Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sons of Liberty

Having viewed that trailer ... fairly confident that significant "Liberty" was taken with the actual events, starting with Sam Adams, who was fifty-one years old in 1773.

more than enough people know their history of the beginning of the Revolution, or at least well enough. And relative to the events leading up to the Constitutional Convention, the Federalist Papers, the Convention itself, & the drafting of the Constitution & Bill of Rights, understanding the Revolution is far less important to understand our government and how our current nation functions. I'd rather see more history focused on the Constitution to help set a lot of the current idiotic political discourse (esp. from the mouth breathing "Patriots" on Fox News and in the Tea Parties) straight.

but... I doubt these people would watch that. Re-enactments of the Boston Massacre, Paul Revere's ride, Lexington & Concord are an easier sell. Guns! War! Derrr!

Having viewed that trailer ... fairly confident that significant "Liberty" was taken with the actual events, starting with Sam Adams, who was fifty-one years old in 1773.

probably. and I'm 99.999999% sure there won't be any sort of objective framing of the "Sons of Liberty's" complaints:

"Wait, wait, wait... you guys are among the wealthiest citizens of Boston, and you want to spark a war for independence because of a moderate tax & some trade restrictions that will have an affect on your illegal smuggling business??? GTFO of town!"

No, instead it will be Liberty, Freedom, etc., against "tyranny" and "oppression."

It's meant to be entertainment, not a documentary.

Yeah, after I watched it I decided I liked it as fiction, but not as history. Just had to accept it for what it was, fiction.
that's a shame. I hate when they do that... the original story is exciting enough, why glamorize it?

I was disappointed. It didn't appear to be be as well written as Vikings, and they tried to cram too much time in to 3 episodes. (1765-1776)

But even for fiction, they really messed up the story. Especially Bunker Hill and Dr. Warren.

Really was a letdown.

It really sucks that stations go away from their obvious goals for programming. History channel goes with Hollywood-ized history because for some reason the true history is too impossible to put on film, discovery channel puts on stupid things about pawn shops and traders, and ESPN puts on soccer.

What happens that they divert so completely from their original programming as to piss off their original audience that made them of national importance?

The Men Who Built America was 10x better than Sons of Liberty.

In today's jaded micro-seconds attention-span society, actual-factual content is sacrificed for "enhanced" fiction in an attempt to boost ratings and hopefully increase ad-revenue. So many more choices nowadays of what media to advertise with, than there was 40 years ago when it was limited to radio, over the air broadcast TV, junk mail, newspapers, magazines and billboards.

Attracting advertisers through higher ratings and viewership means also pandering to the lowest common denominator, and those impatient, US/World history-challenged, multitasking viewers require a higher degree of AV stimulation (+subliminal) to avoid changing the channel b/c of becoming quickly bored (b/c much of factual history IS boring, and requires a significant degree of self-discipline and patience to get through the tedium) and/or completely shifting their attention to their incoming/outgoing text messages/tweets or updating their Facebook status on their smartphones.

Back