Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Inherent Vice

Michchamp

so... took the wife to see this Saturday.

BAD MOVE.

The movie itself was pretty good Joaquin Phoenix is hilarious, and there are a lot of surreal and crazy scenes. His character shares a lot of similarities with The Dude, so if you liked the Big Lebowski, you'd probably like this as well. though, of all the crazed, surreal, drug movies I've seen, this one is the most intense, and far out there. few of the characters have any redeeming qualities, making them pretty unsympathetic, which didn't help things (see below).

it was not a very good date movie... I knew one of the themes of the novel was to parody the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll of the 60's, but this was a lot more over-the-top and darker than I expected.

My wife actually got so pissed off, she stood up and stormed out (after a particularly sexual & dark scene featuring extended full-frontal nudity of Katherine Waterston...), and so I missed the last 20 minutes or so... I don't know how it ends. and I'm still in the dog house.

Oh I remember seeing ads for this movie now...when I saw them I figured I would end up seeing it.

SPOILER ALERT: The movie ends with a giant asteroid smashing into the earth and all of life on the planet is obliterated.

Sorry if I fucked up the ending for you.

No seriously-I am sorry.

I streamed it last night.

It was terrible.

The surreal moments were not enough to save a confusing plot, and I generally don't like movies where 1 person is on the screen for 99.99% of the film.

The ending was as much of a letdown as the rest of it.

Don't waste 2 and a 1/2 hours of your life on this thing, that's all I can say. I wish I hadn't.

It was terrible.

Yeah, I thought the whole asteroid coming out of nowhere and obliterating life on the planet was not only thematically inconsistent, but it was also kind of both lazy and derivative...

It was terrible.

The surreal moments were not enough to save a confusing plot, and I generally don't like movies where 1 person is on the screen for 99.99% of the film.

Don't waste 2 and a 1/2 hours of your life on this thing, that's all I can say. I wish I hadn't.

Yes, the plot was ridiculous. But personally, I don't mind confusing plots when I feel like they're intentionally that way... for me, the plot came close to ruining it completely, but doesn't actually do that. I thought it was intentionally chaotic as a reflection of Doc Sportello's rampant drug use.

Throughout the movie though, I kept coming back to the same thoughts I assume you did: "okay, he now has a lot of loose ends here, how are they going to tie them together?" And near the end of it, I was thinking "not a lot of time left to resolve this one... how is it going to end???" And then the Katherine Waterston scene & my wife storming out of the theater made it a moot point.

Coincidentally, I almost picked up this book a couple weeks ago (I needed a couple paperbacks for a trip, and the selection at the local Barnes & Noble was inadequate). I'm curious to see how closely the plot parellels the book. I read a couple of his others (The Crying of Lot 49, and V.) and found the plots to be similarly vast and complicated, with a lot a references to people/events, all weakly tied together, and disappointing revelations about it all in the end. A lot of build up to not much of an ending in each case.

I guess, for me, his works (and the movie) have enough crazy scenes, most of which are well-written, to keep me entertained. They do lack for resolution/coherentness though. He's definitely not a favorite author, and way overrated.

Yeah, I thought the whole asteroid coming out of nowhere and obliterating life on the planet was not only thematically inconsistent, but it was also kind of both lazy and derivative...

Okay... I read the ending on netflix. I think you may have been watching a different movie.

the Martin Short scenes were pretty damn entertaining.

Yes, the plot was ridiculous. But personally, I don't mind confusing plots when I feel like they're intentionally that way... for me, the plot came close to ruining it completely, but doesn't actually do that. I thought it was intentionally chaotic as a reflection of Doc Sportello's rampant drug use.

Throughout the movie though, I kept coming back to the same thoughts I assume you did: "okay, he now has a lot of loose ends here, how are they going to tie them together?" And near the end of it, I was thinking "not a lot of time left to resolve this one... how is it going to end???" And then the Katherine Waterston scene & my wife storming out of the theater made it a moot point.

Coincidentally, I almost picked up this book a couple weeks ago (I needed a couple paperbacks for a trip, and the selection at the local Barnes & Noble was inadequate). I'm curious to see how closely the plot parellels the book. I read a couple of his others (The Crying of Lot 49, and V.) and found the plots to be similarly vast and complicated, with a lot a references to people/events, all weakly tied together, and disappointing revelations about it all in the end. A lot of build up to not much of an ending in each case.

I guess, for me, his works (and the movie) have enough crazy scenes, most of which are well-written, to keep me entertained. They do lack for resolution/coherentness though. He's definitely not a favorite author, and way overrated.

My problem with the plot was everything fell in to his lap. Every single thing he does ends up being part of the same thing. Too coincidental for most of the things to happen, and for as big a deal as the plot suggests is happening, there is only 1 really intense moment. (the handcuffs) I realize it's probably supposed to mimic the stoned hippie POV, but I felt like this was a poor, poor, imitation of something Hunter S, Thompson would have wiped his ass with.

My problem with the plot was everything fell in to his lap.

Well, with due respect to Thomas Pynchon, in Paul Thomas Anderson's best original screen play, Boogie Nights, everything falls into the main character Eddie Adams's; aka Dirk Diggler, lap too.

My problem with the plot was everything fell in to his lap. Every single thing he does ends up being part of the same thing. Too coincidental for most of the things to happen, and for as big a deal as the plot suggests is happening, there is only 1 really intense moment. (the handcuffs) I realize it's probably supposed to mimic the stoned hippie POV, but I felt like this was a poor, poor, imitation of something Hunter S, Thompson would have wiped his ass with.

we left before the handcuffs part. After reading the ending on wikipedia, I'm kinda wishing I had at least been able to watch that scene. goddamnit.

I told my wife "I learned my lesson. I'll never take you to see another movie that isn't Disney"

and she was like "Oh sorry I'm not some cool intellectual like you, who wishes he had a fucked up life like that guy in the movie," and bla bla bla... she really flipped out. I don't know what her problem is/was. I guess that scene with Phoenix and Waterston was just too intense for her.

she's finally over it now. I guess it was just an emotional time in the month for her... (so to speak). We've watched other crazy stuff and she's been okay with it. I guess this one was a little bit much.

That's the part where 50 Shades of Grey is just getting started...

Nobody picked up on the "everything fell into Dirk Diggler's lap, too...?"

Or was it just not that funny?

I didn't think it was that great of an analogy. Like things don't really fall into his lap, as much as they get impaled on his lap.

Back