Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Big Ten in Bowl games

biggunsbob

Duke 44 Indiana 41.....Final ot. (Tying FG looked good to me).
Nebraska 37 UCLA 29..Final.
Minnesota 21 CMU 14 Final. (First bowl win since 2004).
Wisconsin 23 USC 21 Final.
Alabama 38 MSU 0 Final.
Tennessee 45 Northwestern 6 Final.
Michigan 41 Florida 7 Final.
O$U 44 Norte Dame 28 Final.
Stanford 45 Iowa 16 Final.
Georgia 24 Psu 17 Final.
5-5 finish ....

All Three 5-7 teams won their bowl games.. (Gophers, Nebraska, and san jose st.).

Last edited:
Glad Minny won but my gosh I cant remember them ever being better than middle of the pack once in either sport in 25 years that ive been paying attention. Middle of the pack is a good year for them.Most analysts picking Stanford and im really not sure why. Id think iowa would be slightly favored. Too bad IU didnt sneak that one out yesterday.

Glad Minny won but my gosh I cant remember them ever being better than middle of the pack once in either sport in 25 years that ive been paying attention. Middle of the pack is a good year for them.Most analysts picking Stanford and im really not sure why. Id think iowa would be slightly favored. Too bad IU didnt sneak that one out yesterday.

You don't remember the Bobby Jackson years? Wow...they were good. I've never really cared for their team/school, but Bobby Jackson is one of my favorite CBB players of all time.

I had felt Nebraska and Minnesota were a little better than their records (though beating CMU by 7 isn't terribly impressive). Nebraska had some tough luck with close losses, and Minnesota had played TCU and Iowa tough and of course had the loss to UM. Both at least played some teams OOC unlike most middling SEC teams.

Quite a few tough games the rest of the way for the conference. You've got 3 matchups against Top Ten teams (ND, Stanford, Bama), 1 game that is a tossup (UM-Florida), 1 game where the Big Ten team will be a significant underdog (PSU-Georgia) and 2 games where the Big Ten team might have the better record, but the opponent is dangerous and talented (UW-USC, NW-Tennessee).

A winning record there would seem nearly impossible and the possibility of a poor record is pretty good, and then there'll be some big sweeping narrative again about the Big Ten performance in bowls (which always seems to be a thing whenever it happens, but tends to get ignored for some reason when it happens to other conferences).

Last edited:
I had felt Nebraska and Minnesota were a little better than their records (though beating CMU by 7 isn't terribly impressive). Nebraska had some tough luck with close losses, and Minnesota had played TCU and Iowa tough and of course had the loss to UM. Both at least played some teams OOC unlike most middling SEC teams.

Quite a few tough games the rest of the way for the conference. You've got 3 matchups against Top Ten teams (ND, Stanford, Bama), 1 game that is a tossup (UM-Florida), 1 game where the Big Ten team will be a significant underdog (PSU-Georgia) and 2 games where the Big Ten team might have the better record, but the opponent is dangerous and talented (UW-USC, NW-Tennessee).

A winning record there would seem nearly impossible and the possibility of a poor record is pretty good, and then there'll be some big sweeping narrative again about the Big Ten performance in bowls (which always seems to be a thing whenever it happens, but tends to get ignored for some reason when it happens to other conferences).

our conf is 2-1 now, w 7 games to go. only need to win 4 more; win 3 and we break even.

I think last year, Ohio St. did a lot to shut the critics up. as long as we don't go 1-6 or 0-7 over the next couple weeks, I think we can chill out about having a proverbial chip on our shoulder.

our conf is 2-1 now, w 7 games to go. only need to win 4 more; win 3 and we break even.

I think last year, Ohio St. did a lot to shut the critics up. as long as we don't go 1-6 or 0-7 over the next couple weeks, I think we can chill out about having a proverbial chip on our shoulder.

A lot of the bowl games in addition to the matchups themselves boil down to which team has less turmoil and is more excited to be there. And in that regard there are some things that don't line up very well. But we'll see.

MSU-Bama - I think Bama the past 2 years they sleep-walked through their bowl game vs OU 2 years ago having never really recovered from the Kick 6. Last year vs OSU, the game wasn't a fluke and OSU was better, but I also think Bama was overconfident thinking it would be another SEC champ beats-down Big Ten champ scenario. I think neither factor will be in play this year.

Iowa-Stanford - Iowa should be plenty up for this game even after losing late to MSU. It's the freaking Rose Bowl. Stanford looking to atone for losing in Pasadena 2 years ago. This should be a good game, but Iowa lacks a game-breaker like Christian McCaffrey.

UM - Fla - Give the edge to UM here. Florida limped to the finish line, especially offensively, and Harbaugh should have UM ready. They will need to be against the speed the Florida defense will bring.

OSU-Notre Dame. Questionable how motivated OSU will be after falling short of the Big Ten championship game and numerous players with NFL Draft decisions to make. Notre Dame even with quite a few injuries is pretty good.

Tennessee - NW. NW is not as good as their record. Tennessee is better than their record with losses to OU and Florida (back when Florida had their QB) where they gave the games away late after leading most of the way, and they hung with Alabama the entire way. UT is also a fairly young team that could be looking to springboard to bigger things next year.

UW - USC. Tough one to call here. USC is talented, but very unpredictable. UW struggled, especially offensively, in all the games against their best opponents. Another tossup kind of game.

Ga - PSU. Georgia is in a bit of turmoil with their coaching change. PSU is flat-out not good and I'm not sure they can take advantage.

Last edited:
Do Big Ten teams always seem to get screwed in bowl games.. No way was Wisconsin QB out of bounds on what would have been a TD run.. Just a freaking joke. Ref totally caved to the USC sideline instead of doing his job...Always seems to happen especially on the west coast.wow what a awful spot Wisconsin got..Ball was much closer to the first down then they gave them..Holy crap Major holding and ref refuses to call it..Total Bs.

Screw you refs!!!! Big ten wins..

Picture of the missed called.. Glad it didn't cost them..

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/12/31/10692928/wisconsin-go-ahead-td-called-back-qb-hurt-on-same-drive

Last edited:
Turned the game off at halftime as it was on too darn late so I didn't see some of the bad calls. Good win for the Big Ten, though.

I think the ND/OSU & PaS/UGA games will be determined by whichever team in each matchup spent the last 3weeks fucking around, drinking and smoking pot less. I'm actually leaning toward ND for that reason, though I want Ohio St to win.

I'd like State to win as well, but am least confident for the Big Ten in that matchup. I don't agree with the thinking that state "matches up best" against Bama. I think at a time like this you just want to avoid the best overall team & in my opinion that's the Saban-coached one. I would rather play Clemson or Oklahoma.

I think the ND/OSU & PaS/UGA games will be determined by whichever team in each matchup spent the last 3weeks fucking around, drinking and smoking pot less. I'm actually leaning toward ND for that reason, though I want Ohio St to win.

I'd like State to win as well, but am least confident for the Big Ten in that matchup. I don't agree with the thinking that state "matches up best" against Bama. I think at a time like this you just want to avoid the best overall team & in my opinion that's the Saban-coached one. I would rather play Clemson or Oklahoma.

OSU plays just as well high as sober. They don't fold to lesser opponents because of chronic and beer pong. OSU is the more talented team but I'm worried that they don't have the fire. If the team that showed up against MSU is there it will be a route in favor of ND, if its the team that beat UM then I don't think ND has a chance.

I hope MSU plays well against Bama. I agree Bama is the favorite to win it all but MD has that way of getting his team to outplay their opponents. Would love to see MSU keep the title in the B1G. I would love to see us start a streak like the SEC had over the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a bummer MSU got curb stomped by Bama but it's not the the first time Bama has done that to a team.

Iowa isn't built to come from behind. When that first pass went 80 yds I thought it was over.

NW is in the same boat as Iowa, sound team but no real game changer to get them back in the game.

I would like to see clemson win but I don't think it's going to happen, Bama is just so good on D. Unless they have an off game like they did v. Ole Miss then it will be a blow out.

Sadly 1-3 verses the sec.

But it's the one win that matters. I never really cared about how the Big10 did overall in the bowl games. I don't root for the those teams during the season why would I now.

The Iowa game was over within 5 minutes, hopefully you didn't have to go to the bathroom around kickoff, you missed the game being decided.

Yeah it's a bummer MSU got curb stomped by Bama but it's not the the first time Bama has done that to a team.

Iowa isn't built to come from behind. When that first pass went 80 yds I thought it was over.

NW is in the same boat as Iowa, sound team but no real game changer to get them back in the game.

I would like to see clemson win but I don't think it's going to happen, Bama is just so good on D. Unless they have an off game like they did v. Ole Miss then it will be a blow out.

It might have something to do with the layoff, given 3-4 weeks layoff the better team is more likely to win.

Bama has a way of making the second best team in the country look like dog shit given the extra prep time, obviously it didn't work for them last year, Saban said they didn't take OSU seriously and were overly concerned with their draft stock pre-game.

they've played in the title game 3 times in the BCS era

2009 beat Texas 37-21
2012 beat LSU 21-0 (LSU beat them earlier that year, bama held LSU to 94 total yards in this game)
2012 beat ND 42-14

As a State fan, I just tip my hat, they were better. There were a few plays that could have helped us secure a moral victory but our best isn't even close to their best.

Bama has a way of making the second best team in the country look like dog shit...

well, this year they got to play what was probably the 10th or 11th best team in the country, and 3rd best in the Big Ten, and make them look like dog shit, but I otherwise agree with you.

It might have something to do with the layoff, given 3-4 weeks layoff the better team is more likely to win.

Bama has a way of making the second best team in the country look like dog shit given the extra prep time, obviously it didn't work for them last year, Saban said they didn't take OSU seriously and were overly concerned with their draft stock pre-game.

they've played in the title game 3 times in the BCS era

2009 beat Texas 37-21
2012 beat LSU 21-0 (LSU beat them earlier that year, bama held LSU to 94 total yards in this game)
2012 beat ND 42-14

As a State fan, I just tip my hat, they were better. There were a few plays that could have helped us secure a moral victory but our best isn't even close to their best.

The layoff should have helped MSU though, lots of injuries and time to refocus after some tough games (2 of 3) to end the year. I will admit that Bama would have beat any team in the country that night, they were playing with their hair on fire. The D is great and their O has playmakers. MSU D got tired in the second half and the flood gates opened, this happens in most games where one team plays at their best and the other team is playing below their best. No shame in getting rocked. OSU had this happen to them vs Florida and got back to the championship vs LSU the next year.

Like I said they have done this before. Texas scored those points after the game was in hand. Maybe if Colt McCoy doesn't get hurt its a closer game, they still lose though.

well, this year they got to play what was probably the 10th or 11th best team in the country, and 3rd best in the Big Ten, and make them look like dog shit, but I otherwise agree with you.

That's a little harsh, they won the games they needed to win to get into the playoff.
Bama would have embarrassed every team in the country that night.

MSU overachieved to get to the playoff, and deserved it's place there based on it's resume, but ran into a much better team that plays a similar style but does it much better. OSU probably does give Bama/Clemson a much better game, but too bad for them that they didn't take care of business before that.

But I don't get the headlines in various places I've seen saying how it's a crushing blow for the Big Ten. These type of generalizations always seem to occur when a Big Ten team suffers a bad loss as a way to discredit future Big Ten teams. You've heard it before. Oh <insert random Big Ten team here> is no good, remember what Ohio State did last year in their bowl game? It would be like saying Clemson shouldn't be in the playoff this year because FSU lost 59-20 last year.

Back