Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Season Predictions

everyoneneedsasmil

In the spirit of all ESPN's NHL previews and power rankings, I wanted to open up some discussion on how the fans here see the season going down. They could be anything, trivial or all-important, just want to see what we think.

My Predictions:
1) Red Wings finish 3rd in the conference (1st in Central) behind San Jose and LA.
2) Lidstrom plays like a top defender, but shows decline. He still re-ups for one year because...
3) Red Wings trade for Shea Weber one week prior to the deadline, pairing him with Lidstrom, which propels the team to...
4) Stanley Cup parade in downtown Detroit in 2012.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
In the spirit of all ESPN's NHL previews and power rankings, I wanted to open up some discussion on how the fans here see the season going down. They could be anything, trivial or all-important, just want to see what we think.

My Predictions:
1) Red Wings finish 3rd in the conference (1st in Central) behind San Jose and LA.
2) Lidstrom plays like a top defender, but shows decline. He still re-ups for one year because...
3) Red Wings trade for Shea Weber one week prior to the deadline, pairing him with Lidstrom, which propels the team to...4) Stanley Cup parade in downtown Detroit in 2012.

As much as I wish that would happen - I just cant see it. Nashville is a legit team this year and will almost certainly make the playoffs. They wont trade their heart and sole of the team to a hated divisonal rival at the deadline.

I see Nashville pulling a Cleveland and hanging on to Webber while trying to extend him until its too late and he bolts while they get nothing in return. Much Like Lebron did to Cleveland.

I like your other predictions - but I dont know if I would call the Wings the Stanley Cup favorties just yet..they need to prove that their veterans can stay healthy for an entire year and that their young guys can step up and actually produce.

Honestly, I wouldn't call them the favorites without a big upgrade somewhere on the blue line. We just plain gave up too many pucks and too many good shots last year. I have a hard time even seeing us beat the rest of the West without someone really breaking out (Kindl or Smith maybe).

And I see why you would expect the Lebron situation, but I think that message has also been sent loud and clear to the rest of the world. The only one who gets hurt when management plays hardball like that is the team. Already Carmelo and Deron Williams were traded to avoid that exact situation, and both teams came out very well in their trades. Nashville will try their hardest to sign him, but if he gives them the indication (behind closed doors, he's a professional) that he won't be resigning, they'll have no choice.

Also, I also just don't buy that Nashville will be a legit contender. They'll be pretty good, middle playoff seed good, but there is an echelon above them that they just can't reach. It won't help that their best players will all be looking over they shoulders to see if someone signs, whether Nashville will even have the cash to pay them the next year.

The defense will look new and improved this year. Ian White is going to fit right in, Kronwall is playing for his next contract, and Ericsson has to be better, right? Lids would not have resigned if he did not think we had a great shot at a Cup. The key word for the season is Health. Our run of bad luck has to come to an end. Let's hope that Mursak's preseason injury was the worst we will have to endure.

Back