Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

UFO's

there are no such thing as UFOs; or at least they do not have an extraterrestrial origin.
Gulo already assured us aliens would never visit Earth. it is not reasonable as the potential rewards of interstellar exploration do not outweigh the cost of interstellar travel.

Gulo's position is reasonable, although given that he also believes an imaginary man in the sky talks to people via burning bushes, once flooded the Earth to kill almost all animals and the dinosaurs, and actively intervenes in terrestrial events, maybe take his opinion with a grain of salt.

there are no such thing as UFOs; or at least they do not have an extraterrestrial origin.
Gulo already assured us aliens would never visit Earth. it is not reasonable as the potential rewards of interstellar exploration do not outweigh the cost of interstellar travel.

Gulo's position is reasonable, although given that he also believes an imaginary man in the sky talks to people via burning bushes, once flooded the Earth to kill almost all animals and the dinosaurs, and actively intervenes in terrestrial events, maybe take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I know the Damn distances are immense but damn it all the warp drive is right around the corner damn it !!! Even if it's not :(

They won't come to take our resources.

They could want to meet us; see what kinds of life lives here. Our material resources are not valuable compared to what it takes to travel that far, but unique lifeforms might be worth it if you have the resources and ability.

They won't come to take our resources.

They could want to meet us; see what kinds of life lives here. Our material resources are not valuable compared to what it takes to travel that far, but unique lifeforms might be worth it if you have the resources and ability.

they might just come to start shit.

i think the big question is whether a species that gets to the level of interstellar travel has to overcome its innate natural tendency toward expansion and aggression. and not just that, but what's to say there won't be rogue elements of a species that seek to exploit Earth's resources because they are just dicks or because they "miscalculate"?

they might just come to start shit.

i think the big question is whether a species that gets to the level of interstellar travel has to overcome its innate natural tendency toward expansion and aggression. and not just that, but what's to say there won't be rogue elements of a species that seek to exploit Earth's resources because they are just dicks or because they "miscalculate"?

If they want to collect all the life in the universe for a zoo, that could be bad for us.

...or...what if aliens come here because they want to convert us to their religion?

I'm actually a little curious as to why we haven't been visited by traveling salesman-type races yet. Who would ignore a planet full of potentially new customers? Where are all the capitalist aliens?

I'm actually a little curious as to why we haven't been visited by traveling salesman-type races yet. Who would ignore a planet full of potentially new customers? Where are all the capitalist aliens?

there actually is no such thing as capitalism; it's a myth. all successful entrepreneurs initially relied on taxpayer-funded grants, subsidies, and infrastructure.

no alien governments have been willing to subsidize sales trips to Earth thus far

I just wonder where they all are ?

...674[/url]

see wikipedia entries for "Fermi Paradox" and "zoo hypothesis."

in regards to the latter, Trump being nominated set back the possibilty the aliens will contact us at least 50-100 years.

Same as the other resource argument. It's not worth traveling here for resources whether you trade for it or take it. The only thing worth coming here for is unique forms of life. Unless maybe they want to trade a warp drive for a pangolin and a sloth.

Or maybe a dog. Dog is the greatest animal. A few horses and some dogs for a warp drive. That might be the best deal Earth has to offer.

Same as the other resource argument. It's not worth traveling here for resources whether you trade for it or take it. The only thing worth coming here for is unique forms of life. Unless maybe they want to trade a warp drive for a pangolin and a sloth.

Or maybe a dog. Dog is the greatest animal. A few horses and some dogs for a warp drive. That might be the best deal Earth has to offer.

Maybe they're already here and the source of most infomercials. There's no way a human mind could've come up with the Snuggie.

Back