Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lazy man's analysis: borrow from the informed

kalinesboy

I am an old Pistons fan from way back but seldom hear much about them living as I do out of state. Are these guys gonna be competitive this year? Discuss and post so I have some idea.

Gonna be hard to be competitive if theres no season. If there is a season I wouldn't expect much from them. They seem to be at least a year away, if not 2 or 3. Gotta get rid of some bad contracts/players and start fresh. Good young players ready to be groomed though in Monroe and Knight.

Really not much to say until we see how the roster is going to shake out.

The Pistons will be competitive.. I see them in a first place tie this year.... With everyone else. 0-0. DIE NBA!! DIE!!

I hope the pistons goes 12-70 and lock up the top pick for Andre Drummond.. They are going to be brutal this season if there even is a season..

Look for 40 wins I think. But Ive asked this question before and nobody could quite answer. What happens in regards to the draft next year if theres no season? Do we get to be in the lottery again?

jrange378 said:
Look for 40 wins I think. But Ive asked this question before and nobody could quite answer. What happens in regards to the draft next year if theres no season? Do we get to be in the lottery again?
I believe the Lottery teams get the same amount of ping pong balls from the previous season but I'm not certain.. Here is a copy on another forum concerning this issue as one of the members has an article from Chad Ford..

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/2012-draft-lottery-insider-please

There are no set guidelines for how the draft goes if there is no season. The Pistons will win some games (20-30), but won't be competitive. They benefit from playing in the weaker of the two conferences (top teams are relatively equal, but East is considerably worse after the top 3), but they just aren't a good team.

There's no identity, as we don't have a ball-sharing offense, nor particularly adept one-on-one players. Our defense is filled with bad defenders and Monroe is still too young/inexperienced to control the paint defensively.

From a personnel standpoint, we aren't very talented, and our potential lies entirely on the shoulders of Knight and Monroe. As loathe as I am to admit it, we are better off being really bad (trading away everyone over 25 for nothing) and landing a high lottery pick. Pretty much every player in the prospective top 10 would be a huge step forward for our team.

Beez hit it on the nail with Monroe and Knight. Monroe already is stud, and personally, I think Knight should have been a top 3 pick. Besides that there is nobody on this roster who is to get excited about. Jonas...maybe?

Hopefully 1 more year in the lottery before we take off.

Beez said:
Gonna be hard to be competitive if theres no season. If there is a season I wouldn't expect much from them. They seem to be at least a year away, if not 2 or 3. Gotta get rid of some bad contracts/players and start fresh. Good young players ready to be groomed though in Monroe and Knight.
You are definitely speaking the obvious.. But you never know with Joe D.. It always seems like he wants to keep the old band together.. I think the Pistons should target a defensive big man to protect Monroe, and yes I young SF for the future, as I believe Daye is a role player at best..

And the jury is still out on KNight on whether he is a true PG or a combo guard.. Most would suggest combo since he has a score first mentality, but his size and young age certainly helps, as does his slightly above average passing.. He is definitely a half court player as well from what I've seen from HS and he seemed to struggle in Calipari's dribble drive motion offense.. He is more a jump shooter than a penetrator at this point, and doesn't seem to have the explosiveness to make as big of an impact as guys like Rose and Wall has.. I still think he has a shot in being a good player though..

Knight thus far seems better suited asa combo guard. He's kind of an OJ Mayo guy. He doesn't need a lot of seperation to shoot, can shoot it all over and has a pretty solid 1st step to get the the rack. His shot selection is one of his biggest issues. To say he gets trigger happy (at least in college) is an understatement. He also seemed to turn the rock over a lot on stupid plays. Not sure how NBA ready he is at PG, might have to endure some big growing pains with him. I think he has a Rodney Stucky feel to him but has a higher ceiling. I do believe if he was bigger he'd be a 2 guard with no questions asked.

Are they even close on this yet. What's their cutoff on the season, will they allow the league to have a 20 game season or 30 game season? Or is that too few. I mean if they can't get 40 games will they just cancel the season?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Are they even close on this yet. What's their cutoff on the season, will they allow the league to have a 20 game season or 30 game season? Or is that too few. I mean if they can't get 40 games will they just cancel the season?

Well they're saying they will cancel another 2 weeks here soon. As far as I've heard Stern says there is no cut off as to when they determine the season is lost. I wouldn't imagine they would play a 30-30 game sason though. I would have to believe 40-50 games are about as low as the could get. We'll see I guess. I'm hoping they can come together but it sounds like they're worlds apart. The players are getting shitty offers but are just cutting off conversation instead of pushing through them. Not a good way to get a deal done...almost like a protest instead of a negotiation.

Rumor is they're closer to a deal and could be playing by December. Stern also said there is still a chance to have an 82 game season..(Not sure how but I'm not going to guess. Wouldn't think they could cancel 2 months and the add 2 months but hey, who knows.)

The Olympics start in late July too, so unless the US is just going to mail it in this time they can't push the finals back too far.

DR said:
The Olympics start in late July too, so unless the US is just going to mail it in this time they can't push the finals back too far.

I forgot the Olympics were this year.

When I hear sides are close I just assume 6 more weeks minimum.

Back