Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Three 5-7 teams make Bowl Games

biggunsbob

Three 5-7 teams reach bowl games; Illinois, Rice out of contention.

A record three teams with 5-7 records -- Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State -- will earn bowl berths because there were not enough bowl-eligible teams with six victories.

There were only 77 bowl-eligible teams to fill 80 bowl berths, allowing the 5-7 teams to fill the remaining spots. Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State were selected because they had the highest APR (Academic Progress Rate) scores of the teams with five wins.

In the last 45 years, there had been only four teams with losing records to play in bowls: Fresno State in 2014, Georgia Tech in 2012, UCLA in 2011 and North Texas in 2011.

Going into the season's final week, Kansas State, Georgia State and South Alabama could have picked up their sixth wins to become bowl eligible. With a 976 APR, Kansas State was guaranteed a berth regardless of the outcome against West Virginia due to the lack of six-win teams. Kansas State (which pulled out a 24-23 victory over West Virginia) and Georgia State both won, which eliminated 5-7 teams Illinois and Rice from bowl contention. South Alabama lost to Appalachian State 34-27, giving the final two berths to Minnesota and San Jose State, who each had a 975 APR.

Georgia State's 34-7 upset of Georgia Southern gave the Sun Belt four bowl-eligible teams.

Arkansas State will go to the New Orleans Bowl, Georgia Southern to the GoDaddy Bowl, Appalachian State to the Camellia Bowl and Georgia State to the Cure Bowl, a source said.

The official bowl pairings will be announced Sunday.

Too many freakin' bowls. Give bowl money to a 5-7 or even a 6-6 team is just dumb.

I agree it is just not a good idea.. Heck give a good DII school like Ferris St the payout LOL..

Last edited:
Too many freakin' bowls. Give bowl money to a 5-7 or even a 6-6 team is just dumb.

Teams in the lower bowls don't make any money...they actually lose money. The reason they go is the free advertising, a reward for the players and probably most importantly they get extra practice time after the regular season is over. I like the idea that the teams with better academic records get to go.

Teams in the lower bowls don't make any money...they actually lose money. The reason they go is the free advertising, a reward for the players and probably most importantly they get extra practice time after the regular season is over. I like the idea that the teams with better academic records get to go.

Oh I agree with how they select them .. no problem there. I am sure the teams like it as they get the extra practice time. I heard the Nebraska coaches will not receive the bonus for making the bowl as was in their contract. It's just. 5-7 teams look odd in a bowl game. :/

Oh I agree with how they select them .. no problem there. I am sure the teams like it as they get the extra practice time. I heard the Nebraska coaches will not receive the bonus for making the bowl as was in their contract. It's just. 5-7 teams look odd in a bowl game. :/

that's kind of crappy...unless their contracts had a clause about winning 6 games.

that's kind of crappy...unless their contracts had a clause about winning 6 games.

Yeah I thought so too.. Not sure about the whole story just caught it in passing in BTN and heard the last part about coaches not getting their bonus.

You know what they should do is have UCF play Kansas in the toilet bowl to finally decide who the worst team of all time is.

Back