Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

114th Congress significantly more religious than the general population

Michchamp

Link to the original Pew Research report.

Unsurprisingly, Christians and Jews are overrepresented in Congress. Everyone else is underrepresented, especially "Unaffiliated" persons... only one member of congress reported as unaffiliated (equalling 0.2% of the legislature) compared with 20% of the general US population. Although if you credit them with the 9 members of Congress who replied "Don't Know/refuse to answer" that gets you up to almost 2%.

Good thing we gerrymander in all them country districts packed with mega-church freaks... I know those are the sort of people I would look to for guidance on how to run a country.

The Onion's take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a generalization for you. They are underrepresented because Christians and Jews stand for what they believe in, and unaffiliated persons are generally lazy, good-for-nothing whiners, who only care about themselves and not the rest of the country.

Not sure I would look to those persons for guidance either. So who does that leave?

<bait taken>
No you can go home a happy troll.

Here is a generalization for you. They are underrepresented because Christians and Jews stand for what they believe in, and unaffiliated persons are generally lazy, good-for-nothing whiners, who only care about themselves and not the rest of the country.

Not sure I would look to those persons for guidance either. So who does that leave?

<bait taken>
No you can go home a happy troll.

My Congressman, Brad Sherman, is known to be a pretty active Orthodox Jew. He and his wife attend Valley Beth Shalom, a temple in my neighborhood.

My senators Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein also practice some form of Judaism in varying degrees I guess.

President Obama is both a Christian and a Muslim.

Like a lot of the voting public, I count on my elected representatives worry about that kind of stuff so I don't have to bother with it.

Its not surprising to you yet lets make a thread about it..cool.

Its not surprising to you yet lets make a thread about it..cool.

it's an FYI to the rest of you, who whine about being persecuted whenever you can't force some public school or municipal government to pray to your Christian god.

it's an FYI to the rest of you, who whine about being persecuted whenever you can't force some public school or municipal government to pray to your Christian god.

You like to think all Republicans are the same eh? We vote because we all have the same thought pattern and must agree with everything Bush ran for or Regan ran for etc, eh? And of course you bash the Christians .. for someone who doesn't give a shit you sure talk about us a lot.

:zzz:

Odd definition of old man but I wouldn't expect anything less..

God damn I have heard some terrible songs before but that makes Rebecca Black's "Friday" seem like Bohemian Rhapsody in comparison.

Correlation isn't causation. All y'all atheists have blamed religion for a lot of wrong that I won't object to, but it doesn't turn people into congressmen. That's a low blow.

Correlation isn't causation. All y'all atheists have blamed religion for a lot of wrong that I won't object to, but it doesn't turn people into congressmen. That's a low blow.

That was good. And that song was awful.

Back