Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Countdown To Decades TV channel

turok

CBS has introduced for '15 a "new" over-the airwaves TV broadcast channel that is showing reruns of supposedly popular TV series (in order) that are so ancient that even the now loong deceased actors & actresses' grandchildren already are or soon will be age-eligible for SS & Medicare.

http://www.decades.com/

It just got through airing (or what they prefer to call it "binging") on the entire Untouchables crime series and are amidst the Naked City drama series. both of which were filmed entirely in B&W or "Film Noir" for aficianodos and devotees. I remember that Naked City used to be re-aired @ 1:30 am each weeknight waaay back in the late 60s, and was the last program to air before the TV channel did the National Anthem and Test Screen then it went completely off the air (lol!!).

Just another example of how tight a grip that "Pay TV" providers have upon what type and very limited amount of movies & programs are allowed to be aired for "free" over commercial TV nowadays...yuck!!

Last edited:
I was hoping somebody would put on some more really really old crap on television.

Not nearly enough as it is.

I might want to (re)watch a few oldie series such as Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and maybe the afterschool Goth soap of the late 60s, Dark Shadows, although I never had the desire to follow it & the main draw, being the vampire Barnabas Collins back then & unlike my hooked grade-school classmates.

Last edited:
I might want to (re)watch a few oldie series such as Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and maybe the afterschool Goth soap of the late 60s, Dark Shadows, although I never had the desire to follow it & the main draw, being the vampire Barnabas Collins back then & unlike my hooked grade-school classmates.

That makes sense since none of those shows were ever shown in syndicated reruns since they originally aired.

My favorite Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea guy was Kowalski. He got killed by a deep sea creature about every 4th episode.

I was watching that show in syndication on afternoon reruns back in the 60s before I was 10. I'm pretty sure Richard Basehart and David Edison were the stars (I swear I didn't look it up).

But hey, if this new channel catches you up on all the Voyage to the Bottomof the Sea episodes that you fell you may have missed, all I can say is Mazeltov.

I used to watch the Naked City on from the late 50's to early 60's.
"There are 8 million stories in the Naked City, this has been one of them". Paul Burke detective.

I hope the Decade TV Channel will air the Fugitive with David Janssen as Dr. Richard Kimble,
The Untouchables with Robert Stack as Eliot Ness,
Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford who would always say '10 - 4',
Have Gun Will Travel, Richard Boone as Paladin,
Your Show of Shows with Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, and Imogene Coca,
The Red Skelton Show was always funny,
and the Great One...Jackie Gleason Show.

Kinda quaint watching these old TV programs, again seeing how most men dressed up when going out with a full suit, overcoat, dress-shirt, "wing-tip" shoes (that had stitched-on soles and nailed-on heels that could be polished replaced & repaired, (very unlike our now throw-away era) tie and haberdasher-worthy hats. The "ladies" always wore dresses with high-heels, and white gloves, and put on "aprons" (whazzat?!?) when cooking or cleaning @ home.

The '60s was truly a decade of social change.

Last edited:
The Rifleman
Bonanza
Big Valley
Lone Ranger
Wagon Train
Gunsmoke
Maverick
The Virginian

. . . and that's just the westerns

My Mother the Car
Leave it to Beaver
The Patty Duke Show
Andy Griffith Show
The Bill Cosby Show (With him as a basketball coach)
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Mr. Ed

Car 54 Where Are You
Dragnet
Hawaii 5-0
Ironsides
The F. B. I.

Longstreet (short-lived blind private eye)
Mannix
Avengers
Danger Man
The Saint
I Spy
Mission Impossible

These are just the ones I watched as a kid. Doesn't even hit the mid 70's. Won't even get start on the animated stuff. That list is as long as this whole one.

They could have shows for decades. :*)

Last edited:
My Mother the Car

These are just the ones I watched as a kid. Doesn't even hit the mid 70's.

My Mother the Car used to be universally considered the worst TV show of all time (actually in 2002 TV Guide placed it as #2 behind Jerry Springer), until the 2010 Census, when the United States government officially declared that 75% of all people who knew it had even ever existed were dead.

Last edited:
My Mother the Car used to be universally considered the worst TV show of all time (actually in 2002 TV Guide placed it as #2 behind Jerry Springer), until the 2010 Census, when the United States government officially declared that 75% of all people who knew it had even ever existed were dead.

I guess I must be part of that 25%. It was stupid, but when did that ever stop anyone from watching what just happened to be on TV? :*)

Look at those following the series Gilligan's Island - one of the stupidest shows ever created, but it has a near cult following even today. No accounting for taste - even in the 60's.

I guess I must be part of that 25%. It was stupid, but when did that ever stop anyone from watching what just happened to be on TV? :*)

Look at those following the series Gilligan's Island - one of the stupidest shows ever created, but it has a near cult following even today. No accounting for taste - even in the 60's.

Everybody loves Gilligan's Island. The professor is Gulo Blue's idol.

The Rifleman
Bonanza
Big Valley
Lone Ranger
Wagon Train
Gunsmoke
Maverick
The Virginian

. . . and that's just the westerns

My Mother the Car
Leave it to Beaver
The Patty Duke Show
Andy Griffith Show
The Bill Cosby Show (With him as a basketball coach)
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Mr. Ed

Car 54 Where Are You
Dragnet
Hawaii 5-0
Ironsides
The F. B. I.

Longstreet (short-lived blind private eye)
Mannix
Avengers
Danger Man
The Saint
I Spy
Mission Impossible

These are just the ones I watched as a kid. Doesn't even hit the mid 70's. Won't even get start on the animated stuff. That list is as long as this whole one.

They could have shows for decades. :*)

KAWDUP/Paul,

Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Big Valley, Maverick, + Virginian are on MeTV. along with Rawhide and Wanted Dead or Alive.
So is Andy Griffith, loved Otis the drunk, and Ernest T. Bass of the Darlings aka Howie Morris.

Even as a kid watching my mother the car, I thought it sucked.

Dragnet with Jack Webb and the guy who was on Mash are on, the original partner to Jack Webb was Ben Alexander.
and the original Hawaii 5 - 0 Mannix , The Saint, and Mission Impossible are also on one of those oldies channels now.

Yeah, Car 54 was great, Joe E. Ross was also on the Phil Silver Show as Sgt. Rupert Ritzik, spelling.

I'm sure, Beaver, Petticoat Junction and Greenacres are also on, some of these shows might be on late night or very early mornings.
Mr. Ed, "Oh Wilbur"! Har!!

Danger Man and also either before or after Secret Agent Man was good with Patrick McGoohan a great British actor. He was the guy on the show back in iirc 1967 called
The Prisoner. He was Number 6, a secret agent who wanted to retire and they wouldn' let him, took him away to some island. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/?ref_=nv_sr_1
In fact, McGoohan was first asked to be James Bond, but he turned them down and they went with Sean Connery.

Shows I watched as a kid I am sure I am missing some.. I am dumb what channel is it on?

Green Hornet.........................Bruce Lee can kick anyone's ass!!!!!
Batman.................................LOL
Monkey's...............................LOL
Star Trek...............................More re-runs then live.
Mission Impossible
Hawaii 5-0
Mannix
Gun Smoke................................but just a little more reruns
Ironside.....................................Re-runs
Voyage to the bottom of the sea....A Favorite
Kung Fu......................................Grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dark Shawdows...........................Barnabas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PT 109
Lost in Space...............................Danger, Danger, Danger.
Gilligan's Island............................Sit right back and
Walton's..........................My dad liked the show and so did my wife so it was on all the time and
John Boy is crying again...LOL.
Little House on the Prairie.. (only because of the wife)..

Last edited:
I've come across Batman the campy TV show with Adam West flipping through the channels. When it happens again I'll note the network and let you know.

EDIT: Damn I have no idea how I linked to all that Batman being sold at Walmart.

Last edited:
I've come across Batman the campy TV show with Adam West flipping through the channels. When it happens again I'll note the network and let you know.

EDIT: Damn I have no idea how I linked to all that Batman being sold at Walmart.

It looks like they were showing it this morning on IFC...I guess that's international film channel...it's just getting started here on IFC West; it looks like it's over in the east...anyway I'm going to watch hockey and workout instead of watching these episodes of Batman...even these are ones with Julie Newmar as Catwoman...she was my favorite Catwoman...

I guess that's international film channel

Independent Film channel, actually....

One day not terribly long ago, my 10 year old nephew who does not have any cable was over and flipping through channels. He stopped at IFC because "Batman" was on. He watched for about 5 minutes then turned to me with the most sincere and perfect "WTF" face I have ever seen.

Well...it took over a week for that Decades channel to finally burn through all of those "8 million" stories in the Naked City.

Now they are showing Daniel Boone re-re-re-re-re-reruns. Can Davy Crockett be far behind?

Maybe these two hero-frontiersman series could even revive the looong dead "coonskin cap" -wearing boomer boy craze of the late 50s.

Apparently the fashionistas of today are now pushing flared slacks/jeans for women ala men's of the late 60s. No creases or stripes for 'em though.

Last edited:
Back