Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Edmund Cardinal Szoka dies

Michchamp

link. He was 86.

I remember learning he was the head of our super-awesome Archdiocese of Detroit, back in Catholic school in the 80's. Man those were wild times.

When I go back to the old school these days, I jokes with em, and I says "You did too good of a job of educating me, teachin' me all about logic and reason and what not. Did such a good job I figured out it was all smoke and mirrors and became an atheist!"

Then we all have a good laugh, and talk about whether this is gonna be the Tigers' year.

Met him as the Bishop of the Diocese of Gaylord. As he was the Bishop, and I was an alter server in the Parish, I served for a number of masses that he said. I do remember he liked things "just so", and was not kind when you messed something up, but outside of the pulpit, he was a very nice man.

He was called to the Vatican, and elevated to cardinal around 1988 due to his financial management ability.

He also presided over the Agnes Mary Mansour case involving a nun who disagreed with the church on publically funded abortions. The case made it all the way to the Vatican.

Back