Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL player penalized for praying

Sbee

after scoring a TD,

Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground."

"However, the officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression, and as a result, there should have been no penalty on the play," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said.

Hopefully there are a lot of pagans, satanists, and atheist in the NFL so they can do their prayers in the end zone as well

I have a feeling that the ref saw him drop to the ground and didn't realize it was going to be a prayer and threw the flag. I know the internet is jumping all over this, but I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe he should have held back the flag for a minute before throwing it, but that's about all he's guilty of.

Many bring up Tebow, but with Tebow, it was clear what his intention was every time he went to one knee.

I have a feeling that the ref saw him drop to the ground and didn't realize it was going to be a prayer and threw the flag. I know the internet is jumping all over this, but I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe he should have held back the flag for a minute before throwing it, but that's about all he's guilty of.

Many bring up Tebow, but with Tebow, it was clear what his intention was every time he went to one knee.

Agree, ref saw him go to the ground and flag was thrown I'm sure.

in all reality, I think players should be able to do whatever they want in the end zone after they score as long as it's not too vulgar for network TV.

in all reality, I think players should be able to do whatever they want in the end zone after they score as long as it's not too vulgar for network TV.

Agreed. Or it delays the game in some way.

I sort of agree as well but at the same time, the show boating is one of the things that turned me off the game a while back. I don't need a rule though - I'm fine deciding for myself whether or not I want to watch.

I sort of agree as well but at the same time, the show boating is one of the things that turned me off the game a while back. I don't need a rule though - I'm fine deciding for myself whether or not I want to watch.

I'll watch the Lions and cheer from them, more of a Detroit pride type thing, sense of community, etc. none of the players are from MI or very few, it's not like they really represent us. the game turned into WWF over the last few years with their graphics and flames shooting out, pretty stupid stuff.

as for the end zone, like I said, let them do what they want. these guys risk their health and well being for a career that's usually over by 27, let them dance if they want to

I'll watch the Lions and cheer from them, more of a Detroit pride type thing, sense of community, etc. none of the players are from MI or very few, it's not like they really represent us. the game turned into WWF over the last few years with their graphics and flames shooting out, pretty stupid stuff.

as for the end zone, like I said, let them do what they want. these guys risk their health and well being for a career that's usually over by 27, let them dance if they want to

And injury themselves for the season? We pay them so to speak..I always thought it was dumb for Someone to get a sack and celebrate like he was the only one responsible. Forgetting that the guy in the middle helped by taking on multiple OLINEMAN. Or forgetting the fact the secondary did their job so said guy could make the play. And then run in the open "it's all me, it's all me."

Last edited:
And injury themselves for the season? We pay them so to speak..I always thought it was dumb for Someone to get a sack and celebrate like he was the only one responsible. Forgetting that the guy in the middle helped by taking on multiple OLINEMAN. Or forgetting the fact the secondary did their job so said guy could make the play. And then run in the open "it's all me, it's all me."

it's their choice if they dance or not, maybe their teammates like it, maybe they don't, let them regulate it. don't put in these draconian rules about player behavior after a big play, let the players decide, they're grown men out there risking their health and well being

it's their choice if they dance or not, maybe their teammates like it, maybe they don't, let them regulate it. don't put in these draconian rules about player behavior after a big play, let the players decide, they're grown men out there risking their health and well being

I always hear about risking their health..they make millions and millions of a game they choose to play. Don't play if it's too hard..how about the 5 year old who lives in the inner city and gets a stray bullet and dies..that's risking their life.

I always hear about risking their health..they make millions and millions of a game they choose to play. Don't play if it's too hard..how about the 5 year old who lives in the inner city and gets a stray bullet and dies..that's risking their life.

of course there are more people in more danger than NFL players, fishermen have more dangerous jobs, loggers, etc. I do know a few people who played in the NFL and they're bodies are seriously damaged, they have short lifespans.

also, in reference to injuring yourself celebrating, that's just a fluke thing, not common at all. Burleson broke his arm trying to save a pizza in his car last year, should we ban NFL players from going to pick up their pizza?

"Thanks, but no thanks," I guess.

yeah, atheists don't pray.

we would send nice thank you notes to the other offensive players, and maybe the coaches, our agent, the team owner, and the fans for helping to make it happen.

those would take a long time to write, of course, so we'd probably get penalized and fined.

so it's probably a good thing there are no atheists in the NFL, just lots of dumb, violent, religious meatheads.

I'd like to see an NFL player recite a Pastafarian prayer with his hands configured like
fsmprayer.jpg

Unfortunately, it will never happen.

I'd like to see an NFL player recite a Pastafarian prayer with his hands configured like
fsmprayer.jpg

Unfortunately, it will never happen.

yeah.

unsurprisingly, the list of atheists in sports is a heckuva lot smaller than those in intellectual pursuits (philosophy, social or natural sciences, the arts, etc.). and that list even includes chess as a sport, so... if it does happen, it'll take some time. the list of non-believers in the US is growing, right?

There are only two NFLers on the list (Robert Smith and Pat Tillman). one is retired, and the other is dead.

Interestingly, in the Wikipedia article, there was a column for Military atheists in addition to sports associated atheists.

Pat Tillman could have been listed in either category; my thinking is he is more well known as a military man than he ever was as a football player.

It's okay champ, we had the Dragon on our side. He makes up for a lack of many others.

Back