Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

AL CY Young Comparison (Insider)

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
An ESPN Insider comparision:

I watched a lot of CC Sabathia's 3-2 victory over the White Sox, and it was evident early in the game that he didn't have his best stuff. But as he has done time and time again this year, he battled and worked his way through hitters, and he continues to be part of what appears to be one of the greatest races for the Cy Young Award we have ever seen.

Sabathia is 16-5, with a 2.55 ERA. Justin Verlander is 15-5, 2.24, and Jered Weaver is 14-5, 1.88.

Besides being dominant, all three are among the greatest plow horses in the majors. Their current rank among all pitchers in innings:

1. Verlander 181
2. Sabathia 176.2
3. Weaver 167.2

Their current rank in WHIP:

1. Verlander 0.87
3. Weaver, 0.94
22. Sabathia 1.22

Strikeouts:

1. Verlander 178
3. Sabathia 162
11. Weaver 142

Opponents' OPS:

1. Verlander .524
3. Weaver .538
8. Sabathia .590

Overall defensive independent ERA (DIPS):

4. Sabathia 2.75
6. Weaver 2.87
7. Verlander 2.87

From FanGraphs.com, their AL rankings in xFIP:

1. Verlander 2.94
2. Sabathia 3.03
39. Weaver 3.58

WAR (AL rankings):

1. Sabathia 5.8
3. Verlander 5.5
4. Weaver 5.1

Josh Beckett has a 2.17 ERA, but he has thrown about 35-45 fewer innings and this has a major impact on his overall body of work, so he's a few long strides behind Verlander, Weaver and Sabathia.

Of course I'm completely unbiased (yeah right) but I'm going with verlander.

Fixed the format a bit so easier to read.

can anyone explain to me what WAR is? never really understood that stat.

WAR is wins above replacement. Replacement is defined very specifically for my purposes: it

uh. wow. so basically the higher the better?

What about beckett? I hope JV can finish strong and leave these ass clowns in the dust.

I hope so too. But Verlander, I didn't expect him to dominate like this. And I don't want hot head Weaver win anything.

If Verlander could just put together an April. lol

Pretty cut and dry to me, the same guy is at the top of the list in 5 of those 9 categories, the other 4 are split between 2 other pitchers. That same guy is also the only one on that list to have thrown a no hitter thus far this season. Its JV's to lose at this point IMO.

Verlander has been so dominant I think it would be hard to not see him winning it. But Sabathia and that Yankee mystique seems to usually get the benefit of the doubt so we will see.

CC has a 1.12 whip, not 1.22. I think too many people (ESPN im calling you out) overlook wins. Besides wins, Verlander is ahead of Sabathia in every major statistical category.

suh said:
CC has a 1.12 whip, not 1.22. I think too many people (ESPN im calling you out) overlook wins. Besides wins, Verlander is ahead of Sabathia in every major statistical category.

I think up until the past two seasons wins weren't under valued but overvalued. Take NY and Seattle. Last year King wins 13, in NY probably 25. They finally got around to seeing the light.

I meant overvalue I just used the wrong word. Sorry about that

It's Justin's right now, but it's real close with he and Weaver. Weaver has some good Defense behind him though and has played a little weaker opposition. If Justin keeps it up, he will win, he's the pitcher they are talking about all year with his no hitter, no hit bids, and 101 mph fastballs in the 8th inning.

Weaver's meltdown and loss to the Tigers could come back and bite him.

Back