Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

College Playoff idea

tycobb420

I think they need to do everything possible to take the human element (and computer element) out of the national championship. Now, totally removing this is impossible. But, here is my idea...

The 5 big conference title game champions (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC) get auto bids. Then, there are 3 wildcards based on the poll averages. The top 3 remaining teams based on the average of polls get the last three spots. Rankings (#1-8) would be determined by average of the polls.

I think they need to do everything possible to take the human element (and computer element) out of the national championship. Now, totally removing this is impossible. But, here is my idea...

The 5 big conference title game champions (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC) get auto bids. Then, there are 3 wildcards based on the poll averages. The top 3 remaining teams based on the average of polls get the last three spots. Rankings (#1-8) would be determined by average of the polls.

why should a conference champion get an auto bid? Would TCU and Baylor both get a bid if they are co champs?

Nothing wrong with the 4 team playoff.

The idea is to get the computers and the people out of the process. This would settle things on the field. The 4 team playoff is probably not going to last and they will expand to 8 teams eventually. This is a way to solve who gets in.

They would have to use head-to-head in that case. If the two teams did not play each other, as in the TCU-Baylor case, then they would either have to have the two do a play-in, or yeah put the two of them in.

The idea is to get the computers and the people out of the process. This would settle things on the field. The 4 team playoff is probably not going to last and they will expand to 8 teams eventually. This is a way to solve who gets in.

They would have to use head-to-head in that case. If the two teams did not play each other, as in the TCU-Baylor case, then they would either have to have the two do a play-in, or yeah put the two of them in.

I just think the more teams you let in the less important the regular season becomes. It is my opinion that college football is so great BECAUSE the regular season is so important.

TCU & Baylor did play last year. Baylor won.

I would love to see the playoff expand. 8 teams v. Power 5 and 3 at large. Keep the committee they are not bias to region or ticket sales.

Last edited:
TCU & Baylor did play last year. Baylor won.

I would love to see the playoff expand. 8 teams v. Power 5 and 3 at large. Keep the committee they are not bias to region or ticket sales.

Then Baylor would get the bid. TCU could still make it as an at-large.

I just think the more teams you let in the less important the regular season becomes. It is my opinion that college football is so great BECAUSE the regular season is so important.

I hear you, but the all mighty dollar rules...which means we are probably headed to an 8-team playoff sometime down the line.

Back