Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rumor: Baylor in a tough spot with Art Briles's buyout

Gulo Blue

If you've seen the reports that Art Briles might be back at Baylor after a 1 year suspension and you're wondering how can this possibly be, there's a reddit thread with some guy that knows a guy. We all know how much that's worth, but I thought the possible explanation was interesting even if you take it with a grain of salt. The short version is that Baylor can't afford the buyout if they fire Briles without cause and it's not clear that the recent scandal can be tied directly to Briles based on what has been presented to the Regents.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/4nvlpp/personal_sources_im_a_baylor_alum_with_some/

they may need to be more forthcoming in their reporting then.

this thing couldnt really be more fucked up. pretty much everyone is coming out looking bad.

they may need to be more forthcoming in their reporting then.

this thing couldnt really be more fucked up. pretty much everyone is coming out looking bad.

Yeah, the decision to get their investigation reported to the regents verbally might need to be reconsidered. But if you're trying to dodge FOIA's, isn't that a pretty good clue that you're doing something wrong to begin with?

Last edited:
Yeah, the decision to get their investigation reported to the regents verbally might need to be reconsidered. But if you're trying to dodge FOIA's, isn't that a pretty good clue that you're doing something wrong to begin with?

why would they be subject to FOIA's? they're a private school.

why would they be subject to FOIA's? they're a private school.

Good point. So why would they get there report verbally? Just so they can say 'we have no report to release." ...They have Dave Brandon level PR right now, but in a much worse situation.

Good point. So why would they get there report verbally? Just so they can say 'we have no report to release." ...They have Dave Brandon level PR right now, but in a much worse situation.

I don't know.

I can only guess.

I think this whole thing was done quickly to minimize the fallout and distraction on next football season. They probably figured naming names made the school look worse than using passive voice to explain it away using "mistakes were made" type statements. they did still fire a number of people, so it wasn't about protecting everyone, just the school and program generally.

this approach may be misguided, since unanswered questions leave tantalizing threads for people pick at, but I don't really expect careful, well thougt out behavior from Rich Texans.

saw that Art Briles sued them for wrongful termination, and settled with them very soon after. that speaks to the carelessness with which this was done. I'm curious as to the settlement amount.

i wonder if they settled with Briles quickly because they already expected the suit and had the settlement amount approved? or maybe he was asking for only a little money to cover the cost of selling his opulent football-coach McMansion in Waco. I can't imagine there are a lot of potential McMansion buyers in Waco.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i just heard this story from a colleague who has been following more closely than i have. apparently, there's another ongoing lawsuit between Rape victim #1 against baylor and Briles as a codefedants.

Briles started saying he was going to apologize to the victim personally at the upcoming mediation to resolve her lawsuit, and making generous offers to settle with her, both of which would make Baylor look bad and put them in a worse position in that particular lawsuit.

subsequently Baylor settles Briles lawsuit, throwing money at him.

after getting this payoff, Briles reneges on his promise to apologize personally to the plaintiff/victim, and skips the mediation completely!

what a dick!

so i just heard this story from a colleague who has been following more closely than i have. apparently, there's another ongoing lawsuit between Rape victim #1 against baylor and Briles as a codefedants.

Briles started saying he was going to apologize to the victim personally at the upcoming mediation to resolve her lawsuit, and making generous offers to settle with her, both of which would make Baylor look bad and put them in a worse position in that particular lawsuit.

subsequently Baylor settles Briles lawsuit, throwing money at him.

after getting this payoff, Briles reneges on his promise to apologize personally to the plaintiff/victim, and skips the mediation completely!

what a dick!

Incredible. I saw a reddit thread about this. Apparently, the Big 12 is going to make a statement on the matter at some point this week.

Back