Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Recap of my Thanksgiving weekend

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Went to in-laws house. Didn't get home until Sunday night. Here's a fun little list of the religiously injected holiday experience.

1. Prayer before eating. Father in law prayed for all of us to have health, happiness, and love. Then added something about removing all doubt from non-believers. An obvious dig at me.

2. Brother in law's friend had a dream that Jesus told him it would rain in the morning. And it did! Yay, brother's friend became a Christian. Was an atheist. Oh, I checked the weather on the date he told me it rained and it had rained for two days prior to said day and two days after. Miracle!

3. Same bro in law told me about a co-worker who has been having a lot of mucus build up in his lungs and throat when he sleeps. Instead of believing this is a medical issue, he suggested to me and also his co-worker that demons may be giving him problems because he's agnostic. It seemed he was intent on trying to persuade me that I was wrong. I now wonder if the two of them (father and brother) had a plan to convert me over the weekend.

4. Father in law told his wife that she can't watch "Blue Bloods" anymore because some people on the show support gay marriage. Oh and I forget which one, but she's not allowed to go to home depot or lowes anymore because one of them is a "liberal shit hole" that is pro-choice and the other the perfect christian conservative place where you can buy everything.

5. Since the last time I was in that house, the Jesus and Mary images have quadrupled. If you've been in a Mexican Catholic house, you know how crazy they are about their images and little statues. Imagine that x about 10. Every single room had at least 20 catholic symbols. Pictures hanging on the walls, shrines that look stalkerish, nativity scenes, multiple little statues in random places, crosses, four bibles left out for anyone to read, pamphlets that I assume they got from church - one of which was called the employment rosary. WTF???? Christmas music about praising the birth of jesus and obeying God during our dinner, as well.

6. My son, who knows there is no Santa, was told by his grandma not to believe it. She told him who saint nick was (she was wrong, but whatever) and that he is real, but Mommy and Daddy get the presents for most kids because he is so busy. Sunday, he was taken to church where they gave him donuts and taught him a prayer. He later asked me if I was going to go to Hell (he said Heck because he didn't want to get in trouble for saying a bad word) and almost cried because of it. My wife was made to feel like a child when her father got angry because she didn't want to go to church. She still believes in God, but feels it isn't necessary to go to a church to do so.

(Edit) 7. My younger brother in law (11 years old) came back from church. His father asked what he learned and he couldn't tell him. He got angry and made the little guy cry. An hour of preaching from the father later and the little guy was still crying. All I know is he's lucky he didn't say anything to MY son.

Despite all that, it was a good weekend and I had fun. I just can't believe how much religion was pumped into it. Anyone else with some fun religious stories from the weekend...even if they're positive?

I'd also like to note that this isn't a religion bashing thread. Please don't make it that.

Lol. When I was a young kid my Dad would ask me what I learned from Mass that morning. Back then, I was like 14, I didn't really pay attention. I just made stuff up. Later years I found my Dad knew I was just BS'ing.

Maybe you should just convert and be done with it.

Every family has a funky in-law.

This is true. A cousin of my wife is a member of westboro baptist church. He has the signs and travels with them to protest everything. He's all over youtube, too. It's embarrassing.

This is true. A cousin of my wife is a member of westboro baptist church. He has the signs and travels with them to protest everything. He's all over youtube, too. It's embarrassing.

Seriously?! There's only 39 of them and they're mostly family I think. You're far more likely to have a Michigan football player in the family. Unlucky draw.

Seriously?! There's only 39 of them and they're mostly family I think. You're far more likely to have a Michigan football player in the family. Unlucky draw.

He's not officially a part of the church, more like a fan boy. A lot of those.

I don't know if you know who Brick Stone is, but he confronts the WBC and posts his videos on youtube. They're pretty damn funny and the cousin in law is in a few of them, marching with the WBC.

I really don't know what happened to this guy. When I first met my wife, he hung out with us quite a bit. Never really seemed to care about religion. ANd now he's become this.

previously mentioned cousin in law:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMJKkitwjG0&list=PLF5S9a0_aoncCUMXe6zBxZ7_camRC5s_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3xOr8y6KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYV-9AJkgTY

I'd also like to note that this isn't a religion bashing thread. Please don't make it that.
why would anyone? we have a perfectly good thread titled "religion sucks" for that.

Went to in-laws house. Didn't get home until Sunday night. Here's a fun little list of the religiously injected holiday experience.

1. Prayer before eating. Father in law prayed for all of us to have health, happiness, and love. Then added something about removing all doubt from non-believers. An obvious dig at me.

2. Brother in law's friend had a dream that Jesus told him it would rain in the morning. And it did! Yay, brother's friend became a Christian. Was an atheist. Oh, I checked the weather on the date he told me it rained and it had rained for two days prior to said day and two days after. Miracle!

3. Same bro in law told me about a co-worker who has been having a lot of mucus build up in his lungs and throat when he sleeps. Instead of believing this is a medical issue, he suggested to me and also his co-worker that demons may be giving him problems because he's agnostic. It seemed he was intent on trying to persuade me that I was wrong. I now wonder if the two of them (father and brother) had a plan to convert me over the weekend.

4. Father in law told his wife that she can't watch "Blue Bloods" anymore because some people on the show support gay marriage. Oh and I forget which one, but she's not allowed to go to home depot or lowes anymore because one of them is a "liberal shit hole" that is pro-choice and the other the perfect christian conservative place where you can buy everything.

5. Since the last time I was in that house, the Jesus and Mary images have quadrupled. If you've been in a Mexican Catholic house, you know how crazy they are about their images and little statues. Imagine that x about 10. Every single room had at least 20 catholic symbols. Pictures hanging on the walls, shrines that look stalkerish, nativity scenes, multiple little statues in random places, crosses, four bibles left out for anyone to read, pamphlets that I assume they got from church - one of which was called the employment rosary. WTF???? Christmas music about praising the birth of jesus and obeying God during our dinner, as well.

6. My son, who knows there is no Santa, was told by his grandma not to believe it. She told him who saint nick was (she was wrong, but whatever) and that he is real, but Mommy and Daddy get the presents for most kids because he is so busy. Sunday, he was taken to church where they gave him donuts and taught him a prayer. He later asked me if I was going to go to Hell (he said Heck because he didn't want to get in trouble for saying a bad word) and almost cried because of it. My wife was made to feel like a child when her father got angry because she didn't want to go to church. She still believes in God, but feels it isn't necessary to go to a church to do so.

(Edit) 7. My younger brother in law (11 years old) came back from church. His father asked what he learned and he couldn't tell him. He got angry and made the little guy cry. An hour of preaching from the father later and the little guy was still crying. All I know is he's lucky he didn't say anything to MY son.

Despite all that, it was a good weekend and I had fun. I just can't believe how much religion was pumped into it. Anyone else with some fun religious stories from the weekend...even if they're positive?

I didn't realize Thanksgiving was a Christian/religious holiday.

I didn't realize Thanksgiving was a Christian/religious holiday.

Me neither. They pray at every major holiday dinner, though. And already have Christmas decorations up.

Me neither. They pray at every major holiday dinner, though. And already have Christmas decorations up.

when you say "pray" do you mean "say grace" or have like a whole family prayer?

at our family events people will usually insist we say that brief catholic food time prayer and sometimes people will add things we're thankful for (mine are always sarcastic, like asking the Christian god not to let certain religious family members ruin the holidays for everyone else e.g. "Please don't let Aunt Sarah ruin our Thanksgiving again this year with her religious talk.")

when you say "pray" do you mean "say grace" or have like a whole family prayer?

at our family events people will usually insist we say that brief catholic food time prayer and sometimes people will add things we're thankful for (mine are always sarcastic, like asking the Christian god not to let certain religious family members ruin the holidays for everyone else e.g. "Please don't let Aunt Sarah ruin our Thanksgiving again this year with her religious talk.")

bow your heads, thank god, and say a prayer. Normally father, mother and brother in laws say their own. Its usually about keeping family safe and together, but not this year.

George Washington proclaimed "as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God"

George Washington proclaimed "as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God"

And? Thanksgiving has existed way before GW made it official. It'd be like Obama declaring Christmas to be a national holiday for all americans and it has no affiliation with Jesus. Doesn't change the fact that it's still a Christian holiday.

And btw, gw didn't make thanksgiving an annual holiday. I believe he declared two or three days to be days of thanksgiving in his time. Lincoln was the one who made it annual.

And? Thanksgiving has existed way before GW made it official. It'd be like Obama declaring Christmas to be a national holiday for all americans and it has no affiliation with Jesus. Doesn't change the fact that it's still a Christian holiday.

It really isn't though. It's really the celebration of the Winter Solstice, set a few days later.

The not specifically Christian traditions - which are most of them - come from the old European celebrations the Saturnalia and the Yule, that long predate Christianity.

And btw, gw didn't make thanksgiving an annual holiday. I believe he declared two or three days to be days of thanksgiving in his time. Lincoln was the one who made it annual.

You're right; tsmith is quoting a declaration of Lincoln's, not Washington's.

I was going to get to correcting that, but you beat me to it.

wow... this is the first time you ever actually proved someone wrong about anything.

Back