Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Top Movies: Tickets Sold

zyxt9

I really dislike the hype over how much money a movie makes. "Fastest to $100 million!" is nothing but BS hype when ticket prices are so much higher today than in the past. I much prefer looking at how many tickets were sold because that provides a more realistic idea of how many people went to see it, though obviously there are many who will see a movie more than one time.

For those interested:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?sort=adjustedgross&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Gone With The Wind is the only one to reach the 200M threshold according to this site. Pretty damn impressive.

Outside of Star Wars films I dont have a single film I like in the Top 15.

In total in that top 100 list, I would pay to see about 10 of them. And about 80 of them I wouldn't ever want to see.

In total in that top 100 list, I would pay to see about 10 of them. And about 80 of them I wouldn't ever want to see.

No Jaws?

I just read that Avatar made a billion in 13 days and that the New Star Wars will top a billion by the end of day Sunday in 12 .Man how is that possible?

I just read that Avatar made a billion in 13 days and that the New Star Wars will top a billion by the end of day Sunday in 12 .Man how is that possible?

Avatar only made $77 million in it's first weekend. The reason it ended up grossing so much was because it was released during a period where there were no other blockbusters to compete so it stayed in theaters at #1 for a long time.

Benhur? Are you crazy.

Avatar only made $77 million in it's first weekend. The reason it ended up grossing so much was because it was released during a period where there were no other blockbusters to compete so it stayed in theaters at #1 for a long time.

yeah. timing explains a lot; it's why some of these movies are on the list and others are not.

I'm wondering if that's why Disney decided to open The Force Awakens in December, rather than in May like all the other 6 films of the franchise.

There is currently no other action/fantasy film to compete with it, unless you count Point Break, and I'm not sure anyone will.

I'm wondering if that's why Disney decided to open The Force Awakens in December, rather than in May like all the other 6 films of the franchise.

There is currently no other action/fantasy film to compete with it, unless you count Point Break, and I'm not sure anyone will.

Good point. Of course Disney didn't own them the previous 6 movies. So to them, the normal May date probably meant nothing.

Last edited:
Well the late May openings were so that the movie could run all summer long, which is when most big blockbuster movies are released (summer season) and Star Wars 8 and 9 are scheduled to be released in May 2017, and May 2019.

Star Wars 7 was also probably released in December as not to conflict with Disney's other cash-cow opening in May, Marvel Studio's: Captain America Civil War.

Didn't realize they had dates for the next 2 movies already.

I remember an article, right after the first came out, saying there'd be 9 of them. Just didn't realize it'd take 40+ years.

Didn't realize they had dates for the next 2 movies already.

I remember an article, right after the first came out, saying there'd be 9 of them. Just didn't realize it'd take 40+ years.

9 chronological films, but also 3 sort of stand alone prequels as well. One called Rogue One, about a special forces unit that steals the plans to the death star Luke blew up in IV, one about a young Han Solo, and one about Boba Fett.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

It's exactly why they did it. Gone are the days when blockbusters were only released in the summer.

Back