Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2016 Academy Awards

tinselwolverine

So Leo finally wins for the first time.

Sly Stallone, with all his jillions of dollars he made after launching the Rocky franchise, nevertheless does not come up with Oscar gold - again.

Mad Max rakes in a lot of technical cinematographic awards; Spotlight steals the show.

Child star Brie Larson grows up to snare the Best Actress gold.

Spotlight with its magnificent cast shows huge.

The Jimmy Kimmel post - Oscar show was funny as hell.

Other thoughts to add?

I cannot believe that I'm the only dude on this board who sits with his wife in the comfort of his own home and watches the Academy Awards live on television EVERY YEAR.

I cannot believe that I'm the only dude on this board who sits with his wife in the comfort of his own home and watches the Academy Awards live on television EVERY YEAR.

well, as evidenced by your screen name, you're the only Michigan Man here who fell for the glitz, the glamor, and the bright lights of Hollywood.

movies are not as big a deal to everybody else who posts here. we like movies, sure, and some of us watch better movies than others but we're not moving to LA or anything.

anyways, we spent all weekend moving, and our cable isn't hooked up yet.

So Leo finally wins for the first time.

Sly Stallone, with all his jillions of dollars he made after launching the Rocky franchise, nevertheless does not come up with Oscar gold - again.

Mad Max rakes in a lot of technical cinematographic awards; Spotlight steals the show.

Child star Brie Larson grows up to snare the Best Actress gold.

Spotlight with its magnificent cast shows huge.

The Jimmy Kimmel post - Oscar show was funny as hell.

Other thoughts to add?

I have never watched the Academy Awards. I rarely go to the movies but will watch them at home. This weekend we watched that movie with Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts. It was OK...barely worth the $6 it cost to rent.

I have never watched the Academy Awards. I rarely go to the movies but will watch them at home. This weekend we watched that movie with Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts. It was OK...barely worth the $6 it cost to rent.

you pay $6 to rent a movie? unlimited movies are $7.99/month on netflix...

I just read that -feeling guilty because they are a bunch of racist fucks - Hollywood invited Public Enemy to close the show with "Fight the Power."

well, okay, but was that NOT a perfect attempt to do "Burn, Hollywood, Burn"???

wtf? that whole song is about systemic racism in Hollywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
you pay $6 to rent a movie? unlimited movies are $7.99/month on netflix...

we have Netflix too, but new release movies are never on it. Netflix is good for old movies and series binge watching. Other than that....it sucks.

we have Netflix too, but new release movies are never on it. Netflix is good for old movies and series binge watching. Other than that....it sucks.

ha. yeah. i have a subscription to the physical disks as well, since a lot of movies aren't on their digital service.

I've been a customer since 2007 and have watched hundreds of movies through them I'd never see without it, but I've slowed down lately. I've seen all the classics... not much new stuff I want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since THIS MOVIE was a nominated for numerous categories, I stopped watching or caring about the Oscars.

Ever since THIS MOVIE was a nominated for numerous categories, I stopped watching or caring about the Oscars.

*curiously clicks link*

Ah, whoa... 1970.... that is some vintage Oscar hate.

I've never seen Airport but Airplane! was a spoof of it right?

my favorite Oscar-related stories are when someone boycotts or something stupid happens. I liked how George C. Scott just skipped the whole thing one of the years he won, because he said he was watching a hockey game.

*curiously clicks link*

Ah, whoa... 1970.... that is some vintage Oscar hate.

I've never seen Airport but Airplane! was a spoof of it right?

my favorite Oscar-related stories are when someone boycotts or something stupid happens. I liked how George C. Scott just skipped the whole thing one of the years he won, because he said he was watching a hockey game.

It's actually hard to tell the difference as to which is satire and which is serious. It was an age of boycotts. Marlon Brando refused his award as well.

Link, go to 1:00

Last edited:
The reason Will Smith didn't get nominated for Concussion is that nobody remembered seeing it.

The best videos aren't movies anymore anyway. Streaming has unlocked the age of the series. People love 20 hour shows in 1 or 2 hour blocks when they don't have to stretch them out over 3 months.

The binge watching series change everything. I just wish companies had the discipline to run the show and end it instead of letting them drag on until they sputter.

Believe it or not, I think House of Cards might do that this season. The original was 3 seasons long. That's how big a story they had. Now they're getting greedy and I suspect it will suffer.

Wow. Orange is the New Black has been renewed through a 7th season. Season 3 was already showing that they had exhausted the source material.

You know what was really weird about the ceremony last night? They completely ignored the passing of Abe Vagpda during the traditional "in memoriam" portion of the show.

All those years of Internet hoaxes and when he finally really croaks he ends up getting stiffed by the Academy.

You know what was really weird about the ceremony last night? They completely ignored the passing of Abe Vagpda during the traditional "in memoriam" portion of the show.

All those years of Internet hoaxes and when he finally really croaks he ends up getting stiffed by the Academy.

What the hell?

Back