Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Greenland sees record-smashing early ice Sheet Melt

Looks like people haven't been praying enough.

Time to pray harder.

Looks like people haven't been praying enough.

Time to pray harder.

yeah. when will these idiot scientists (and the STUPID liberals that follow them) wake up and realize all is determined by the Holy Father, and mankind can't possibly affect nature by its own actions? it says right there in the Bible God gave the earth to man to use for his own purposes, which can only be understood to mean "pump as many hydrocarbons out of the ground as you want, burn them all, and dump whatever shit you want to on the land, in the water and wherever. it'll all be good. trees will grow back, etc."

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are idiots. Climate change is proof that God is angry at man for SINNING! Decades of baby murdering and gay marrying has its consequences.

Belief-in-an-Angry-God.jpg

Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ?as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,? my point is, God?s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

that quote would be harmless coming from a crazy uncle, it sounds more like something you'd hear on AM radio but in reality it's from the chair of the senate committee on the environment

I know my view is different, but I'm just as baffled as to why there are people that don't think God lets bad things happen to good people. Some take that belief so far as to not believe in free will. I just don't get it. It's weird how being extremely atheist or extremely theist can lead a person to doubt free will.

I know my view is different, but I'm just as baffled as to why there are people that don't think God lets bad things happen to good people. Some take that belief so far as to not believe in free will. I just don't get it. It's weird how being extremely atheist or extremely theist can lead a person to doubt free will.

whoa there, hoss.

now how exactly do you figure an "extreme" atheist would doubt free will by virtue of his position on atheism? and what exactly is an extreme atheist?

whoa there, hoss.

now how exactly do you figure an "extreme" atheist would doubt free will by virtue of his position on atheism? and what exactly is an extreme atheist?

Fair question. I'm really talking about physical determinism when I say extreme atheist. People that hold a hard line on the idea that all that exists is what exists in the physical world. To me, they seem to be the most extreme atheists with the most strongly held existential beliefs.

Fair question. I'm really talking about physical determinism when I say extreme atheist. People that hold a hard line on the idea that all that exists is what exists in the physical world. To me, they seem to be the most extreme atheists with the most strongly held existential beliefs.

I hold such an opinion, but I believe we more or less have "free will" though we should probably clarify what exactly we mean by "free will"

I hold such an opinion, but I believe we more or less have "free will" though we should probably clarify what exactly we mean by "free will"

A good definition of free will is important.

I've read atheist descriptions of how free will can be compatible with a deterministic world, but those descriptions fall into two categories, descriptions I just don't understand or description that I deem to avoid the issue through semantics.

To me, free will means that when I decide to wiggle my finger, my decision is a causal driver to the action and not solely a reaction to the deterministic behavior of my physical brain where the perception of choice is just an emergent behavior. My choices originate with me, my sense of self, and I am a causal agent.

Other other terminology I've seen is hard vs soft determinism. Soft determinists believe in determinism for everything outside of mental processes and hard determinism extends determinism to include the mind (and is synonymous is physical or scientific determinism.)

A good definition of free will is important.

I've read atheist descriptions of how free will can be compatible with a deterministic world, but those descriptions fall into two categories, descriptions I just don't understand or description that I deem to avoid the issue through semantics.

To me, free will means that when I decide to wiggle my finger, my decision is a causal driver to the action and not solely a reaction to the deterministic behavior of my physical brain where the perception of choice is just an emergent behavior. My choices originate with me, my sense of self, and I am a causal agent.

Okay ..

Come to a fork in the road ...left or right?

Hard Determinist - left or right, you went the way you did because it was always going to be that way. It is what it is ...

Soft Determinist - even though you think you decided between right/left, it was already decided. I'm fine with things for the most part

Free Willist - I went left/right because I chose to and whatever happens, happens.

Okay ..

Come to a fork in the road ...left or right?

Hard Determinist - left or right, you went the way you did because it was always going to be that way. It is what it is ...

Soft Determinist - even though you think you decided between right/left, it was already decided. I'm fine with things for the most part

Free Willist - I went left/right because I chose to and whatever happens, happens.

Not fucking with you. That doesn't explain compatibility to me. I really don't understand. Not from lack of trying. I understand that it doesn't bother most people. I recognize when they take one incompatible side or the other or when they don't see the problem. I don't understand how anyone does see the problem and has a consistent set of beliefs that explains it away. (With one theistic exception not worth getting into.)

A team of Norwegian scientists led by Ola Johannessen has been using satellites to scientifically measure ice in Greenland - inland ice, not just coastal ice. They have found that the Greenland ice sheet has been growing in thickness by 6cm per year (net spatially averaged increase of +5.4cm after accounting for the 2cm per year of coastal melting) for 11 years. But if you only look at a small piece of the ice sheet, Global Warming!!! I have no idea if Johannessen is a religious man, but there is no mention of God or the Bible in the report on their research.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/O...growth_of_Greenland_Ice_Sheet_interior/(print)

Last edited:
A team of Norwegian scientists led by Ola Johannessen has been using satellites to scientifically measure ice in Greenland - inland ice, not just coastal ice. They have found that the Greenland ice sheet has been growing in thickness by 6cm per year (net spatially averaged increase of +5.4cm after accounting for the 2cm per year of coastal melting) for 11 years. But if you only look at a small piece of the ice sheet, Global Warming!!! I have no idea if Johannessen is a religious man, but there is no mention of God or the Bible in the report on their research.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/O...growth_of_Greenland_Ice_Sheet_interior/(print)

I eagerly await the follow up to that 13 year old data.

Last edited:
I eagerly await the follow up to that 13 year old data.

great drive by hit job - this proves global warming is real. the recent data will no doubt support the ACCC alarmists agenda which begs the question, why isn't it published and available? Also, did you look at the graph at the bottom of Bob's link? if so, did you notice that 2016 is a clear outlier, not even remotely indicative of a trend? Maybe it's not an anomaly like the 2008 hurricane season Al Gore said was just the beginning. Maybe this is actually the beginning of the catastrophe the scaremongers have been predicting. I wouldn't bet on it.

Weather it's 90 % of all scientist or 1% does it really matter. Common sense just tells you that whatever we can do to help the environment we should be doing. This is not a religious matter this is a people matter. We should try everything humanly possible to lower our greenhouse gas emissions. A cleaner planet is always a good thing..

Back