Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nabokov reporting to NYI

titustheyoung

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

I have a hard time believing he was not ready to play big minutes last year. If Kenny Holland makes a move, 99/100 he has done more than enough research to know exactly what he is getting. I understand that Nabby must tuck tail here to get back in the game and make some $$$, but don't tell me the Wings were looking at you as the Playoff answer at goalie.

No idea who this is
shocked.gif

He was the starting goalie for San Jose two seasons ago, he was let go and signed a deal to play in the KHL in Russia. He came back to the NHL late last season when Detroit really needed a backup goalie. Jimmy Howard was hurt, and Osgood had surgery and was still out. We signed Nabokov to a 1 year deal on the cheap, but because he was coming into the NHL mid season he had to clear entry waivers. The NY Islanders claimed him from us (dicks) and Nabokov never showed up in New York, he thought he was going to play for the Wings on a playoff team, but instead had been claimed by one of the bottom teams in the league, with no shot at the playoffs. He never reported and now has to play for them this year or retire. So he made up a BS story, which is why I wrote the 1st post.

TitustheYoung said:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

I have a hard time believing he was not ready to play big minutes last year. If Kenny Holland makes a move, 99/100 he has done more than enough research to know exactly what he is getting. I understand that Nabby must tuck tail here to get back in the game and make some $$$, but don't tell me the Wings were looking at you as the Playoff answer at goalie.

I know we have some ups and downs on goalies, and I am not saying I would want nabby instead of who we have. But you don't think he is a play off caliber goalie?

TitustheYoung said:
Remember why he is not playing in San Jose anymore?

Expensive, and got swept in the conference finals.

Nabokov has been the Sharks??? starter since 2000 and owns a 293-176-29-37 record in the NHL, all with the Sharks, including 131 victories in the last three seasons. His 50 shutouts are second to New Jersey???s Martin Brodeur among active goaltenders. Nabokov went 44-26 with a 2.43 goals against average this past season, helping the Sharks reach the Western Conference Finals -- where they were swept by Chicago.

Nabokov said at the end of the season ??? the last on a five-year contract -- that he would like to remain in San Jose.

Wilson said the decision to look elsewhere for goaltending was simply a matter of allocating money under the salary cap.

"We would like to thank Nabby for the time he has spent in San Jose," Wilson said during a news conference. "Nabby has been a big part of this team for the past 10 seasons and played an important role is our successes. This decision boils down to a dedication of dollars in a salary cap system and under this system, teams can't keep everyone. We are excited about the goaltenders coming up through our system and we will also keep an eye on assets that may become available in the coming weeks."

I remember those pressers. A nice way to save face. The fans blamed him for not getting to a final and ran him out of town. Now he is an over the hill goalie who has not played in the NHL for two seasons. A backup and nothing more.

Last year I was kind of pissed that NY grabbed him just to keep the Wings from getting him, but Im over it now..

Nabby would have been a pretty significant upgrade over McDonald as far as backing up Howie goes, but now that we signed Conklin I couldn't care less about Nabokov.

Back