Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bucks Continue to Make History

jwlcosu

After being the first to win the historic College Football Playoff (re-live the build-up and crescendo here: http://detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?t=18550), the Buckeyes are now the first team in the 66 year history of the pre-season AP poll to be a unanimous #1 selection: http://espn.go.com/college-football...ckeyes-no-1-associated-press-preseason-top-25

This sets the stage for lots of things, potentially, including a couple of November showdowns you boys might be looking forward to. It's nearly impossible to go wire-to-wire but if The 2015-16 Ohio State University Buckeyes take care of business, it's likely they'll be viewed as the NCAA best of all time.

p.s. to Sbee: I told you Sparty is top 5.

Last edited:
Cris Carter is a real shining example of what OSU Football has produced.

And we are having the son and his girlfriend over tomorrow for some rabbit that my daughter slaughtered a few weeks ago. She lives on a farm.

And we are having the son and his girlfriend over tomorrow for some rabbit that my daughter slaughtered a few weeks ago. She lives on a farm.

HOF player but a knucklehead. Every program puts out some knuckleheads!

You're really wanting to run with this Carter went to OSU angle aren't you?

Someone seems a bit stuck on other programs and a little quick to forget their own recent history of churning out quality individuals.

I agree with Tom (doesn't happen often). Major programs all have produced a number of douchebags.

Last edited:
I could give a shit about #1 rank in August - November. Get into the playoff again and see what happens.

As for CC he is good at saying stupid shit. But for the record he's right. Why have 10 guys that you buy everything for and your holding the dope or driving drunk. Have them take the fall.

Duh #newmoney

Last edited:
I could give a shit about #1 rank in August - November. Get into the playoff again and see what happens.

As for CC he is good at saying stupid shit. But for the record he's right. Why have 10 guys that you buy everything for and your holding the dope or driving drunk. Have them take the fall.

Duh #newmoney

Or the player could be advised to ditch the posse and not carry dope or drive drunk.

Or the player could be advised to ditch the posse and not carry dope or drive drunk.

Sarcasm font wasn't read?

Agree you don't need a crew unless they are filled with level headed people that put you in good situations. I don't understand how you bust your ass and make every sacrifice to become a pro athlete then you let idiots drag you down. So many cases of this it's not rare.

Surprised and obviously disappointed by Carter's remarks. He has been open about the fact that he nearly lost his career as a result of addiction. See here: http://www.christiandrugrehab.com/christian-recovery/addiction-nfl/.

He's also openly advocated for a tough-love sort of approach for the purpose of turning guys like Josh Gordon around and so, again, his remarks don't jive with the person I thought he had become.

Maybe CC is today's example of Christians behaving badly.

Last edited:
After being the first to win the historic College Football Playoff (re-live the build-up and crescendo here: http://detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?t=18550), the Buckeyes are now the first team in the 66 year history of the pre-season AP poll to be a unanimous #1 selection: http://espn.go.com/college-football...ckeyes-no-1-associated-press-preseason-top-25

This sets the stage for lots of things, potentially, including a couple of November showdowns you boys might be looking forward to. It's nearly impossible to go wire-to-wire but if The 2015-16 Ohio State University Buckeyes take care of business, it's likely they'll be viewed as the NCAA best of all time.

p.s. to Sbee: I told you Sparty is top 5.
Preseason top 5 is nice for fans to talk about but the final rankings matter. We've been top 5 for the last two years, only team in the country to do that

It's silly to brag about it since late season rankings are so much more meaningful. But it's definitely better to start the season in the top 10 given how hard it is to move up from a lower ranking - unless you're an SEC team that won 4 meaningless non-conference games then beat Vandy and Kentucky in which case you're vaulted into the top 5 (maybe 6th if the preseason top 5 are still undefeated)...

Last edited:
It's silly to brag about it since late season rankings are so much more meaningful. But it's definitely better to start the season in the top 10 given how hard it is to move up from a lower ranking - unless you're an SEC team that won 4 meaningless non-conference games then beat Vandy and Kentucky in which case you're vaulted into the top 5 (maybe 6th if the preseason top 5 are still undefeated)...

I don't know...MSU started the 2013 season unranked. They played W Mich, Youngstown St, USF and lost to ND OOC. By the end of the season they were top 4

I don't know...MSU started the 2013 season unranked. They played W Mich, Youngstown St, USF and lost to ND OOC. By the end of the season they were top 4

We ended up 3rd but that's actually what I'm talking about. Look at the rankings week by week for that season. We didn't get ranked until week 10 when we were 7-1 (22nd) and were still only ranked 16th by week 12 and didn't get to 10th until week 15.

It took us all season to get to 10th then we played and beat #2 and #5 to end up 3rd. Had we started out top 20 or top 15 we may have been in the NC conversation. Start out top 10 then beat #2 and we're definitely in the conversation.

Stanford and So Car both had 2 losses before the bowl games and were both still top 10. We were better than both those teams but if we lost to #2 in the B1G champ game we would have dropped to somewhere between 12-15.

I'm not saying we were NC caliber and I'm not saying we weren't, just that there's a big advantage to being ranked to start the year and the higher, the better.

Last edited:
We ended up 3rd but that's actually what I'm talking about. Look at the rankings week by week for that season. We didn't get ranked until week 10 when we were 7-1 (22nd) and were still only ranked 16th by week 12 and didn't get to 10th until week 15.

It took us all season to get to 10th then we played and beat #2 and #5 to end up 3rd. Had we started out top 20 or top 15 we may have been in the NC conversation. Start out top 10 then beat #2 and we're definitely in the conversation.

If they would have started in the top 10 they would have dropped into the 20's after the ND loss. Going into the OSU game they were 10th with no wins vs. a team in the top 25 (on that date). Even with the OSU win...they were not going to be in any conversation no matter where they started in the rankings.

If they would have started in the top 10 they would have dropped into the 20's after the ND loss. Going into the OSU game they were 10th with no wins vs. a team in the top 25 (on that date). Even with the OSU win...they were not going to be in any conversation no matter where they started in the rankings.

No, they wouldn't have. ND was ranked 14th and only dropped 7 spots when they lost to a ranked michigan team. No way we drop 11 or more spots losing to a ranked team. Also, like I said above, this isn't about whether we'd be in the conversation for the NC or not, it's about how hard it is to move up in the rankings the lower you start and your own example proves it.

And we didn't have any wins against top 25 teams because we knocked michigan out of the top 25 when we thumped them in week 10.

Last edited:
No, they wouldn't have. ND was ranked 14th and only dropped 7 spots when they lost to a ranked michigan team. No way we drop 11 or more spots losing to a ranked team. Also, like I said above, this isn't about whether we'd be in the conversation for the NC or not, it's about how hard it is to move up in the rankings the lower you start and your own example proves it.

And we didn't have any wins against top 25 teams because we knocked michigan out of the top 25 when we thumped them in week 10.

MSU proved it isn't hard...unranked to top 4. They didn't do much all year until OSU. Beat an over rated ND team and an over rated UM team. Other than that...beat a bunch of scrubs.

MSU proved it isn't hard...unranked to top 4. They didn't do much all year until OSU. Beat an over rated ND team and an over rated UM team. Other than that...beat a bunch of scrubs.

yeah, it's not hard - all you have to do is go 7-1 to crack the top 25 and 11-1 to get a whiff of the top 10 - piece of cake. Contrast that with teams that start out in the top 10 and drop just 4 or 5 spots after losing 2 of their first 8 games. You've convinced me, there's definitely no advantage to starting out ranked.

Awesome conclusion by the way - it's been done, so it's not hard. Tough to argue w/ that logic. I think I'll go for a stroll up to the peak of Everest this weekend or maybe run a marathon a day for the next month. Afterall, it's been done, how hard can it be?

Last edited:
yeah, it's not hard - all you have to do is go 7-1 to crack the top 25 and 11-1 to get a whiff of the top 10 - piece of cake. Contrast that with teams that start out in the top 10 and drop just 4 or 5 spots after losing 2 of their first 8 games. You've convinced me, there's definitely no advantage to starting out ranked.

Awesome conclusion by the way - it's been done, so it's not hard. Tough to argue w/ that logic. I think I'll go for a stroll up to the peak of Everest this weekend or maybe run a marathon a day for the next month. Afterall, it's been done, how hard can it be?

I should have put a caveat on that statement. Not hard when you play a bunch of shitty teams. Comparing that schedule to climbing Mt Everest? More like climbing a bunny hill at Mt Brighton!

BTW...I never said there was no advantage...all you need is a schedule full of scrubs and beat one good team!

Last edited:
I should have put a caveat on that statement. Not hard when you play a bunch of shitty teams. Comparing that schedule to climbing Mt Everest? More like climbing a bunny hill at Mt Brighton!

BTW...I never said there was no advantage...all you need is a schedule full of scrubs and beat one good team!

That's all you need and then it's not hard? Really? Aren't you the guy who on the MSU board said you think OSU, the consensus #1 team who plays nothing but shit teams will drop a game before they face MSU? Is it your contention that's it's harder to beat a bunch of shitty teams when you're the most talented team in the country than when you're an unranked team coming off a losing season?

And if it's so easy, how come Iowa, NW, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue never do it? They have virtually the same schedule and come off losing seasons all the time. I mean, it's so easy, right? How come it's so rarely done?

It's a fact - there is a perception bias and low and unranked teams have a hard time moving up. If we lost to OSU then won a bowl game we probably finish 15 and Stanford, who we beat would still have finished top 10 with the same record if they lost to OSU in the rose bowl. But you have a compelling case - you're unranked it's not hard to finish 4th - just beat all the teams that beat you the year before, and beat top 2 team to win the B1G and a top 5 team to win the Rose Bowl. Piece of cake - happens all the time.

Back