Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Open Championship

byco42

Surprised there is no thread on this? Monday final round and anyone who is -7 or better with a shot. Paul Dunne first amateur to lead after 54 holes since 1927 (Bobby Jones). Speith in position to be the first to win the first three majors since Hogan in '53. Louis Oosthuizen could win back-to-back at St. Andrews. Another amateur (Ollie Schniederjans) is currently -10.

If the weather changes in the afternoon, it will get interesting.

I've been up watching for a bit this morning already. Kiddo still fast asleep but I'm up.

very crowded leader board

I've been up watching for a bit this morning already. Kiddo still fast asleep but I'm up.

very crowded leader board

The Open Championship has always been my favorite. Message exchange yesterday bet. my first-born and me:

ME: "I am watching the Open and I think that some of the fans have been drinking."

SON: "Not possible."

ME: "Yeah, you're right."

I think the heckling following tee shots is far more creative than 'get in the hole!' shouted after every_single_golf_shot in the US..

My Dad always sort of looked like Tom Watson and I remember he didn't like Jack at all (...my Dad). He thought he was too cocky..

Yeah, I know ..I think it was more in the same vein as folks resenting Tiger (or the Patriots) for such domination.

He used to say he didn't like John Elway either ....or Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

He's pretty big on humility. Dad got sort of mad at me when he was at City of Hope battling Leukemia and I told his young buck, "Pepperdine Swimmer" Physical Therapist that he was treating an All-American Swimmer who punked the venerable Mark Spitz from time to time while in college.

My brother, sister and I want to have him inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame but he won't have it.

.....back to the Open. This is pretty awesome golf. Lots of folks at work or driving to work missing it

Yeah, I know ..I think it was more in the same vein as folks resenting Tiger (or the Patriots) for such domination.

He used to say he didn't like John Elway either ....or Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

He's pretty big on humility. Dad got sort of mad at me when he was at City of Hope battling Leukemia and I told his young buck, "Pepperdine Swimmer" Physical Therapist that he was treating an All-American Swimmer who punked the venerable Mark Spitz from time to time while in college.

My brother, sister and I want to have him inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame but he won't have it.

.....back to the Open. This is pretty awesome golf. Lots of folks at work or driving to work missing it

Pretty cool that Mark Spitz was in your dad's wake. I bet Doc Councilman gave Spitz a few lashes for that.

Last edited:
Legend has it that members of the Indiana swim team openly and vocally rooted for my Dad against Spitz because he was such an asshat.

Unfortunately Spitz excelled in the butterfly, which was my Dad's strength as well.

The Open Championship has always been my favorite. Message exchange yesterday bet. my first-born and me:

ME: "I am watching the Open and I think that some of the fans have been drinking."

SON: "Not possible."

ME: "Yeah, you're right."

I just got up and turned on the telly.

Oosthuizen currently at -13 I guess after 2 against a huge bunched up pack at -12 and -11.

One beer in the fridge; I suppose I could walk down to beer store on the corner and get more and take today off.

Final round of the Open Championship has to be a national holiday somewhere.

Vic, there's your buddy Mike Tirico; he's your other buddy's Dr. Dave's neighbor there in Ann Arbor, right?

Vic, there's your buddy Mike Tirico; he's your other buddy's Dr. Dave's neighbor there in Ann Arbor, right?

Yep, you drive right past Tirico's house to get to Dr. Dave's in that development off Newport.. The Tirico kids are at Forsythe now, done with Wines

One beer in the fridge; I suppose I could walk down to beer store on the corner and get more and take today off.

oh man, I wish I could do the same.

get this: wife's friend is staying with us for a week, and her husband is in town for the weekend too. wife's friend is a nightmare... incredibly selfish, constantly getting offended for the smallest perceived slight, health food nut, etc. the husband is in the army, an actual West Point grad, but completely beaten into submission by her (I fear for our military leadership even more now...).

She won't let him drink! Even a beer! we grilled out over the weekend, and I offered him a non-alcoholic beer. he accepted, and then later came up to me, and said "[my wife] said it's still bad to drink this." He was being completely serious. I couldn't believe this guy! I said to him, "uh, it's non-alcoholic beer... I really don't know what to tell you."

I wanted to tell him to grow a goddamn spine.

Get him a Mickey's big mouth/grenade...have him chug it, then chuck the grenade into his wife's noggin...

they've already been fighting all weekend over the most trivial crap, so that would be inciting a full blown war in my house, call to law enforcement, attention from the neighbors, etc. which I'm hoping to avoid.

he's leaving today, as I understand it. she leaves Thursday.

I can't wait for this to be over.

they've already been fighting all weekend over the most trivial crap, so that would be inciting a full blown war in my house, call to law enforcement, attention from the neighbors, etc. which I'm hoping to avoid.

he's leaving today, as I understand it. she leaves Thursday.

I can't wait for this to be over.

Yeah, probably best to leave it then...

Sorry I forgot about it.. With my back issues golf just isn't my thing.. I my tune into the last few holes but i will probably forget..I use to play a lot back in the day.. It was fun to play for sure.. I was never any good but had a few cool moments..

Last edited:
Zach Johnson almost hit me with a tee shot at the BMW Championship last fall here ...

Walked up and said, "anyone get hurt?" and then played his second shot. For some reason I thought he was a Longhorn these years

Back