Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who Is the Greatest ?Saturday Night Live? Cast Member Ever?

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://grantland.com/features/saturday-night-live-greatest-cast-member-ever-nbc-40-years/
Who Is the Greatest ‘Saturday Night Live’ Cast Member Ever?
A brackets tournament to determine the most essential ‘SNL’ player in the show’s 40-year history.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...esults-comedians-vs-characters-vs-superstars/
The Battle for the Best ‘SNL’ Cast Member, Day 2 Results: Comedians vs. Characters vs. Superstars.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...esults-chris-farley-dana-carvery-elite-eight/
The Battle for the Best ‘SNL’ Cast Member, Day 3 Results: A Bracket Living in a Van Down by the River.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...rphy-over-murray-and-the-final-four-monsters/
The Battle for the Best ‘SNL’ Cast Member, Day 4 Results: Murphy Over Murray, and the Final Four Monsters.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...member-day-5-results-and-then-there-were-two/
The Battle for the Best ‘SNL’ Cast Member, Day 5 Results: And Then There Were Two.

http://grantland.com/snl/
THE BATTLE
FOR THE BEST SNL CAST MEMBER.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...cast-member-winner-will-ferrell-phil-hartman/
The Battle for the Best ‘SNL’ Cast Member, Day 6 Results: There Can Be Only One, and He Is Will Ferrell.

Last edited:
Belushi. Then Bill Murray. then Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Dan ackroyd, Chevy chase, Gilda Radner (go blue).

Honorable mentions: norm McDonald, Kevin nealon, Adam sandler, mike Myers, David spade.

This is the second of the personality analysis question following "who is your favorite Beatle?"

I'm going to go with Tina Fey.

EDIT: Oh, a damn bracket challenge thing again, son of a bitch.

Just like with the ice bucket challenge, I'm not playing.

Last edited:
fa86c4ab7f92a919b9afa82f3bd279bf.jpg

I could sit and watch him deliver gags like this all day.

norm.jpg

e3e0c610a5719d675958962f080057ee.jpg

th

NoMa-Bob_Dole.jpg

On second thought, he's my favorite SNL cast member of all time. And of course, he was the one who got fired...

Hard to argue with Tina Fey - she did so much as a writer and castmember.

I would have to say ...

Steve Martin
Dan Akroyd
Gilda Radner
Eddie Murphy
Joe Piscopo
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Will Farrell
Jimmy Fallon

..... there were some real lame years there when Jay Moher and others were on cast and some years where the writing really sucked. If there had to be just ONE all-time great, it would be really hard to argue against Will Farrell, IMO.

The master impressionist and a tragedy like Robin Williams, John Candy, Belushi and Farley.

Champ mentioned Norm Macdonald getting fired, but Chris Parnell got fired twice.

He was the one responsible for the SNL stuff that went viral like the Chronicles of Narnia rap, **** in a box, and others.

He was funny, but not a big name like Meyers, Carvey, Sandler, etc. so Lorne Michaels fired him twice.

But I'd rank my top 5 as:

Belushi: comedic genius with perfect timing, and great facial expressions.

Murray: not so great while on SNL, but that man is the only being who should ever be worshiped as a god.

Farley: another tragedy like Belishi, but 10 times as funny as Adam Sandler ever was.

Tina Fey: half the funny shit you saw on SNL for years was her, then she was great as Liz Lemon too, doing the whole art imitating life thing.

Dan Akroyd: Great career and his sketches about the unsafe toys and when he used to call Jane Curtan a slut were some of my favorite ones ever.

fa86c4ab7f92a919b9afa82f3bd279bf.jpg

I could sit and watch him deliver gags like this all day.

norm.jpg

e3e0c610a5719d675958962f080057ee.jpg

th

NoMa-Bob_Dole.jpg

On second thought, he's my favorite SNL cast member of all time. And of course, he was the one who got fired...

This explains a lot..

My picks Murry and Belushi.

Champ mentioned Norm Macdonald getting fired, but Chris Parnell got fired twice.

He was the one responsible for the SNL stuff that went viral like the Chronicles of Narnia rap, **** in a box, and others.

He was funny, but not a big name like Meyers, Carvey, Sandler, etc. so Lorne Michaels fired him twice.

But I'd rank my top 5 as:

Belushi: comedic genius with perfect timing, and great facial expressions.

Murray: not so great while on SNL, but that man is the only being who should ever be worshiped as a god.

Farley: another tragedy like Belishi, but 10 times as funny as Adam Sandler ever was.

Tina Fey: half the funny shit you saw on SNL for years was her, then she was great as Liz Lemon too, doing the whole art imitating life thing.

Dan Akroyd: Great career and his sketches about the unsafe toys and when he used to call Jane Curtan a slut were some of my favorite ones ever.

Parnell gets a few bonus points for Being in Answer This. It doesn't move him into any top list, but I'm ready to put him on a list of top underrated SNL comics. Between Dr. Spaceman and being on Archer...

Norm Macdonald gets my other vote for underrated SNL comics.

461903_full.jpg

#1 Phil Hartman

And then in no particular order:

Darrell Hammond
Norm MacDonald
Tina Fey
Dan Aykroyd
Dana Carvey

I forgot about Phil Hartman!

Im going to agree. Not a chic pick given the talent level to compete with, but Pound for pound he was solid, consistent and brilliant.

His Anally Retentive Chef is still among the funniest anything Ive ever witnessed on this plant

Days 3 - 4 - and 5 were added in the opening post, along with the Final two for the best all-time.

Fairley
Wigg
Murray
Dratchs Debbie Downer may be enough to make her a top 5
Oteri was pretty good
Ferrell

There really are too many to narrow down.

Fairley
Wigg
Murray
Dratchs Debbie Downer may be enough to make her a top 5
Oteri was pretty good
Ferrell

There really are too many to narrow down.

Personally, I don't find Nick Fairley all that funny. He's fat, so awesome physical comedy, but this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that he's always high and possesses nearly no command of the English language.

Ferrell
Hartman
Fey
Farley
Sudekis
Parnell

at least for me.

Personally, I don't find Nick Fairley all that funny. He's fat, so awesome physical comedy, but this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that he's always high and possesses nearly no command of the English language.

Ferrell
Hartman
Fey
Farley
Sudekis
Parnell

at least for me.

You listed him? :hmm:

Mine was in no particular order. Those were just the first few I though about. I guess I butchered the spelling of his name. :rush:

Back