Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Crossfit kool-aid drinkers

Michchamp

It's kinda like a religion, right? So I post this here.

I never did it, but I'd see all the ridiculous pictures posted on facebook (back when I was still on facebook)... initially I was impressed by some of the lifts people were doing, but then when I learned more about it, I'm kinda shocked how risky they are, and you have average Joe's and Jane's doing hundreds of clean and jerks, lunges, etc. a night under the supervision of glorified gym rats... it's a recipe for disaster.

If that weren't bad enough it is crazy how defensive they are about it. I'm guessing because the brand owners are really walking a thin line of what can be protected by IP law, and if they don't defend it aggressively, risk losing their trademarks & therefore all the $$$$ they make licensing the name.

it's a cash cow... all you need is an empty warehouse & a bunch of cheap free weights as well. Running a real gym is a lot more expensive than that. no wonder they need to resort to scorched earth legal tactics to protect their reputation.

meh, Bally's, Gold's, etc have their own cult followings too. it isn't like they have personal training 1 on 1 with every person there making sure they don't do too much or get injured. gym rats are gym rats, whether in a "real" gym or this setting.

just seems like another fitness con to me. no one really needs to go to a gym to get the exercise required to live a healthy life. plenty of ways to stay in shape in one's own house, yard, neighborhood. yet people dump billions into trying to stay in shape every year, so what is the difference really with CrossFit? they might be the more extreme orthodox variety I guess, but they'll never get a dime from me just like I don't give money to anything else that is of extreme orthodoxy, religious based or otherwise.

I don't see any really good studies. One of the links is to an online survey of 132 people where 73.5% report some kind of injury, 7% required surgery and the rate of injury was 3.1 per 1,000 hours of training.

To know if that's good or bad, I'd want to know what rate are for people of similar health in other training programs. 3.1 injuries/1000 hours is less than an injury a year if you train 5 hours a week.

Then there's the question of results. If you compare to light walking, yeah, the injuries are going to be higher, but does it get people in better shape? An injury a year might be worth it if it makes a difference in your physical condition. The cultish behavior is creepy, but this criticism is really light on useful data.

I don't see any really good studies. One of the links is to an online survey of 132 people where 73.5% report some kind of injury, 7% required surgery and the rate of injury was 3.1 per 1,000 hours of training.

To know if that's good or bad, I'd want to know what rate are for people of similar health in other training programs. 3.1 injuries/1000 hours is less than an injury a year if you train 5 hours a week.

Then there's the question of results. If you compare to light walking, yeah, the injuries are going to be higher, but does it get people in better shape? An injury a year might be worth it if it makes a difference in your physical condition. The cultish behavior is creepy, but this criticism is really light on useful data.

the CrossFit people earlier sued some athletic organization that published a study (conducted by that one state university in ohio...) that stated - like any intense exercise regimen - there were benefits to CrossFit, and it only resulted in an avg., number of injuries as far as they could tell (something like 16% of participants reported it), though it was a small sample size.

IIRC the study also stated the lifts they do are risky, better suited to experienced lifters, and combined with the competitive pressure to do more, they thought the risks outweighed the benefits. There's also no long term study of the effects on the joints yet.

common sense seems to indicate to me that the study isn't going out on a limb here... CrossFit is riskier and not worth it. why push your knees, shoulders, neck & back like that? all you need is a second of bad form or a slip to really screw something up. if you're just trying to get in shape, you can jog or swim. And if you want to build muscle, go lift free weights and for the back & knees, use machines. no need to do clean and jerks and all those lunges and overhead lifts...

Last edited by a moderator:
the CrossFit people earlier sued some athletic organization that published a study (conducted by that one state university in ohio...) that stated - like any intense exercise regimen - there were benefits to CrossFit, and it only resulted in an avg., number of injuries as far as they could tell (something like 16% of participants reported it), though it was a small sample size.

IIRC the study also stated the lifts they do are risky, better suited to experienced lifters, and combined with the competitive pressure to do more, they thought the risks outweighed the benefits. There's also no long term study of the effects on the joints yet.

common sense seems to indicate to me that the study isn't going out on a limb here... CrossFit is riskier and not worth it. why push your knees, shoulders, neck & back like that? all you need is a second of bad form or a slip to really screw something up. if you're just trying to get in shape, you can jog or swim. And if you want to build muscle, go lift free weights and for the back & knees, use machines. no need to do clean and jerks and all those lunges and overhead lifts...

as a rational engineer, I would like to see the statistical basis for the criticism.

as a rational engineer, I would like to see the statistical basis for the criticism.

I will begin my study, but I'm going to ask you to agree to indemnify and defend me (including paying all reasonable attorneys fees) for all damages incurred when CrossFit sues me for defamation, slander, false light, fraud, toilet papers my home, etc.

Don't you do those wacky mud runs?

I will begin my study, but I'm going to ask you to agree to indemnify and defend me (including paying all reasonable attorneys fees) for all damages incurred when CrossFit sues me for defamation, slander, false light, fraud, toilet papers my home, etc.

Don't you get into hot water criticizing without the study anyway?

CrossFit is a chick work out.

How can this post be on here for days without someone photoshopping a baby chick working out in one of these crossfit workout routines? Maybe even wearing a necklace or something with "Crossfit" on it???

Back