Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

SEC Cheating

Sbee

Former South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia, now a member of the college football media at Saturday Down South, is not scared to share some war stories from life in the seedy underbelly of the SEC.
During a radio interview on WFNZ in Charlotte, Garcia argued against the rules preventing players from benefiting financially on their likeness.
"Absolutely, I don't see why that's such a punishable offense," Garcia said. "I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these kids can't profit from their name, their likeness, sign their name on their own jersey. I don't understand that and I really hope that rule changes. It's mind-boggling to me, to be honest with you."
The hosts then asked how frequently Garcia saw players getting money in handshakes or in exchange for autographs or memorabilia and also whether the South Carolina quarterback took part in the impermissible benefits. His response warranted a chuckle from the hosts.
"I saw it all day, every day to be honest with you. I wish they came to me, but they thought of me as some rich white kid so I didn't really get benefits from that. I'm just being honest with you. I saw it firsthand with a lot of players and talking with other guys. You know I'm friends with a lot of players from around the SEC, and talking with them, it makes the Todd Gurley thing seem insignificant by a long shot."
Garcia was then pressed to share the most amount of money he heard of in a autograph-related transaction. His answer: "$160,000 for one season" of autographs and the like.
You can check out the full audio of the interview via Mac Attack on WFNZ in Charlotte

not shocked by this, there are plenty of stories about bag men and improper benefits that revolve around SEC schools. I know the golden handshakes do happen everywhere but there is just a general disregard for the rules in the south, it's about winning at all costs there. I've read anonymous interviews with PSU and UM players where they talk about what they were offered on SEC recruiting trips and it's crazy.

Also, 99% sure the player they were talking about was Jadaveon Clowney

Garcia was then pressed to share the most amount of money he heard of in a autograph-related transaction. His answer: "$160,000 for one season" of autographs and the like.

This is why the NCAA shouldn't allow players to profit from signing autographs, etc.

If we're going to look at this fairly, we should expect that this same thing is going on at pretty much every major school in the country. Anyone burying their head in the sand saying, "Not at MY school," is either rooting for a crappy football school or delusional. There is every incentive to do it, and the NCAA is such a mess that's it's pretty easy to get away with.

Back