Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bret Bielma's comments prior to losing to Toledo

tomdalton22

Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, who coached in the Big Ten at Wisconsin before relocating in Fayetteville, didn't mind taking a verbal shot at Ohio State's schedule.

Bielema is fast becoming the Steve Spurrier of the new millennium, saying what he feels with little filter, like describing his feelings watching his quarterback kneel killing the final seconds of last year's Texas Bowl win over Texas as "borderline erotic."

So when Bielema was asked Wednesday about the SEC's domination of this week's AP top 25, he initially started down the Humble Expressway. . .

"It's just wonderful, I love it," said Bielema, whose Razorbacks are ranked No. 18. "It's a major statement to obviously not only everybody here, but to the nation. I mean those things don't just happen."

And then he veered off the first exit he could find to run over the Buckeyes.

"I'm sitting there the other day watching the Monday night (Ohio State) game," he said. "I spent a lot of time in that other conference. Ohio State's ranked No. 1 and they have one game remaining on their schedule that has anybody ranked right now, Michigan State, and I look at it and we're going to play eight straight opponents that are ranked.

"It just goes to show that Jeff Long (Arkansas' athletic director who's also the chairman of the College Football Playoff selection committee) and his committee have a huge task in front of them.

"It's truly unprecedented what every team in this league (the SEC) can bring. If anybody tries to argue that, they're completely nonsense. It's a whole other level when it comes to competitive nature and balance."

Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, who coached in the Big Ten at Wisconsin before relocating in Fayetteville, didn't mind taking a verbal shot at Ohio State's schedule.

Bielema is fast becoming the Steve Spurrier of the new millennium, saying what he feels with little filter, like describing his feelings watching his quarterback kneel killing the final seconds of last year's Texas Bowl win over Texas as "borderline erotic."

So when Bielema was asked Wednesday about the SEC's domination of this week's AP top 25, he initially started down the Humble Expressway. . .

"It's just wonderful, I love it," said Bielema, whose Razorbacks are ranked No. 18. "It's a major statement to obviously not only everybody here, but to the nation. I mean those things don't just happen."

And then he veered off the first exit he could find to run over the Buckeyes.

"I'm sitting there the other day watching the Monday night (Ohio State) game," he said. "I spent a lot of time in that other conference. Ohio State's ranked No. 1 and they have one game remaining on their schedule that has anybody ranked right now, Michigan State, and I look at it and we're going to play eight straight opponents that are ranked.

"It just goes to show that Jeff Long (Arkansas' athletic director who's also the chairman of the College Football Playoff selection committee) and his committee have a huge task in front of them.

"It's truly unprecedented what every team in this league (the SEC) can bring. If anybody tries to argue that, they're completely nonsense. It's a whole other level when it comes to competitive nature and balance."

I saw those comments, but forgot about them when I saw the score crawl across the ticker. he sucks, and his implication the SEC earned those rankings is complete BS.

That guy has always had a big mouth. So does his wife, BTW... remember this? She tweeted that when Arkansas was 3-0, and they finished 0-9. I'm not kidding. They lost every. single. game. after she tweeted "karma" at UW fans... they went 3-9.

It wasn't that big of a shock to see UT beat them. They usually play ranked out of conference games tough. They have had some big wins for a MAC school.

As for BB, total Dbag. I was half expecting to see him fired on Monday. He could only wish to be in OSU spot.

I read that even his wife busted him for talking smack after losing to the Rockets. That's the greatest bit of Karma we've seen recently. Damn shame that Jacksonville State couldn't hang on against Auburn. Took them to OT, however. That's probably good enough. Tigers dropped a bunch of spots.

When karma hits O$U I will finally believe in it because Rat Tre$$le was one dirty coach... it's good that BB was hit with it but come on Arkansas fans probably don't deserve it.

Last edited:
When karma hits O$U I will finally believe in it because Rat Tre$$le was one dirty coach... it's good that BB was hit with it but come on Arkansas fans probably don't deserve it.

Karma did hit OSU. Did you forget? Vacated season, three years probation, one year bowl ban, ineligible to play in B1G championship game, three year scholarship reduction. Buckeyes were penalized, served their time and have turned the page. Maybe you should do the same.

Karma did hit OSU. Did you forget? Vacated season, three years probation, one year bowl ban, ineligible to play in B1G championship game, three year scholarship reduction. Buckeyes were penalized, served their time and have turned the page. Maybe you should do the same.

Bob has blinders on when it comes to O$U

Keep holding on to the past. Most UM fans are good at that.

You guys have great blinders on lol... Take a look at what Rat Tre$$el did at Youngstown st. He cheated there and he cheated at O$U.. For sure Clarett was legal.. wink wink.. You betcha.. And give me a break on the penalties.. other programs get hammered but good old buy Network in O$U gets a slap on the wrist from Mark Emmert because of his ties to the former O$U president Gordon Gee. Rat T skated at Youngstown state and he skated off the hook at O$U.. Facts are facts ...

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm falling for this again.

1 year post season ban
3 year probation
9 scholarships over three years
5 year show cause for Tressel

All of the players were released from the team or served suspensions

I'm not sure how that's not what was deserved. All this for guys selling their own property, working less hours but getting paid, attending a charity event. Around $15,000 was estimated in the whole scandal.

So your logic seems to be that you hate OSU so the penalty wasn't fair. Yet looking back at other schools that had >$100,000 in improper benefits, institutions not being forthright with info, or a child abuse case.

Keep the hate alive. The NCAA found additional info when they looked into the issues but never found all the things you "know" were wrong.

Wasn't UM on probation around the se time too? To many practice hours I believe. Hmmm tats, and some pocket money or extra time with coaches, which would help you win games. Never mind obviously since um sucked at that time the tats are what made OSU so good.

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm falling for this again.

1 year post season ban
3 year probation
9 scholarships over three years
5 year show cause for Tressel

All of the players were released from the team or served suspensions

I'm not sure how that's not what was deserved. All this for guys selling their own property, working less hours but getting paid, attending a charity event. Around $15,000 was estimated in the whole scandal.

So your logic seems to be that you hate OSU so the penalty wasn't fair. Yet looking back at other schools that had >$100,000 in improper benefits, institutions not being forthright with info, or a child abuse case.

Keep the hate alive. The NCAA found additional info when they looked into the issues but never found all the things you "know" were wrong.

Wasn't UM on probation around the se time too? To many practice hours I believe. Hmmm tats, and some pocket money or extra time with coaches, which would help you win games. Never mind obviously since um sucked at that time the tats are what made OSU so good.

Yeah, but one of your players tweeted that stuff had been going on for a decade, and then there's the issue of Maurice Clarett reporting stuff that was stolen...but then he never had it. Nothing was found and that championship wasn't vacated...but do you really believe Clarett was genuinely eligible or they just never found anything? I don't remember the details, but wasn't it fairly clear he had impermissible benefits, and then nothing happened about it?

You compare that to stretchgate? Rodriguez screwed up what coach was at what practice at what time. Is there some Ohio State version of that story that's more sinister than it being an admin mistake?

From Wikipedia:

Athletic Director Andy Geiger stated that Clarett also took in special benefits totaling approximately $29,000, and repeatedly misled investigators.

So what happened to OSU? Anything? But we throw around a towel and get probation and this guy thinks it's the same thing.

Karma did hit OSU. Did you forget? Vacated season, three years probation, one year bowl ban, ineligible to play in B1G championship game, three year scholarship reduction. Buckeyes were penalized, served their time...

That's not what Karma is. That's just getting caught.

Karma is when the perpetrator of something dastardly appears to have gotten away with it, then BAM! The Universe strikes them with a seemingly unrelated punitive event.

Obviously we cannot know whether Karma exists or not.

From Wikipedia:

So what happened to OSU? Anything? But we throw around a towel and get probation and this guy thinks it's the same thing.

MC was suspended and removed from the team. Not really sure how nothing happened. I'm still confused how an NCAA investigation was held and found 14 violations but none were worth sanctions yet he is the guy UM fans always scream about. So is there something UM fans know or is it speculation? Usually where there is smoke there is fire, but that only seems to be the case for OSU around here not UM.

Your buddy bob blames Tressel for everything. Also keeps talking about the light sentence. The sentence from '10 was as severe as anyone gets for those violations.

As for the extra practice its always shrugged off by um fans as not a big deal. If OSU was doing that you would be bitching about it and calling them cheaters. Yet getting extra time to practice (because of stretching not being timed) or be around coaches in the off season is an advantage. Enough for probation to be given to UM by the NCAA and loss of practice time. If that happened at OSU fans from your side would argue that is the reason OSU won games and beat um. Do you disagree?

Karma is when the perpetrator of something dastardly appears to have gotten away with it, then BAM! The Universe strikes them with a seemingly unrelated punitive event.

It exists you just don't always get to see the end results

I read a short story thing about a world where there was strict luck cancelling (I shouldn't call it karma, because it's not karma if it's not based on your actions. This was just good luck being followed by an equal amount of bad luck and vice-versa.) Someone bought a lottery ticket trying to burn up some bad luck and won the biggest jackpot ever. Became something of a celebrity as people waited for the other shoe to drop, but it never did. People were afraid to be around him. Got distant. Eventually he was totally isolated.

I think - given that Jim Tressel is obviously an unaccomplished, worthless human being aside from his scandal-plagued tenures at Youngstown St. & OSU, (i.e. when he isn't able to cheat his way to success) - that karma would be some result that puts you clowns close to what could be expected in terms of annual results from 2001-2010, i.e. not merely a one year ban. That was 10 seasons of cheating your asses off and getting away with it for almost all that time.

You have 9 more seasons of paying the piper, is what I'm saying.

And if that's not quite going back to Cooper levels of frustration against Michigan, at least a 0.500 record.

...given that Jim Tressel is obviously an unaccomplished, worthless human being aside from his scandal-plagued tenures at Youngstown St. & OSU, (i.e. when he isn't able to cheat his way to success) ...

I bolded this because I feel strongly about it. You can call me biased, but what has that doofus ever done that would provide any objective evidence to refute it?

He's a nobody who cheated his way to success, and after getting caught - in the most idiotic way possible, despite all the fall guys around him - has relied on Ohio's equivalent to the good-ole'-boy network to avoid having to declare Chapter 7, and live on the streets.

MC was suspended and removed from the team. Not really sure how nothing happened. I'm still confused how an NCAA investigation was held and found 14 violations but none were worth sanctions yet he is the guy UM fans always scream about. So is there something UM fans know or is it speculation? Usually where there is smoke there is fire, but that only seems to be the case for OSU around here not UM.

Your buddy bob blames Tressel for everything. Also keeps talking about the light sentence. The sentence from '10 was as severe as anyone gets for those violations.

As for the extra practice its always shrugged off by um fans as not a big deal. If OSU was doing that you would be bitching about it and calling them cheaters. Yet getting extra time to practice (because of stretching not being timed) or be around coaches in the off season is an advantage. Enough for probation to be given to UM by the NCAA and loss of practice time. If that happened at OSU fans from your side would argue that is the reason OSU won games and beat um. Do you disagree?

Yeah I disagree. It wasn't extra practice. It was the wrong coaches being present during stretches. Would we be more critical/skeptical if the bias was flipped? Of course, but I can't see any reasonable person pointing at OSU's stretching as the reason they won anything.

Meanwhile, Clarett plays a huge role on a national championship winning team while receiving impermissible benefits and lying to investigators (according to your own AD) and nothing happens to OSU. Compare to USC. I'm not screaming about this. I just think the mental gymnastics you must go through to hold your opinions are extreme.

I forgot most of the details to this stuff, but googling it now...wow. OSU lives in a different world. The world UNC got booted from after the first round of NCAA investigations looked at their academic scandal and said "nothing to see here". The NCAA is not consistent at all.

Back