Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sigh...Catholics....

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
I thought this type of thing could only happen in the middle east or NK or Russia type countries. This is sick. I don't want to hear anyone try to say that the pope didn't know. This day and age and how many people he connects with every day....absolutely no chance he didn't know this was happening. The vatican would know at the very least and if they somehow "shielded" him from this, they are just as guilty as the Philippine government.

Fuck these people and the ones who turn a blind eye.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-clear-streets-Pope-s-visit-Philippines.html

Note: This is not me hating on your religion. Up until yesterday's little comment about mocking faith, I was a big fan of this pope. I don't know, this really makes me wonder how much of him has just been for show.

I'm far, far from being a religious person. But this reads like a government policy, not a catholic one. That is a shit hole of a country. I highly doubt this is the norm and I'd bet a lot of money that the pope didn't order it, nor know about it.

Isn't this pope known, prior to being pope, for spending lots of time with the homeless? I dunno...I'm not buying it.

Not faulting catholics. But there is absolutely no way he hasn't heard about this. And if it is being kept from him somehow, the vatican needs to be put in the spotlight.

Btw the title is just calling attention to catholics, not a condemnation.

Well it's definitely fucked up, no arguing that. Now that it's brought to light hopefully something is done about it.

Don't know much about the validity of that web page but the Pope fucks up frequently.

Abc news reported it as well. It was that news sites story

That doesn't look like something that has just happened this week for the popes visit. Looks like its been going on for awhile.

Unless you are arguing they actively tried to cover it up, I don't see how Catholics are to blame for this.

The Filipino Government yes, but not the Vatican/Catholics unless they knew about it and actively denied/or covered it up, which does not seem to be the case because of the missionary priest Father Shay's involvement in rescuing some of them.

Last edited:
Don't know much about the validity of that web page but the Pope fucks up frequently.

The London Daily Mail has been around a long time; started as a newspaper, not a blog.

Generally considered to have a fairly liberal editorial perspective, but definitely a legitimate new source.

The London Daily Mail has been around a long time; started as a newspaper, not a blog.

Generally considered to have a fairly liberal editorial perspective, but definitely a legitimate new source.

Fair enough. Just never heard of them. Thanks.

Fair enough. Just never heard of them. Thanks.

Sure. I looked it up and it was first published in 1898 according to Wikipedia. It might not be the London daily Mail, though maybe just the daily Mail.

You probably never heard of it because you probably don't read British newspaper is a lot.

As far as the editorial perspective, maybe I'm mixing them up with the guardian.

Our planet's human population continues to multiply exponentially. Not enough edible food and especially potable water for many may, (if not will) someday increase to most.

When I was born, the US population was ~170 M. and now it is over 320 M, almost double. The US has a current net gain of 1 more person every 16 seconds (I am guessing this includes legals only)

The global population was ~3 B, now it is over 7.2 B, more than double.

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

Our planet's human population continues to multiply exponentially. Not enough edible food and especially potable water for many may, (if not will) someday increase to most.

When I was born, the US population was ~170 M. and now it is over 320 M, almost double. The US has a current net gain of 1 more person every 16 seconds (I am guessing this includes legals only)

The global population was ~3 B, now it is over 7.2 B, more than double.

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

Actually, this idea of not being able to feed the population is a lie. Not by you, but by people who don't know much. With the technology that humanity possesses, we could make sure every individual in the world is fed. The poor (especially in developing countries) get hit the hardest because of the lack of money. Food is readily available, but man is greedy and makes money the determining factor of where it is given.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-holt-gimenez/world-hunger_b_1463429.html

Monster ... I did not hear any complaints when Obama visited the Philippines.

Rosalinda Orobia, head of the Pasay District Social Welfare Department, told the Manila Standard that the roundups are to protect the Pope from begging by gangs of street kids.
She said, "They know the Pope cares about poor kids, and they will take advantage of that."

"There is no question that children should be kept off the streets, but a campaign to do so just for the duration of a dignitary's visit helps nobody except the officials who want to put on a show and pretend all is well in our cities," Catherine Scerri of the street children charity Bahay Tuluyan told the Daily Mail.

"It happened before President Obama's visit to the Philippines in April last year," she told the Mail. "When we tried to have them released, we were told they couldn't come out until after Obama had gone."

If the Pope boycotted any countries who sanctioned the abuse of children, he would not leave his Vatican apartment.

Monster ... I did not hear any complaints when Obama visited the Philippines.

Rosalinda Orobia, head of the Pasay District Social Welfare Department, told the Manila Standard that the roundups are to protect the Pope from begging by gangs of street kids.
She said, "They know the Pope cares about poor kids, and they will take advantage of that."

"There is no question that children should be kept off the streets, but a campaign to do so just for the duration of a dignitary's visit helps nobody except the officials who want to put on a show and pretend all is well in our cities," Catherine Scerri of the street children charity Bahay Tuluyan told the Daily Mail.

"It happened before President Obama's visit to the Philippines in April last year," she told the Mail. "When we tried to have them released, we were told they couldn't come out until after Obama had gone."

If the Pope boycotted any countries who sanctioned the abuse of children, he would not leave his Vatican apartment.

Again, I am not blaming the pope or catholics. I am saying the Pope and vatican have to know this is happening since it is now a story. Obama should have said something, too, if that is true.

Christians demand Muslims stand up to extremists, so I have no problem demanding them to stand up to the Philippines and asking their leaders to stop this practice.

If I had heard about this during Obama's visit, I would have been angry as well. And I'm not talking about boycott. A simple call from the pope (or obama during his visit) would have been sufficient.

Actually, this idea of not being able to feed the population is a lie. Not by you, but by people who don't know much.

Not entirely true. If we can keep burning oil at our current rate forever with no repercussions then yes, we can produce food for everyone. But I think we're going to have to shift to electric/nuclear at some point. We need more power to deal with water too.

Back