Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2 horses die at Preakness

????

Where is the link to this story and the Preakness doesn't start for about another four hours.

EDIT:

Here.

It's too bad about the horse that fell during the race.

The nine-year-old who dropped over dead after the race, it was probably just its time.

Last edited:
????

Where is the link to this story and the Preakness doesn't start for about another four hours.

EDIT:

Here.

It's too bad about the horse that fell during the race.

The nine-year-old who dropped over dead after the race, it was probably just its time.

My dad has a horse that is 27 years old. That's like saying after a 30 year old person died...it was just his time.

My dad has a horse that is 27 years old. That's like saying after a 30 year old person died...it was just his time.

Cool.

I guess I don't really know how long a horse supposed to live.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines about how long a dog might typically live.

Now that you mention it 30 it would be closer to what I probably would've guessed than nine or 10.

It's relatively unusual but sometimes 30-year-old people die of natural causes.

It would probably be related to some unusual medical condition rather than it being related to that person had just run a particular distance.

It sucks but what can you do? For those people I guess it's their time, as tragically short as it is.

I watch the three Triple Crown races a year, and that's pretty much the amount of time I spend paying attention to horseracing.

I think I read on the link that they're going to perform an autopsy on the horse and see if they can discover what happened.

I doubt your Dad's horse raced at the Preakness.

Last edited:
just saying that horses can easily live to be 30 years old.

Not if you're racing at the Preakness. The chance is much great that a horse who races will break his leg/die over one who doesn't. Yes they can live past 20 but they still have a greater chance of a grave injury.

Not if you're racing at the Preakness. The chance is much great that a horse who races will break his leg/die over one who doesn't. Yes they can live past 20 but they still have a greater chance of a grave injury.

exactly...thanks for making my point for me. Horse racing is stupid

exactly...thanks for making my point for me. Horse racing is stupid

I don't really watch it so I don't really have an opinion. Just like people who think hitting a small white ball into a small hole is stupid. But for ones who love Golf, like myself, I find it awesome.

Players get paralyzed in football yet we all love it.

I don't really watch it so I don't really have an opinion. Just like people who think hitting a small white ball into a small hole is stupid. But for ones who love Golf, like myself, I find it awesome.

Players get paralyzed in football yet we all love it.

people can choose if they want to play football or not.

people can choose if they want to play football or not.

So does that mean having a pet is stupid? They obviously can't choose.. I don't hunt but maybe outlaw hunting, I'm sure they'd choose not to die. Or fishing for that matter.

So does that mean having a pet is stupid? They obviously can't choose.. I don't hunt but maybe outlaw hunting, I'm sure they'd choose not to die. Or fishing for that matter.

The way my wife spoils our dog...they would choose to be here! As far as hunting...I think trophy hunting is barbaric too but if the hunters / fishermen eat what they kill it is OK. I'm sure other people will have a different view.

The way my wife spoils our dog...they would choose to be here! As far as hunting...I think trophy hunting is barbaric too but if the hunters / fishermen eat what they kill it is OK. I'm sure other people will have a different view.

But the point just like your horse choice analogy is that some animal being hunted probably doesn't want to be on someone's stove.

There's nothing inherently wrong with horse racing; but I think it's fair to judge the state of the practice. Bad breeding and drugging is ugly.

There's nothing at all wrong with hunting or fishing your food. Far more humane to let an animal live a wild life before you eat it than the stuff that happens in factory farms.

But the point just like your horse choice analogy is that some animal being hunted probably doesn't want to be on someone's stove.

I just think putting an animal in grave danger so we can bet on it is different than hunting and using the animal for food (Trophy hunting is wrong IMO). That's just my opinion.

yeah, i don't think horse racing needs to go away. its not like bullfighting and a couple horses dying at a race isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

funny hearing this from the guy who's reaction to cops killing an unarmed black kid or people of Flint poisoned by lead water is more or less "theyre poor and uneducated and got what they deserve"

yeah, i don't think horse racing needs to go away. its not like bullfighting and a couple horses dying at a race isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

funny hearing this from the guy who's reaction to cops killing an unarmed black kid or people of Flint poisoned by lead water is more or less "theyre poor and uneducated and got what they deserve"

He said that about the people of flint? Shit.

Back