Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OSU oversigns like an SEC team

Gulo Blue

An Alabama poster put together a solid description of what oversigning is all about, how coaches "manage" their rosters and shows that while there is a difference between the SEC and the Big Ten, since Urban showed up, OSU has been operating like an SEC school and found a way to do it with the Big Ten oversigning rules.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/2vnngc/unmasking_ohio_state_as_one_of_college_footballs/

I haven't read all the comments, but in the 1st bunch, the OSU response is basically "Yup. We're oversigning."

An Alabama poster put together a solid description of what oversigning is all about, how coaches "manage" their rosters and shows that while there is a difference between the SEC and the Big Ten, since Urban showed up, OSU has been operating like an SEC school and found a way to do it with the Big Ten oversigning rules.

Recent results appear to indicate that OSU has been operating not like an SEC school, but better than! Interesting, I guess, is that they found a way to do it within the Big Ten oversigning rules which is what I think you meant to say.

One thing I think we can count on is that guys like Meyer and Harbaugh will take things to the very edge. The key is to remain on the edge and not go over. In other words, to remain within the rules.

Last edited:
Recent results appear to indicate that OSU has been operating not like an SEC school, but better than! Interesting, I guess, is that they found a way to do it within the Big Ten oversigning rules which is what I think you meant to say.

One thing I think we can count on is that guys like Meyer and Harbaugh will take things to the very edge. The key is to remain within the rules.

Depends on whether or not you think booting players that won't see the field is ok. There are way to do it within the rules. There are some Buckeyes on there claiming OSU has just been really unlucky lately with injuries, which is possible, it's only 3 years.

There's also the difference between booting players that probably won't see the field or taking on JUCOs. SEC numbers are higher because they take in more JUCOs, which yields more turnover. OSU has fewer JUCOs so they have to use the other roster management strategies more to keep up with SEC level turnover.

One thing I think we can count on is that guys like Meyer and Harbaugh will take things to the very edge. The key is to remain within the rules.

they're "within" the rules, only if you use cute definitions to claim you're not violating the letter of the law, or spirit of the regulation.

from the post:
"Oversigning is a misnomer for what is really happening in these cases. By definition, oversigning has a blind spot in that it is only concerned with the timespan from signing day forward. If you want an accurate picture for how many eligible players are actually being processed, you can?t simply start on signing day and look forward. You must look at how many players started the season with at least two years of eligibility remaining, and then determine how many of those players failed to return for the following season.
While OSU may not technically oversign by more than three, they are methodically removing players with remaining eligibility in order to allow space for large signing classes, which is the core issue with oversigning."

(emphasis in original)

I guess we'll wait and see whether it's fair for you to try to lump Harbaugh in with this BS. I don't remember these allegations dogging him at Stanford though...

One question the article didn't answer for me: what happens to these guys when Meyer "removes" them? They're still on scholarship, right, just not on the roster? He uses "medical hardship" to basically tell a guy he's off the team but can still go to school?

so a school could theoretically have dozens of players that didn't pan out "medically retired" for various reasons - some completely frivolous? seems like an advantage for any coach cold enough to be able to run his ship that way.

I'm surprised there aren't more malcontent 4th/5th year seniors publicly complaining at these schools. though I guess they know they'd be instantly branded sore losers, selfish, not "team players" and so just move on.

Bottom line is that if Hackett and other B1G AD's think Meyer is breaking the law, they should call him on it publicly, lodge an official complaint with Delaney and/or the NCAA and let the chips fall. Unless or until that happens, it's a non-issue.

they're "within" the rules, only if you use cute definitions to claim you're not violating the letter of the law, or spirit of the regulation.

Isn't that what lawyers do?

Last edited:
One question the article didn't answer for me: what happens to these guys when Meyer "removes" them? They're still on scholarship, right, just not on the roster? He uses "medical hardship" to basically tell a guy he's off the team but can still go to school?

I think so. And this could all be fixed. Just let every team sign 20 players a year and do away with the cap on the total number. Make it in a coach's best interest to build up and retain his players instead of sifting through them.

I think so. And this could all be fixed. Just let every team sign 20 players a year and do away with the cap on the total number. Make it in a coach's best interest to build up and retain his players instead of sifting through them.

Two things:

1. Yes, medical hardship players maintain the academic portion of their scholarship. School is paid for but they no longer take up roster space.

2. I like the idea of removing the cap and eliminating the sifting bit.

The BigTen always had a "gentleman's agreement" but we all know Urban is no gentleman.

Reason Nebraska left the B12 was because there were hard line on recruiting class size that was imposed by Texas, the conference bully..

In the case of the ohio state buckeye football legion of players who are dirty ...wouldn't surprise me at all if Weber ends up like Dee Hart and leaving and winding up at a "lesser" program because of the over-signing there under meyer.

Did you ever get cut from a team?

Nope. But even if I had, I only played for the love of it. Not for a scholarship or any future prospects. And nobody had big broadcasting contracts to show my games. So really, there's no analogy anyway.

Last edited:
Crazy how the argument flips. It used to be Alabama saying that it's not cheating if it's within the rules and Buckeyes in the group complaining about it, and now...

Crazy how the argument flips. It used to be Alabama saying that it's not cheating if it's within the rules and Buckeyes in the group complaining about it, and now...

NC's, I guess, have a way of doing that. Plus, I'm a Browns fan.

See? They used to have a different understanding:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/10/the-oversigning-bowl

there's a website they cite to that allegedly tracks the practice (www.oversigning.com) that appears to be defunct now. would be ironic if it still existed and now ohio was on the list.

...or maybe the site was run by a bitter ohio fan, started after his team got demolished in the '06-'07 championship games, and now that his team hired one of the original practioners of oversigning, and also engage in it, decided to quietly shut the site down?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a diehard buckeye fan but I'm not 100% behind the over signing tactic. I can agree with the 3 scholarship over 85 but after that now your just padding your own team with spots you don't have.

But if the B1G isn't seeing this as a problem then Urban is working within the rules therefor not doing anything wrong.

Does anyone know if you get cut can you sign with a team and not sit out? If that's not the case than the agreement is only 1 year for the scholarship but its a 2 year agreement for the player. Which makes no sense.

I'm a diehard buckeye fan but I'm not 100% behind the over signing tactic. I can agree with the 3 scholarship over 85 but after that now your just padding your own team with spots you don't have.

But if the B1G isn't seeing this as a problem then Urban is working within the rules therefor not doing anything wrong.

Does anyone know if you get cut can you sign with a team and not sit out? If that's not the case than the agreement is only 1 year for the scholarship but its a 2 year agreement for the player. Which makes no sense.

I don't know, but they often "cut" players by claiming they're too badly injured to play, so I'm guessing no, they can't go play somewhere else.

Back