Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Goaltending Call Didn't Necessarily Allow UCLA to Advance Past SMU

tinselwolverine

I really can't tell by looking at whether it was the right call or a bad call; whether the ball hit the rim or didn't BUT what I did see -

I did see UCLA Bruin forward Kevon Looney appear to come up with what would have been the rebound with 10.7 seconds left on the clock; plenty of time for him to go back up with a two point attempt to tie the game, assuming he wouldn't have ended booting the board, or dish to a team mate for another tying two point attempt or a three point attempt that could have taken the lead.

So we don't what would have happened if goaltending hadn't been called.

I keep hearing the so called "experts" claim the controversial call allowed UCLA to advance but that isn't necessarily the case - the Bruins certainly could have ended up winning and advancing had the goaltend not been called.

But then experts usually have no idea what they're talking about.

But the 3 points are what was really huge.. If UCLA only gets a 2 on a put back SMU gets the final shot and if they miss the game goes into OT at the worst. I think the call cost SMU big time..

But the 3 points are what was really huge.. If UCLA only gets a 2 on a put back SMU gets the final shot and if they miss the game goes into OT at the worst. I think the call cost SMU big time..

It absolutely did - assuming it was a bad call. But it didn't necessarily absolutely cost them the game. They still could have lost might have lost.

it was a bad call.. Ball was wide right not even close to a hoop..

Back