.

I never thought it was a "selfie" if there was someone else in the pic with you, but I guess it still is.

I don't know, i think it might be a picture you take that has yourself in it.

This is famously known as Ellen DeGeneres's Oscar selfie with her friends, but as we can see, it's really Bradley Cooper snapping the selfie.

oscar1.jpg

Facebook seems different for the age group of the user. All it is for me (and friends) is a virtual photo album of kids pics and like Red says, a slowly evolving HS reunion. I probably "unfollow" 2/3 of the "friends" because I don't care to know the minute by minute recap of mundane daily stuff and then there are the few friends who deactivate/activate all the time like some binge drinker swearing off alcohol on a Monday morning.

Back