Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Harbaugh: Split not mutual

Yeah now the 49ers can go back to being irrelevant again. What a dumb ownership group.

Yeah now the 49ers can go back to being irrelevant again. What a dumb ownership group.

I depends on what you consider irrelevant. Last season they missed their all pro ILB Bowman for the entire season, all pro ILB Willis for 1/2 of the season, all pro OLB smith for 1/2 of the season, starting center for the season, starting NT for the season. Other O-line injuries to the O-line include several games for starters Staley, Davis and Iupati.

Every team has injuries but this team was hit hard by injuries to their best players. If they are relatively healthy next season they will be a playoff team regardless of the coach.

I depends on what you consider irrelevant. Last season they missed their all pro ILB Bowman for the entire season, all pro ILB Willis for 1/2 of the season, all pro OLB smith for 1/2 of the season, starting center for the season, starting NT for the season. Other O-line injuries to the O-line include several games for starters Staley, Davis and Iupati.

Every team has injuries but this team was hit hard by injuries to their best players. If they are relatively healthy next season they will be a playoff team regardless of the coach.

lol, yeah...

You should know better than to apply logic here. The only reason they were good is because of Jimmy. Every UM poster will tell you that.

So I guess a coach mean nothing :/
I dude is Number five all time in NFL coaching winning percentage.
You guys mention all those injuries and they still went .500 under Jim this year.
Discredit his job and look foolish...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Last edited:
49ers The eight years before Jim..
2003.......7-9.
2004.......2-14.
2005.......4-12.
2006.......7-9.
2007.......5-11.
2008.......7-9.
2009.......8-8.
2010.......6-10.
--------------------------

With Jim.
2011........13-3.........(Lost conference Title game)
2012........11-4-1......(Lost in SB)
2013........12-4.........(Lost Conference title game).
2014..........8-8.........(Injuries)

Last edited:
Not saying he isn't a good coach but from the sounds of it you think it's all coaching.
I could spin it another way too. He never won a Pac Title at Stanford and only won One Bowl game in four years. Players and coaching win not just one or the other.

There is no doubt that a coach needs players but coaching makes a huge difference in a team especially in the NFL where team like the Lions flounder trying to win NFL titles since 1957. Coaching is huge in the NFL. Just look at the stable organizations..

Don't tell me the Lions never had decent players.. Because we did.. Just to many idiot coaches...
I guess we will disagree. I think in the NFL coaching is the most important..

Last edited:
Jim turned around a team that won 46 games the pervious eight seasons and won 44 in his only four seasons there. Pretty sure he had a lot to do with it..

Don't tell me the Lions never had decent players.. Because we did.. Just to many idiot coaches...
I guess we will disagree. I think in the NFL coaching is the most important..

QB and coaching make a good team great in the NFL now. I'm interested about the leash JH gets from UM fans. I know most are expecting 11+ wins now and I don't see it on the roster yet.

Well I root for Michigan and I do not expect 11 wins next season.. I do expect we will see better line play though.
Now that would be a welcomed sight. Hopefully the coach he hired for that job will be good..

Last edited:
QB and coaching make a good team great in the NFL now. I'm interested about the leash JH gets from UM fans. I know most are expecting 11+ wins now and I don't see it on the roster yet.

I don't expect 11 wins. I expect to see progression in player development not regression......With a good coach, this shouldn't be hard.

I don't expect 11 wins. I expect to see progression in player development not regression......With a good coach, this shouldn't be hard.

Individual player progression probably has more to do with the staff he puts together...not JH himself.

I think a NFL head coach is the most important in all the major sports. Just my opinion.

I agree...and I think baseball is the least important.
Probably gotta be basketball. But I can't say I watch to many games actually I don't watch at all.

Baseball the manager has to make up a line up card that plays a lot into the tendencies of the other team. Also deciding when to pull a pitcher, and what pitcher to replace him with. As a Reds fan I watched Dusty Baker screw this up time and time again. But as for getting a team ready I think a lot of that is on the leadership of the clubhouse, but that can probably be said for any sport.

Probably gotta be basketball. But I can't say I watch to many games actually I don't watch at all.

Baseball the manager has to make up a line up card that plays a lot into the tendencies of the other team. Also deciding when to pull a pitcher, and what pitcher to replace him with. As a Reds fan I watched Dusty Baker screw this up time and time again. But as for getting a team ready I think a lot of that is on the leadership of the clubhouse, but that can probably be said for any sport.

I think it is baseball because essentially it is an individual sport. Pitcher vs. batter. All of the other sports have some designed plays which calls upon the coaching staff to do something.

As far as chemistry in the clubhouse / locker room...that stuff is important in every sport and that typically falls on the head coach / manager. In baseball I think that is the single most important aspect of what makes a good manager due to the number of games in the long season.

Back