Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Delaney is an idiot

Will never become a rule, but yeah, it would relegate the Big Ten to below MAC status. Literally zero 4 or 5 star recruits would ever sign with a Big Ten team again.

Will never become a rule, but yeah, it would relegate the Big Ten to below MAC status. Literally zero 4 or 5 star recruits would ever sign with a Big Ten team again.

Did you read the article?

It was a "national discussion regarding a year of readiness for student-athletes."

He isn't talking about the big 10 only...he is suggesting all conferences do it.

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told CBSSports.com last week that he has discussed freshman ineligibility with several commissioners and that there will be "much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBSSports.com that there's "growing interest" in debating the possibility.

SEC commissioner Cletus Jones told the Tuscaloosa Fish Wrap "classes....our fellers don't go to none of them there classes"

ok...last one was mine

I support this about 10000% if it applies to all schools. A lot of programs already red shirt. Just make it universal.

agree with you guys. as long as it's universal, I think it can only help.

I still agree generally with the thread topic.

I'm reading Don Canham's book right now, and while randomly paging through it when I got it, I noticed a passage on his opposition to the Big Ten Tournament. He said something like he was glad it never happened (as of teh Mid 90's when he wrote the book), and said something like "only an idiot commissioner would push that idea over the wishes of the AD's in the conference."

Jim Delaney, folks!

Not sure it will every happen.. For crying out loud Red shirting is used liberally anyway. My guess is the SEC will never come on board with this, and other conferences would never get top recruits ever again..
What about that special athlete that wants to play pro football but can't because of the NFL rules. Now your telling him he has to sit out a year in college too? That would suck...

agree with you guys. as long as it's universal, I think it can only help.

I still agree generally with the thread topic.

I'm reading Don Canham's book right now, and while randomly paging through it when I got it, I noticed a passage on his opposition to the Big Ten Tournament. He said something like he was glad it never happened (as of teh Mid 90's when he wrote the book), and said something like "only an idiot commissioner would push that idea over the wishes of the AD's in the conference."

Jim Delaney, folks!

I'm not saying Delaney has done nothing right, I love the BTT and can't believe there never used to be one. BTN is awesome too. but this whole idea of sitting freshman out will never be a universal decision across all conferences which makes the conference look stupid for even bringing this up.

I just can't stand the guy for several reasons, especially for setting up extremely unbalanced divisions in football and watering down the conference in all sports by adding Rutgers.

Back