Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Overrated movies

SpartyNash

I'm not sure if there's a thread for this or not. I just watched The Graduate because I've heard it's an all time great movie. maybe I'm nuts because I did not really care for it, the ending was well done but it was just such a slow paced and dry movie I thought until the last 15 minutes.

Any critically acclaimed movies that you just flat out didn't get the hype about? For me it was this movie, and I also did not care for Deliverance.

American Sniper, Slumdog Millionaire, and Million Dollar Baby were the first 3 to come to mind. Wouldn't give any of them a second watch.

I liked The Graduate, but I'm generally a sucker for Hoffman so I might be biased. Deliverance was a snoozer for me.

Last edited:
I grew up on older movies, 30's-40's-50's, but Casablanca I was underwhelmed. And I'm a fan of Bogart movies.

I also liked the Graduate.

American Beauty- Just did not like it. I understand why people do, but not for me.
Pulp Fiction- Saw it late (couple years ago). Did not live up to the hype for me.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Way too emo for me.

American Beauty- Just did not like it. I understand why people do, but not for me.
Pulp Fiction- Saw it late (couple years ago). Did not live up to the hype for me.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Way too emo for me.

I would extend that to just about any Tarantino movie.

When I watched The Blair Witch Project I couldn't see what the whole build up was about.

I have no idea why The Interview got so much pre-debut publicity for a movie that sucked as much as any typical Seth Rogen movie.

Pulp Fiction was a disgrace of a movie. Never watch American Beauty. Never even heard of, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And Seth Rogen might be the worse actor on the planet. Is Pauly Shore still on the planet?

Any Kevin Smith movie. Way overrated. Except Dogma. I love that movie.

I liked pulp fiction and think Quentin is a fun director. Was disappointed in all the star wars movies after empire still went but wanted more. Hopefully the new one will be good.
Hated gone with the wind. Casablanca is overrated. Never watched the graduate looks boring. Positive I am missing a bunch . I laughed all the way through Blair witch project.

Last edited:
Blues Brothers, what he heck? Great 70's movie.

Matrix was okay, the first one. Progressively getting worse. The 3rd one just plain sucked.

Gravity, Clooney and Bullock. Enough said, 2 overrated actor's. Though I did like Bullock in 'The Net."

Also, any movie with Adam Sandler. Outside two of the movies he did with Barrymore, Wedding Singer and 50 first Dates.

Also, any movie with Adam Sandler. Outside two of the movies he did with Barrymore, Wedding Singer and 50 first Dates.

his movies are what they are. I liked Happy Gilmore, the Waterboy, Big Daddy. Not much content but some pretty good laughs.

his movies are what they are.

I agree, stupid humor. And stupid humor is okay now and then but most of his stuff is the same stupid humor. At least Jim Carey tried to do different movies and even succeeded. Do something different, Adam.

I agree, stupid humor. And stupid humor is okay now and then but most of his stuff is the same stupid humor. At least Jim Carey tried to do different movies and even succeeded. Do something different, Adam.

true...but it certainly works for him. He is worth $300M and his movies have taken in $4 billion. He is doing something right!

none taken...it takes a lot more than that to offend me!

Like what? Lol.

Not like I haven't watched movies myself and wondered why in the heck would I watch that. Like 1987, The Barbarians. I actually enjoyed that when I watched it back then.

Inception, any James Bond movie, The Dark Knight.

Heath Ledger was fun to watch as the Joker, but I still prefer Batman Begins to any of the others in that trilogy. Much more interesting story to me to see the origin told. I know I'm in a very tiny minority with that opinion though.

Also Frozen is not in the same league as Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King in my opinion. But that's probably because I'm a late 80's early 90s kid :)

Back